E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Mount DIY for 535xi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xI Wagon
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by audiophool
What exactly does this have to do with your car having AWD?
to answer that, i will have to ask you what the point of having AWD in a car is for? as in why did the manufacturer decide to put AWD in their cars?
short answer, traction.
i grew up in Vermont. learning how to drive with snow, black ice, and generally bad weather helps you learn car control. i also only had 2WD trucks for the first few years of driving. look at where most of the WRC drivers come from, its not sunny locations.
even if i still lived in Vermont, i'd prefer RWD with a good set of snow tires. i simply don't want, or need AWD. but that's just me. but, to each his own.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
to answer that, i will have to ask you what the point of having AWD in a car is for? as in why did the manufacturer decide to put AWD in their cars?
short answer, traction.
i grew up in Vermont. learning how to drive with snow, black ice, and generally bad weather helps you learn car control. i also only had 2WD trucks for the first few years of driving. look at where most of the WRC drivers come from, its not sunny locations.
even if i still lived in Vermont, i'd prefer RWD with a good set of snow tires. i simply don't want, or need AWD. but that's just me. but, to each his own.
And yet you bought a car with AWD. Might be best to sell it and get another RWD car.

I too 'cut my teeth' driving RWD cars on snow and ice - look at my sig and figure out where I live. Yes, it gets cold here and we get a lot of snow and ice, but we also have one of the highest 'blue sky day' aka 'sunny' percentages in NA. I've lived here since birth and started driving with RWD cars in about 1980, and regardless of financial situation, have always put winter tires on for winter driving. The first snow day of the year and you'd find me in parking lots exploring the handling potential of the car (read: spinning doughnuts and perfecting the "Canadian Flick"). The car that was the most 'fun' to drive in winter was my E34 M5. Did I have much trouble getting stuck with RWD? No. Does that mean I can't like the 4-wheel pull of AWD? Because I do. My xi has Nokian R winters and it pulls on snow nearly as well as on dry roads, much to the consternation of my wife (there are fingernail divots in the passenger side armrest).

I'm happy with my choice and the fact that BMW made the x-drive. In fact we have 3 AWD BMWs - 2x E53 and the E60. I'd change none of them. Sure, the additional hardware makes service a PITA for some things. Sure, xi limits options for modding. Still like it.

But I'm also fascinated by this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rbttuning.xDelete&fbclid=IwAR1dDd6v yYiCDm53Vz4jWf7f1CJKZrFlavm_Xan8mx7-flkjV6gplQPdBoA

Last edited by audiophool; 12-15-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:47 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi base sedan

I am also interested in this.. how would you connect to the BMW? USB to ODBII?
[not familiar with coding]

Agreed, everyones got their own preference.

Zero cool, what are you gonna do about the 4x4 AWD error you will probably get with the hardware delete? or is as simple as a = 0 in code?
Old 12-16-2018, 09:19 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Pegasusxi
AFAIK you use a bluetooth module to the OBD port, and talk to it with the phone.
On another note, buddy has a 2009 X6 (E71) and it has a torque vector display on the dash that shows what % of power is going to each wheel. I'm wondering if it can be applied to E60/1. https://imgur.com/q18Lpmd
Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 PM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

I believe only the X6 has torque vectoring according to Wikipedia.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 AM
New Members

And yet you bought a car with AWD. Might be best to sell it and get another RWD car.
But I'm also fascinated by this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkjV6gplQPdBoA
i bought a wagon, they are only available with AWD in the states. trust me i looked.
i don't dislike AWD in general. it has its uses and perks.

that app looks amazing. when i am ready i might just give a try.
i am using Evan's build thread as inspiration for the RWD conversion. i will stay auto trans though, so it should be a bit more simple.

Originally Posted by Pegasusxi

Agreed, everyones got their own preference.

Zero cool, what are you gonna do about the 4x4 AWD error you will probably get with the hardware delete? or is as simple as a = 0 in code?
not sure yet. it's a coding thing, i just haven't looked deeply into it yet as i am not ready. i have lots of other maintenance things i want to do first. sadly one is an oil pan gasket. an i have to remove just about every thing i would remove to do the conversion, aside from the trans. at least i will have experience.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
I believe only the X6 has torque vectoring according to Wikipedia.
Right, that's the DPC torque-vectoring rear axle. Guess I was just thinking it would be nice if the E60 system could display front/rear split on the display like the X6 does. Another reason to get an X6, aside from the fact it's a damn cool vehicle. More sport, less utility but still feels like driving a sedan. I only drove buddy's once, but would 10/10 switch.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:20 AM
New Members

i bought a wagon, they are only available with AWD in the states. trust me i looked.
i don't dislike AWD in general. it has its uses and perks.

that app looks amazing. when i am ready i might just give a try.
i am using Evan's build thread as inspiration for the RWD conversion. i will stay auto trans though, so it should be a bit more simple.
Makes sense. I picked my sedan with X-Drive because I wanted it (precioussss). I really like the E61 too. More floor space than an E53 actually, and just as fun to drive as the E60.

OT: The only car I've ever purchased new was a 2007 Infiniti G35x. All the car magazines said the G35x was 99% as good as a BMW so I bit. At the time, I was feeling flush and took a chance. All the car magazines were dead wrong. The Infiniti wasn't even a scratch on a BMW for driving feel, quality or character. Sure, it was capable, but it felt like driving an appliance. It has the most intrusive stability control system I've ever encountered. One time I was pulling out into traffic on snow, it detected slip and it was if the engine stopped - nearly got t-boned. Buddy with the X6 nick-named it "Maytag". For $4000 more (too much of a stretch), I could have had, and should have stretched to a 330xi. After a few years I found a guy who lusted after the G35x and swapped his 2008 G37S (6MT) for it. At least that car had a stick and that allowed some semblance of driving pleasure. Regrets...

BTW, Nissan/Infiniti call their stability control VDC. With it on, it kills any and all fun. Turn it off and the car is un-driveable on snow. Love me the BMW DTC mode!

Last edited by audiophool; 12-17-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi base sedan

BTW, Nissan/Infiniti call their stability control VDC. With it on, it kills any and all fun. Turn it off and the car is un-driveable on snow. Love me the BMW DTC mode!
Good to know, thanks

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
i have lots of other maintenance things i want to do first. sadly one is an oil pan gasket. an i have to remove just about every thing i would remove to do the conversion, aside from the trans. at least i will have experience.
Same exact spot here. I think I have a transmission leak too.. Going to try and get as much as I can done while I am down there, with the time I have, and I am blessed to have as much time as I have for now. This could have been tricky at another time of the year. Hope you get to stay warm!

Last edited by Pegasusxi; 12-17-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:20 PM
New Members

just ordered my gasket, engine mounts, trans case mount, and some gaskets/o-rings for the oil return lines from the turbo, in case those are leaking also.
not really looking forward to this job, but i will be saving a ton of money. and i have a second (and third) car to drive if i need, so i can take my sweet ass time on it, if i need to.

Quick Reply: Engine Mount DIY for 535xi?