E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine oil level at minimum - miles left?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine oil level at minimum - miles left?

Hey all, I've gotten this error message throughout the life of my '08 535, so this is nothing new to me - I usually get it topped off at the dealership the very next morning. But, I've always wondered, how many miles left do I have before needing to add a quart? I ask because I just got the message after parking at work (Thursday morning), and I actually have a service appointment this Saturday morning. So it'd be more convenient to wait the extra day.

Not to make this a math problem, but I have 45 miles to commute home, and then 90 miles round trip total tomorrow. So 135 miles total. Is the "minimum level" enough to make it through a day?

I've driven it home countless times after getting the message, just never a full day with it on. I'm obviously more inclined to err on the side of caution and bring it in tomorrow morning anyways, but I've always been curious about the miles left/burning oil ratio.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

If you go to the dealership to get the oil topped off then I'd advise you to take the car in tomorrow morning.

You can also go to Wal-Mart and buy a quart of Mobil1 0W40 European Formula or Valvoline 5W30 Synpower synthetic oil for ~$7 and put it in yourself.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

This is just an advisory light that says you are one qt low. Just about every e60 that I had will have this message if I wait until the computer tells me to change the oil. Often it seems to come on around 1000-3000 before actually due. Some years ago I started doing mid oil changes and no longer have this problem. I personally would not have an issue at all driving my car a few days if I had an oil change scheduled and the light illuminated. When you are at the dealer and they change your oil, you should grab two qts and put away for the next time that light illuminates. All you have do is just add a qt. when it does. Every once and a while I will also check the oil level in the drive. You can see it over time going down a little. Sometimes I will just add a some then, but this becomes a little bit of a guess as to how much.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:15 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I'd drive it for a few days with the light on if it was mine and I didn't have a spare bottle. A quart/liter low in a 7 quart sump is a negligible drop IMO. If you're paranoid, just drive easy since lower oil quantity can result in higher oil temps.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough call for you guys without a dip stick.

I got into the habit years ago of checking my dip stick once per week or so, and for each car I have owned I have learned the car's oil usage habits. I have used synthetic oil in all of my cars for 30 years (nearly all purchased new) so most haven't used a drop.

But for whatever reason, my 545i doesn't like a full sump. If after an oil change I fill it to the "full" line on the stick, over 1000-1500 miles it will drop to exactly the half way point between full and down one quart, then not use another drop until it is time the change the oil at 5K miles. If I fill it to the half way point during the oil change it will not use a drop for the full 5K miles between oil drains. I have learned to fill it only to the half way point and leave it there. Strange, but that's the story.

If your car uses a quart every 3K or 4K miles then unless you are leaving tonight to drive cross country you needn't worry. However, if your car never uses oil and used a quart this week then things could get a little more dicey.

I would play it safe and spend $7 or $8 and throw a quart in (if you have never done it the sales person at an auto store will do it for you). If you have a leak that will at least give you an additional one quart buffer.

Make sure you have the mechanic check for a leak while it is being serviced.