E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Oil Pressure Too Low!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 07:45 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='May 14 2005, 09:38 AM
Could this be a false alarm ? Monday will see my ride with dealer!
[snapback]128423[/snapback]
That's a heck of a false alarm. After reading the thread, the minimal thing I would do would be to shut down reboot and see if it cleared. Otherwise, call for help.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 18 2005, 11:21 PM
Not trying to hijack here but one important question comes to mind when reading this thread -- If you don't accept the lawyer screen, will the oil pressure warning message be visible?

Obviously, it should be visible but does anyone know for sure?
[snapback]130447[/snapback]
Rudy, I believe it would show up in your HUD whether or not you had accepted the iDrive screen. Normal driving around the locale, I often make trips without ever touching iDrive, but have speedo and cruise plus warnings in the HUD.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Funny, my dads service advisor told him to ignore such warnings on the E60, they are only serious if they come back after restarting the car (sort of like Windows...).

He said if they listened to all such warnings, they would have nothing else to do than search E60s for non-existing problems....

Jochen
Old 05-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JDN' date='May 19 2005, 12:39 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='May 18 2005, 11:21 PM']Not trying to hijack here but one important question comes to mind when reading this thread -- If you don't accept the lawyer screen, will the oil pressure warning message be visible?

Obviously, it should be visible but does anyone know for sure?
[snapback]130447[/snapback]
Rudy, I believe it would show up in your HUD whether or not you had accepted the iDrive screen. Normal driving around the locale, I often make trips without ever touching iDrive, but have speedo and cruise plus warnings in the HUD.
[snapback]130671[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, the HUD would probably show it but I'm curious about the CID -- if a car didn't have HUD and the driver didn't accept the nag screen, would they see the critical message? (BMW doesn't even overrided the accept screen for the PDC display...)
Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' post='128423' date='May 14 2005, 08:38 AM
I was parking my ride this morning and this message appeared.
Attachment 7553
(sorry for the blurry pix - only camera with me at that time-my mobile phone!)

My immediate response was to check the engine oil - and it's on the upper mark, so it isn't the engine oil.

Next, I was checking for possibly broken gasket and NO, there don't seem to be any sign of leakage.

I decided NOT to drive and call athe 24-hour emergency service, afterall, the message dictate that Engine damage possible and I wouldn't be able to continue driving.

Within 30 mins, the technician came, started the car, look for FAULTS in the iDrive screen and there is NOTHING!

I have driven the car since the incident this morning and covered another 150 kms without incident.

Could this be a false alarm Monday will see my ride with dealer!
I had the same warning message (OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW) ,for 3 times already but after a few seconds the message is gone without restarting the engine.
I noticed that all cars with this problem were 530i.
My dealer couldn't figure out what was the problem because the warning message always disappears after a few seconds.
A newer software version could solve this problem?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 530I' post='209250' date='Dec 9 2005, 10:47 PM
I had the same warning message (OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW) ,for 3 times already but after a few seconds the message is gone without restarting the engine.
I noticed that all cars with this problem were 530i.
My dealer couldn't figure out what was the problem because the warning message always disappears after a few seconds.
A newer software version could solve this problem?
520i here cip 18.1
It happend to my once a month the last 3 months.
I noticed that appears when I haven't operate the car for a long time (i.e. 15 days at parking).
Old 12-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' post='128423' date='May 14 2005, 09:38 AM
I was parking my ride this morning and this message appeared.
Attachment 7553
(sorry for the blurry pix - only camera with me at that time-my mobile phone!)

My immediate response was to check the engine oil - and it's on the upper mark, so it isn't the engine oil.

Next, I was checking for possibly broken gasket and NO, there don't seem to be any sign of leakage.

I decided NOT to drive and call athe 24-hour emergency service, afterall, the message dictate that Engine damage possible and I wouldn't be able to continue driving.

Within 30 mins, the technician came, started the car, look for FAULTS in the iDrive screen and there is NOTHING!

I have driven the car since the incident this morning and covered another 150 kms without incident.

Could this be a false alarm Monday will see my ride with dealer!
With the software complexity, etc., one just expects falses. After doing what you did, I would have driven on, but I can't blame you for being nervous and calling assistance. Those kinds of messages are scary. We had a low tire false on our X5, and it took us a while to drive on with impunity. I am betting that you don't have a "real" problem.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

I've had this message once last year, and now, this weekend, I've seen it twice, riding pretty hard on a very steep mountain road. The message is gone in few seconds or when shutting engine off. However, my message was displayed first when I was about to stop the car, probably at idle.

BMW dealer told me it can be the sensor, as getting down the mountain (it goes up to 2000 meters high) the car complained that oil level is at minimum. I've immediately checked it with the dipstick and the level was at max. No wonder, since I've filled it up 2500 kms ago.

Any ideas if the oil pressure sensor is the same with oil level sensor, or there are many different sensors?
Old 08-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

I've found:

M54
The "oil pressure too low" CC message lights up.
If the oil level is OK, carry out the following measures:

- Replace the oil-pressure switch with part number 7 686 501 (0.15 bar)
- Change the oil in the engine to 5W40 or 0W40 as a matter of priority
- Increase the idle speed by 150 rpm.
These measures increase the robustness of the oil circuit if the oil pressure is too low.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 520d E60 N47D20A engine, 177HP
Default “Low pressure oil” explained.

Hi, guys. It happens for me to have a BMW 520d with the “fabulous” (yak!!!) N47D20A engine with over 250,000 miles on the dash. The engine was removed and cleaned in and out a few months ago by myself.

I have on and off that message on the iDrive but I have an idea why this is happening, so I thought I can clarify a few things.

So, there are a few causes: the most usual cause is that there is a leak somewhere, one of the gaskets is starting to fail BUT be aware, it doesn’t need to have an oil leak necessary (although normally there is a leak somewhere). Another reason can be the oil pressure sensor, but that’s not very common. A third reason can be a clogged oil circulation system inside the engine (generally the oil circulation system is very complex and it can have various causes to get clogged - such metal bits or plastics/rubber from the gaskets). A fourth reason - and the most costly one - is the oil pump itself, which in my car is located at the bottom of the engine right under the timing chain. The oil pump suction pipe can be either blocked (which happened to me, being blocked by bits falling from the poor quality timing chains guides) or the pump itself doesn’t create pressure in the system, causing the message you already know. In this case, the oil pump can be either reconditioned by a professional or simply changed with a new one, preferably.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Ireal; 09-22-2022 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Update