E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

Hi, today i had a bad morning. This error came on my computer when i drove the car in the first 5 minutes in the morning:
"Engine oil pressure
engine oil pressure too low.
engine damage possible
stop engine.it is not possible to continue your journey.contact...."

the engine was cold, it didn't have time to warm up. And also when i did stop the engine, the error was gone. It came up again 15 minute later when i was parking the car (i was going backwards)

anyone have any idea? i have an E60 520i from 2004.

thank you a lot for your answers.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by giorgioand' post='710309' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:39 PM
Hi, today i had a bad morning. This error came on my computer when i drove the car in the first 5 minutes in the morning:
"Engine oil pressure
engine oil pressure too low.
engine damage possible
stop engine.it is not possible to continue your journey.contact...."

the engine was cold, it didn't have time to warm up. And also when i did stop the engine, the error was gone. It came up again 15 minute later when i was parking the car (i was going backwards)

anyone have any idea? i have an E60 520i from 2004.

thank you a lot for your answers.
Check your oil level. Have you recently chaged your oil and filter? If the engine is not making any strange sounds (like it wants to self-destruct) it may be a bad sensor. But best to be safe and not sorry .. get it checked out by a qualified BMW Mechanic.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Members

hi luigi, i have checked the oil level... it is ok. YES i have changed the oil about 3500km ago. could be a problem from than? and why it is only showing this to me now?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

it's an oil sensor. it happened to me and took it a certified bmw mechanic - cost me about $300.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='710554' date='Nov 2 2008, 11:14 PM
it's an oil sensor. it happened to me and took it a certified bmw mechanic - cost me about $300.
+1
Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

It sounds like an oil sensor, especially since the oil level apparently is good. However, should there be a real problem with your oil pressure, better expect the worst if you decide to continue driving. If the oil pressure is insufficient, this means that not all parts of the engine will receive oil to lubricate them (typically the higher bits will remain dry). This will be terminal for the engine. It happened to me once with an old car; the oil pressure light came on briefly, but everything seemed normal. I continued driving and 300 km on, the engine started to make a horrific knocking sound at certain revs. The oil level turned out to be too low.
I took the engine apart and found two pistons that didn't receive enough oil. There was small iron scrap everywhere in the engine and the two corresponding cylinders had terrible grooves. RIP.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Members

oooo my gad boukehj that does not sound good at all. hopefully this is not the case...
and hopefully it is just the sensor.
i will watch for this error and if appears again often i will go to the mechanic.
is there any problem if this error appears again and i still use the car until i will go to mechanic?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by giorgioand' post='710664' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:08 AM
oooo my gad boukehj that does not sound good at all. hopefully this is not the case...
and hopefully it is just the sensor.
i will watch for this error and if appears again often i will go to the mechanic.
is there any problem if this error appears again and i still use the car until i will go to mechanic?
If it's the sensor (which appears most likely, given that your oil level is ok), then there is no problem at all with driving. If it's a real problem with the oil pressure, then you should really listen to the i-drive!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

just take the car to a bmw mechanic and get it fixed. Any warning lights that are oil related shouldn't be good, don't wait until your engine starts knocking.

good luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

As others have wisely stated, it may or may not be a faulty sensor. If there ever was an idrive message not to risk the usuall restart fix, it's this it. There are numerous factors that can lead to this warning, in spite of oil levels. Faulty/failing oil pump, sludge build-up in oil channels, VANOS seals out of tolerance, contamination, faulty/incorrect/clogged oil filter (rare but not impossibly so) - the list goes on. Taking a chance with coolant leaks is one thing. But loss of oil pressure - even for a relatively short period - can lead to catastrophobic engine failure. That it happens when oil viscosity is thickest (cold-start) can be telling. Metal-on-metal friction within the engine would require a tear-down and rebuild (or replacement). From scored cylinders to ruined main bearings, its not worth the risk. Have it towed and checked out ASAP.

Quick Reply: Engine oil pressure