E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well driving home yesterday I get this message on the iDrive menu and the HUD "Engine Oil Pressure - engine oil pressure low, possible engine damage, swith off engine, continued driving not possible"

WTF

Was lucky that I had just left my parents home, so I turned around and coasted back. Did check the oil level and that seemed fine, as did all the messages in the iDrive service menu and the OBC claimed all was fine. I waited about 15 minutes and tried again, same thing. So pushed the SOS button and get connected to roadside assistance and a flatbed tow truck shows up in about 10 minutes! The sight of my "ride" on the back of a flat bed was not a sight I cared to ever see.

Went to the dealer this morning to get a loaner and they won't get to it until Monday, but my SA speculated that the oil pump was about to / had failed.

I don't recall anyone else have this problem, if anyone has, please share your experience and diagnosis! TIA

Cheers,
Old 02-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Had it happen in a E38 740i

Pump was replaced in 2 days ( 1 to get part )

All was perfect thereafter
Old 02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

UPDATE

just spoke to my SA, they have no idea what's wrong with my car. They have to speak to BMW NA before they can do any "internal engine work" as all the external diagnosis did not solve the problem...needless to say, I did not like the sound of that.

With today being a holiday, they can only talk to NA tomorrow. Does anyone have any similar experience with their dealer having to talk to NA and any service work?

TIA
Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530I, '98 328I & '94 Civic DX(5spd)

Tonight, just about to get off the car infront of a restaurant this warning showed up. I already know some had this problem before so I just turned off everything and hopefully it will not show up again when I come back. Well when I went back , I checked the oil level and it was ok and started the car, everything was ok again no warning and drove home (about 5 miles). I don't know if I have to continue driving the car or I should take it to the dealer rightaway. But I'll try to call my SA tomorrow and see what he will tell me. I needed some other things to be fixed anyway (clunk on steering wheel once in a while while manuevering around corners and the the sunroof windnoise).
Attached Thumbnails Engine Oil Pressure-pix_7_1.jpg  
Old 02-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by POGI' post='393366' date='Feb 19 2007, 09:55 PM
Tonight, just about to get off the car infront of a restaurant this warning showed up. I already know some had this problem before so I just turned off everything and hopefully it will not show up again when I come back. Well when I went back , I checked the oil level and it was ok and started the car, everything was ok again no warning and drove home (about 5 miles). I don't know if I have to continue driving the car or I should take it to the dealer rightaway. But I'll try to call my SA tomorrow and see what he will tell me. I needed some other things to be fixed anyway (clunk on steering wheel once in a while while manuevering around corners and the the sunroof windnoise).

POGI - I see you are in the Dallas area, which dealer are you going to. I am at BMW of Dallas?

Here is a picture of my message....

Engine Oil Pressure-img_3436__medium_.jpg
Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Thats a damned fine warning message ... I can see myself grinding to a halt on the M1 (long UK freeway) ... The police officer asking me why I've parked up in the fast lane and my response being ... "continued driving not possible"
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bokke' post='393446' date='Feb 20 2007, 08:02 AM
POGI - I see you are in the Dallas area, which dealer are you going to. I am at BMW of Dallas?

Here is a picture of my message....

Attachment 28824
I called roadside assistance early this morning and had my car taken (flatbed) to the dealership (Classic BMW). I went there noontime to check on the car and both me and my SA went to check the car. When he switched the car on, a lot of warnings/errors came out ( transmission fault, window fault, battery). My SA took pictures of each using his cellphone. He told me there are alot of software issues going on. But he said they will have to check on it and find out what is really triggering all those faults. Well I hope there's nothing major. I just had this car serviced and fixed with some other issues 2 weeks ago and stayed at the dealership for more than a week. And here it goes again, I just don't know how long it will stay with them this time.

Bokke . Give me an update on your car. And nice to know that you're from Dallas too. Maybe we'll see each other sometime during meets.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

POGI - picked my car up today, the cause was "oil was contaminating the oil pressure switch and causing a short" They replaced the oil pressure switch and all is normal. The process in dealing with a new SA during this process has been my worst BMW experience to date....

Now the fun part, when my car was flat-bedded to the dealer last Friday, when the tow truck drive "tied" down the car at the left rear wheel, he cranked it so hard that the rear wheel moved at a quarter inch and I said to him "I hope that does not F-up the alignment!" So guess what happens after I pick the car and start driving back to the office on LBJ Freeway? A major vibration at highway speed! I am so pissed!!! I drive it right back to the dealer and get back in the loaner and back to the office.... :thumbsdown:

My next quess is that they going to get me to pay for the alignment
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bokke' post='393976' date='Feb 21 2007, 02:19 PM
POGI - picked my car up today, the cause was "oil was contaminating the oil pressure switch and causing a short" They replaced the oil pressure switch and all is normal. The process in dealing with a new SA during this process has been my worst BMW experience to date....

Now the fun part, when my car was flat-bedded to the dealer last Friday, when the tow truck drive "tied" down the car at the left rear wheel, he cranked it so hard that the rear wheel moved at a quarter inch and I said to him "I hope that does not F-up the alignment!" So guess what happens after I pick the car and start driving back to the office on LBJ Freeway? A major vibration at highway speed! I am so pissed!!! I drive it right back to the dealer and get back in the loaner and back to the office.... :thumbsdown:

My next quess is that they going to get me to pay for the alignment
you mean, even if it's the truck's fault you still have to pay for it? It was roadside assistance who sent you the tow truck so it is suppose to be BMW whose at fault not you. Well I hope my flatbed truck didn't do the same thing.