E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine overheat!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Default Engine overheat!

Ok, as I sit here waiting for a tow truck... I just got the overheat warning in yellow and started slowing down only to be followed by the overheat in RED. No steam and no visible leaks. Car seemed normal other than the warnings. Will get it towed back home and read the codes later today. I am assuming its a water pump but that's just a WAG. Any ideas? I'm not sure what the codes will say. Hopefully they inform me as to what it is like a pump etc... Car has 80000 so I imagine its about time.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Usually water pump or thermostat, given there are no leaks.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Yes i would think the thermo or pump. Thermo is easy to rule out, you can test it in your kitchen with a boiling pot of water. What does WAG stand for? Wacky Ass Guess? Hahaha sorry i don't know all these new 'urban' chat acronyms!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Almost. Wild ass guess! Just checked codes so I see 2E81 and 2E82 which both point to the pump. I guess this is the culprit. Was thinking about resetting codes then running to see if they return. But on the other hand if they don't then I would be afraid to go anywhere in it. I think I'll go ahead and order pump and therm tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to guess, run electric pump bleeding procedure and listen if the pump is running. Refer to this video. Prepare to fork $600 for the pump and thermostat. Ask me how I know. Don't forget replacement screws kit. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

So if I run the procedure and the pump runs, then you are saying its not a bad pump?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

I just ran the procedure and I can hear the pump but its not a steady sound. I would say that it seems to start and stop. Cap was on fill tank. Is there a certain sound that would Indicate a bad pump? Also, when I started the car after sitting for the last 9 hrs so indicating its cod, the fan comes on at a very high speed. I don't think I've heard this before. Ill post the sound clip in the morning.

Last edited by tonyb635; 04-15-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Members

Your pump operates normally. A good pump would do about 5 start/stop cycles and then work steady for a while bleeding the system.
But do you want to trust pump that failed you once?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

A good pump will start and stop a number of times and change in speed, but it should run very quietly. You can barely hear it. If it is noisy, I would replace it. I had to replace mine at around 35K miles.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dbond
Your pump operates normally. A good pump would do about 5 start/stop cycles and then work steady for a while bleeding the system.
But do you want to trust pump that failed you once?
I agree with you. Actually, I was thinking to change the pump the past week anyway. Rather do it on mine than the pumps, but I guess it got me first. Luckily I was not far from my house. Anyway, your video to me sounds a little like a smooth fish pump. When I run mine it sounds like a frog! And of course the fan comes on at super high speed.

Originally Posted by baveagle
A good pump will start and stop a number of times and change in speed, but it should run very quietly. You can barely hear it. If it is noisy, I would replace it. I had to replace mine at around 35K miles.
Ok, mine has 80K so I was thinking it was probably getting close to needing to be changed. I will try an post the sound clip in the next few hours. A friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be a sensor near the fire wall area. But I think he was only getting the yellow over heat msg, not the red overheated warning. I found a nice DIY and a site for the parts. OEM Pump is like 436.00 and therm is 85.00, two day shipping and my cost at work is 380.00n & 65 then a week or 10 days to get it. A indy shop estimated 1,000.00 to change them both. Just not sure if I am up to doing it myself. I'll be thinking to day and then will need to decide.

Quick Reply: Engine overheat!