E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Rattle - Low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

The rattle could be caused by the VANOS system. seals in the VANOS system turn hard and let oil drain out. The rattle is caused by the VANOS not having sufficient oil pressure upon start up. BMW does not sell the seals, but Besian Systems does (actually improved on the seal material) along with instructions on how to replace. With that said, I have rebuilt the VANOS system on my E46, but not sure if the E60 6 cylinders are the same and even available from Besian, but worth a look.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6 speed manual. Gray with tan interior. High performance floor mats.

Originally Posted by DavidF
The rattle could be caused by the VANOS system. seals in the VANOS system turn hard and let oil drain out. The rattle is caused by the VANOS not having sufficient oil pressure upon start up. BMW does not sell the seals, but Besian Systems does (actually improved on the seal material) along with instructions on how to replace. With that said, I have rebuilt the VANOS system on my E46, but not sure if the E60 6 cylinders are the same and even available from Besian, but worth a look.
Actually, I'd read somewhere that rather than the VANOS, it's the Valvetronic system, but I don't know if that is on the 6 cylinder engines. I believe it's still all speculation!

I can tell you this: With the hood up and cold engine running, I can hear it. It is a aluminum colored device just in front of (V-8) passenger side valve cover, but I think I've seen the same gizmo on all E60s. I don't believe it is belt driven. If I have enough posts, I will try to attach a photo today.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6 speed manual. Gray with tan interior. High performance floor mats.

Wait a minute. Stand back everyone, because I'm remembering something!

I believe it is a vacuum pump that is used on the Valvetronic engines, and yes it is on the newer 6 cylinder engines as well. Here's something I found on Wikipedia:

"The throttle plate defaults to a fully open position once the engine is running. The throttle will partially close when the engine is first started, to create the initial vacuum needed for certain engine functions, such as emissions control. Once the engine reaches operating speed, a vacuum pump run off the passenger side exhaust camshaft (on the N62 V8, exhaust cam on the N52/K) provides a vacuum source, much as a diesel engine would, and the throttle plate once again goes to the fully open position."

From this, I gather that the pump isn't being used when the engine is cold, and perhaps that's why it rattles?

Either way, it's an embarrassing sound. Neighbors look at me like there's something wrong with the car. I just drive by, waving.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Members

OK, Here's the photos. Do you I6 owners have the same thing?

Once again, Wikipedia says "a vacuum pump run off the passenger side exhaust camshaft (on the N62 V8, exhaust cam on the N52/K)". As you can see in the photos, the device that seems to be causing all the rattling in my car is mounted to the passenger side cylinder head, right in line with the exhaust cam.

We're having a nice global warming day here in VA (65°), and the durn thing still rattles even after 20 minutes at highway speed, so that kinda kills the idea that it stops rattling once it warms up.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Rattle - Low RPM-pump1.jpg   Engine Rattle - Low RPM-pump2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

So, according to the BMW ETK, a 2004 530i could have either a M54 or N52 engine. One used VANOS and the other valvetronic. The valvetronic engine has what appears to be a chain driven vacuum pump (so probably mounted lower on engine toward left side of car from center).

So, low rpm rattle is definately a system of VANOS seal failure. Given described location, it could be the a/c compressor clutch bearings. Not sure how the vacuum pump would rattle, but anything is possible.

And, it is Beisan Systems: www.beisansystems.com From Beisans website:

"Symptoms

Vanos rattle at a certain RPM range, often 1800-2200 RPM. Rattle can also occur at idle.

This vanos is manufactured with loose piston bearings. Thus all vanos units can rattle. For the vanos to rattle a resonance needs to be achieved in the camshaft lash and associate parts movements. Some car models are more susceptible to achieving this resonance and rattle than others.
Models susceptible to experiencing vanos rattle:
3-series E46 320i, 323i, 330i
5-series E39 520i, 523i, 530i
5-series E60 530i
Z3 all models.
This list will be updates as more data is collected."

Note: All models can and have experienced the vanos rattle.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Members

My Ride: >e60 530i 2004 6spd Sport + Winter Package >e39 530i 2001 5spd - M Sport Package Previous >e34 525i 1995 5spd

Thanks for the replies; will take some pictures from the engine Tomorrow (I'm positive is an M54) and will try to record the sound as well although it may be difficult to isolate.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Allen
Can't speak for the OP...but the rattle I'm talking about is definitely not the kind of regular rattle that we all search for and fix with felt, tape, etc...mine is something internal to the transmission/gearbox. I've often referred to it as "gear rattle". Mine is present when I'm sitting at a redlight, car in neutral, foot off clutch. It stops completely if I press in the clutch.
After reading these posts...I'm pretty sure my rattle is NOT the same as what you guys have...primarily because mine goes away completely when I press the clutch. As far as any other rattle/noise when the engine is cold...I have none of that.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

Ive also recently noticed this rattle, its nice to know its not just me because I have the same car as described in the OP. I feel a little better now