E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Pressure Too Low!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was parking my ride this morning and this message appeared.
Engine Oil Pressure Too Low!-oilwarning.jpg
(sorry for the blurry pix - only camera with me at that time-my mobile phone!)

My immediate response was to check the engine oil - and it's on the upper mark, so it isn't the engine oil.

Next, I was checking for possibly broken gasket and NO, there don't seem to be any sign of leakage.

I decided NOT to drive and call athe 24-hour emergency service, afterall, the message dictate that Engine damage possible and I wouldn't be able to continue driving.

Within 30 mins, the technician came, started the car, look for FAULTS in the iDrive screen and there is NOTHING!

I have driven the car since the incident this morning and covered another 150 kms without incident.

Could this be a false alarm Monday will see my ride with dealer!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

I had the same thing!! They wouldn't even look at it for me, so I'm guessing it must happen frequently.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

ya usually if you you don't physically see the thing thats rong with the car by checking it yourself then the message is usally a fault I got a diffent message before that ended up fixing itself.. so I wouldn't be worried but im also not saying the the system is ALWAYS wrong
Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

YIKES! that would freak me out!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Members

IMO, whenever you get a message like that, the best thing would be to follow the instructions on the screen. that way you will not be liable for any damages to your car. shut the engine off, let the system reset itself, start the engine again. if the message reappears, then contact your dealer or the roadside assistance for troubleshooting and repairs. At times, the on board system may generate faulty signals. this usualy happens while the onboard processor is diagnosing the operating systems of your vehicle and could be reset by shutting off the engine and restarting it. similar to rebooting your PC.

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='May 14 2005, 10:38 AM
I was parking my ride this morning and this message appeared.
Attachment 7553
(sorry for the blurry pix - only camera with me at that time-my mobile phone!)

My immediate response was to check the engine oil - and it's on the upper mark, so it isn't the engine oil.

Next, I was checking for possibly broken gasket and NO, there don't seem to be any sign of leakage.

I decided NOT to drive and call athe 24-hour emergency service, afterall, the message dictate that Engine damage possible and I wouldn't be able to continue driving.

Within 30 mins, the technician came, started the car, look for FAULTS in the iDrive screen and there is NOTHING!

I have driven the car since the incident this morning and covered another 150 kms without incident.

Could this be a false alarm ? Monday will see my ride with dealer!
[snapback]128423[/snapback]
Old 05-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

Collected ride from dealer today - they checked the car and can't find any faults :'(

Apparently pressure tests shows OK and the suspect is now the CIP16.2 - if the warning comes again, I would have them change the sensor
Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I too would take this message seriously. There's no dials to check for oil preasure. The oil pump can be faulty and checking the oil dip stick would not indicate any problems.

There's not even a dial to check engine temp. which would indicate a problem with oil circulation.

Next release........oh well....
Old 05-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributors

Thank You for bringing this to our attention. This is how the forum really can help all of us.
My inclination is to restart the engine but not drive. If the pressure were low, it would be lower at idle and the message would have to return. Everything is still by the book and a false alarm identified.
People have had the radio come on by itself, the trunk open by itself, the alarm go on by itself... myself, I had the radio stay on for a minute after turning the ignition off. I had the steering collumn not retract on occasion and the radio not make a sound on a couple of occasions. Voice commands have been eratic at certain commands after software update. My VCR, DVD, TV and sound system hav had their glitches too. And don't get me listing the Microsoft bugs. Besides, Windows CE is the operating system for iDrive, so what do you expect?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Not trying to hijack here but one important question comes to mind when reading this thread -- If you don't accept the lawyer screen, will the oil pressure warning message be visible?

Obviously, it should be visible but does anyone know for sure?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 18 2005, 10:21 PM
Not trying to hijack here but one important question comes to mind when reading this thread -- If you don't accept the lawyer screen, will the oil pressure warning message be visible?

Obviously, it should be visible but does anyone know for sure?
[snapback]130447[/snapback]
Rudy,

I enjoy the name you coin for the warning message - lawyer screen LOL.

In Singapore, we manage to convince the dealer that it is absolutely absurd for the car to be insulting the owner everytime he starts his ride - heated words were exchanged , swearings thrown , sensible rationalising followed and hey..... they manage to convince the manufacturer that we don't need it!!!

So, with CIP 16.2, the "Lawyer screen" does not concern us anymore

All said, we still won't know if the lawyer screen supersedes????

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Pressure Too Low!