E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Malfuntion & Other issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take it to a different dealer as well to see if they have better/compitent technicians.

ON top i would contact BMWNA with this and make sure you also write a letter to them as well and let them take care as they have authority to resolve this more than the dealer.

At the same time if its coming up to no resolution i would follow up with the lemon law and see if bmw na fails to do anything then maybe its time to envoke your rights when it comes to lemon law and see if you can get resolved.

I don't think you as a consumer who pays top dollar for a vehicle should have to go with headaches like these...
Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Sounds like the CCC aka car computer is the problem.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Members

k,the dealer told me that the engine malfunction warning is coming on due to a faulty fuel pump.(only time will tell) they also said that rear brake sensor was bad and thats why my brakes were making noise.they had to order some parts for the keys and the comfort access. but when i brought up the ticking the engine makes he just played it off like im hearing things and then he told me that HIS 335i makes the same noise, and its normal for both of these cars to tick because they are the only one with this engine. i told him after i pick the car up im going to test drive a brand new 535 to see if it is. i find it hard to belive that bmw makes one car that sounds like this and all the rest sound fine!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by vandal1x' post='558275' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:22 PM
k,the dealer told me that the engine malfunction warning is coming on due to a faulty fuel pump.(only time will tell) they also said that rear brake sensor was bad and thats why my brakes were making noise.they had to order some parts for the keys and the comfort access. but when i brought up the ticking the engine makes he just played it off like im hearing things and then he told me that HIS 335i makes the same noise, and its normal for both of these cars to tick because they are the only one with this engine. i told him after i pick the car up im going to test drive a brand new 535 to see if it is. i find it hard to belive that bmw makes one car that sounds like this and all the rest sound fine!
My 535 doesn't tick or creak, yours shouldn't either - period! That dealer is giving you the run around. Let me know and i'll swing by, so you can hear my car. I'm in Burbank. Seriously!

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='558286' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:46 PM
My 535 doesn't tick or creak, yours shouldn't either - period! That dealer is giving you the run around. Let me know and i'll swing by, so you can hear my car. I'm in Burbank. Seriously!

Good luck.
thanks for the offer man! i dont want you to drive all the way down,ill just test drive one and drive it to the service department then call bmw na.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Members

Just heard back from the dealer. They said they sent it off for a PUMA reading (not sure what that means) but it came back with a faulty fuel injector. They're waiting for the part to arrive and we should have the car back by tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by 1stbimmer' post='559161' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:37 AM
Just heard back from the dealer. They said they sent it off for a PUMA reading (not sure what that means) but it came back with a faulty fuel injector. They're waiting for the part to arrive and we should have the car back by tomorrow.

Hope all issues are resolved.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

1st Bimmer / C's Bimmer - sorry I'm just reading this - been traveling for work and not on the forum. I did read the thread and it sounds like you are close to getting things worked out. I hope that is the case and would like to see what it finally turns out to be because mine is doing some of the same things:
1) Hard Starting / too much cranking to get it to start...this was only happening on occaision - now it's become more frequent and will happen weather the engine is cold or hot.
2) Just LAST NIGHT, my 1st "Engine malfunction / operating at reduced power" warning came on...I had to drive it home that way several miles. I let it sit for 20 minutes and restarted - no issues ...
3) Passenger rear window "Anti-Trap" has tripped and the window now has to be raised and lowered in 4 inch steps (auto up/down) will not function. Dealer tried to help by doing the manual reset to no avail.

I'm going to have to get it into the dealer (25 miles each way) and just haven't had the time to tie up a day doing this. I'll post my results.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by 1stbimmer' post='559161' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:37 AM
+1 - anyone explain what a PUMA reading is?

thx
Old 04-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Yesterday the "engine Malfunction-reduced power" light came on in my 535i. I didn't appreciate anything wrong, even the power seemed normal. Restarted the engine after 15 minutes and the sign was gone. Thank God.

Quick Reply: Engine Malfuntion & Other issues