E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine oil pressure low.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not very often, but sometimes two times a day, in heavy traffic, I see for few seconds this message on the display.

I was in service, repeatedly with this "Engine oil pressure low".

They changed my oil level sensor, changed my oil pressure sensor and reprogrammed the car. Still no difference.

Someone was kind enough to seek in PUMA for me info about this message in connection with my engine M54B30, and I've got this:

Originally Posted by PUMA
5201879-02

M54
The "oil pressure too low" CC message lights up.
If the oil level is OK, carry out the following measures:

- Replace the oil-pressure switch with part number 7 686 501 (0.15 bar)
- Change the oil in the engine to 5W40 or 0W40 as a matter of priority
- Increase the idle speed by 150 rpm.
These measures increase the robustness of the oil circuit if the oil pressure is too low.
However, I've found out, the changed oil sensor was exactly the one from article in PUMA, which is a oil pressure sensor from a BMW motorcycle R1200GS.

But I still got this message sporradically, today I've seen it two times. It goes away relatively quickly, and userwise it is not stored anywhere.

Any help would be greately appreciated. THANKS!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

The only thing I can think of (as per the service bulletin) is to replace the oil with something with slightly lower viscosity at high temperatures, especially if the fault occurs at low running speeds and with a "hot" engine (i.e. traffic). But I'm pretty sure they've done that. What is the engine's idle speed? (I assume the message is coming out when you are at a standstill or nearly so)

Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Correctly. Low speed, coming to a halt. Engine is hot. Bling-Bling. Stop. Picture is gone from small display, but remains on the CID. However no orange error triangle, and no message is stored, after acknowledging.

I always used 0W40 BMW Longlife-01. Which is what PUMA recommends.

Should I think at broken oil pump? Should I trust the message, or should I ignore it without fear engine is damaged? How can the service diagnose this problem?

I appreciate idle speed at 750 rpm in P or N. In D, with brakes on, 600-650 rpm. Is there a way to find out more precisely?

I cannot logically connect this message to anything. First I've seen it, twice, was last November. Then nothing until this August, when I went up a mountain very spirited, very hot outside, and above 1400 m. Twice. I was scared, I stopped, checked oil level. Then in a week in service, changed oil level sensor (I also got a message about oil level, against visual dipstick check) and new oil. Then nothing for a long period. Then, after leaving my car parked 10 days in October. Bling-bling. Again, service, changed pressure sensor, then nothing until now. Bling-Bling.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

I've edited my previous message.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

@dlevi67: thanks a lot. Is very comforting to know there are guys out there trying to help me with this.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Indeed changing the oil with a lower viscousity level might work...but could it be from the oil pump? This sounds very serious...
Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

I am very reluctant to change my oil from 0W40 to anything else, especially this being the oil BMW recommends AND also PUMA article recommeds above.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

Car has a bit over 60.000 km.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

From what you are describing, it sounds like you have a slightly inefficient oil pump - so when the engine is very hot, the oil is also very fluid and the pump has some difficulty in generating enough pressure at idle. (I guess it's a gear-based pump)

One of the tricks for knowing when an engine is really nicely warm is to look at the oil pressure gauge: if it flops down at idle, the oil is warm! But it follows that if the engine is a little too warm, the pressure may go a little too low. Shame there is no gauge on the E60...

The more worrying scenario would be if the pump were severely inefficient - and then even though the oil is not too fluid it would have problems in pumping it. Hence my (and BMW's) suggestion of lower viscosity. But a) it seems you are already using a reasonable oil (BMW does not recommend going below 40, it seems) and b) if the symptoms disappear on you blipping the throttle, I'd be relieved - pump is fine except in marginal conditions (still annoying, but not dangerous)

For the idle speed, look at this thread, post 21. Once you have unlocked the cluster menu, it's under item #7.

Apologies for the rambling post.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

" if the symptoms disappear on you blipping the throttle, I'd be relieved" - well, it went away, not even with my help by bliping the throttle. It's just bling, bling, my eyes go down behind the steering wheel, see the red oil indicator just vanishing. No orange triangle remains. Just in CID, the message is full screen (stop engine, you cannot continue journey, call BMW, etc), waiting for ackowledgement by pressing the iDrive controller. After this, no trace remains for a user like me. Like nothing happened.

Should this message stay in messages until at least I restart the engine, or it is displayed only when oil pressure is not sufficient?

Anyway, I am not doing anything in order for this message to dissapear. It just goes away in less than 2 seconds.

The head of service at my dealer, knows about this problem, and they want to further investigate on Monday. I repeatedly asked if it is safe to drive, and not doing any harm to engine, and he said he's positive about it.

Quick Reply: Engine oil pressure low.