E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Malfuntion & Other issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 535i. Within 2 days of getting the car we had an engine malfuntion - message saying that the car was operating at reduced power with a check engine light. The car went to the dealer who diagnosed a cylinder misfire (so they say) and the car was given back to us.

The engine malfuntion has now happened 3 more times in the last 6 months. We tried another dealer who said that this could be the result of letting the gas level get to low (I think BS). We've also had the check oil light come on twice, but when we check the oil level the oil is fine. The park distance control says it has malfuntioned, and then somehow correcct istelf; and iDrive will cycle through differnt functions - navigation, entertainment, address or randomly start calling people without anyone touching the sytsem.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

We're in touch with BMW North America - but getting a bit of the run-a-round.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

My fellow E60'ers - This member happens to be a very good friend of mine. If any of you that own a 535 or know what might be causing these issues and what a possible resolution might be, please speak up. If you know any good dealers in the LA area that can help him, beyond the help he's currently getting from his dealer, that would be great.

Much appreciated!

/C
Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by 1stbimmer' post='557488' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:55 AM
I have a 2008 535i. Within 2 days of getting the car we had an engine malfuntion - message saying that the car was operating at reduced power with a check engine light. The car went to the dealer who diagnosed a cylinder misfire (so they say) and the car was given back to us.

The engine malfuntion has now happened 3 more times in the last 6 months. We tried another dealer who said that this could be the result of letting the gas level get to low (I think BS). We've also had the check oil light come on twice, but when we check the oil level the oil is fine. The park distance control says it has malfuntioned, and then somehow correcct istelf; and iDrive will cycle through differnt functions - navigation, entertainment, address or randomly start calling people without anyone touching the sytsem.

Damn! Sorry to hear about your problems. I have the same car - fortunately i've not experienced any issues whatsoever with my car, NOTHING. Sounds like a lemon law candidate, but I think your taking the right steps by notifying BMWNA.

Good luck and keep us posted - M
Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Hey C how's it going?

1stbimmer, what's the build year on the car? I had numerous problems when I bought my first 535xi but nothing like your describing. My problems were related to wheel allignments, high fuel pressure pump, (which was redisigned), the car not starting because of the fuel pump. The car left me stranded several times for hours because it would not start. I would keep trying every 10 minutes or so because I did not want to damage anything else by holding down the start button. I had problems from inception just like you. I took my fight to the dealership and avoided contacting BMWNA. I felt that handeling it this way and keeping it professional was the best recipe. I did loose my cool several times but in a very professional way. I worked my way up to the director of service who was under the GM for the dealership. Without getting into the whole long 4 month story I prevailed and was able to order a new car and they bought mine back. It took 3 months for delivery but it was worth the wait. The first car I bought was a March 08 build and I bought it in april so it was the first production. The second car was a September 08 build which I received in october. So far no problems with the new one other than a little rattleling I hear from time to time, when I hit a bump, in the front right side of the dash board. The words I used during my arguments with management were expectation of enjoyment is gone, the marriage is over, I bought the car not leased, put yourself in my shoes, this is not how I envisioned BMW, I really trusted this company. You have to use all these in context and try to get them to see you side of the story which is really hard. You have to sell them the sad story.

Good luck and I hope you get this resolved. Use good judgement and make wise decisions and think things over before you answer while your extremely upset. It worked for me.. Trust me I know how you feel !!!

Rick..

Search the forums for my extremely long list of problems and how I went about it.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by 1stbimmer' post='557488' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:55 PM

that is messed up, and sounds like if it isn't adderssed properly, it will become a long term headache (right Westcoast550). You need to start comunicating in writing, so that you will have a copy of what BMW-NA & the dealer tell you. I would also include this site in your CC so they know that you have a 19K + community of BMW owners that is very interested in a positive outcome to your issues. Also, this sounds like a software problem so ask when the BMW tech is comming to the dealer and set up an apointment to have him/her carefully go through you car. Keep us posted.

Phill
Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1stbimmer' post='557488' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:55 PM

Hey man, I only have gotten a engine malfunction once and it was around 2000 miles and i was told it was a bad sensor. Could be, or couldnt be.

I always let me gas get low, i mean reserve tank low and i dont think thats causing the engine lamp to come on.

I have also have the computer programmed twice, just got it back again today from a same computer problem, with my wipers going insane, PDC malfunction, Wiper Fluid low and Replace rear brake pads.

I work for the plant in SC, so when we have problems with our cars they try to make us keep driving them without them fixing it right away, but i have over 11,000 miles on this 535 and its becoming a constant issue. I get a 528i sedan next and i hope i have no problems with it. This is my 3rd 2008 5 series and 2nd 535i. My very first one was a charm, no problems at all!

However, the dealer may be trying to get over on you without having to fix the issue, continue to stay contacted with BMWNA on the issue. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Contributors

Sounds like a possible Lemon, but you seem to have a handle on things. Make sure you document everything, and keep a spreadsheet of the dates & events/problems.

When I "Lemoned" my Lexus, one important thing was the mileage when the first problem happened; that's the bookmark for calculating the amount of money they would pay me for the car (I'm in NH... CA may be different). I had the issues well documented, which resulted in getting $5,000 more than they were originally going to give me.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Members

hey man i know what your talking about! i also have an 08 535i with this problem. just took the car to the dealer today so ill let you know what they say. ive heard ticking for awhile and when i took it in to get the oil changed they said it was normal.? i didnt know that when you buy a 60,000 dollar car its normal for it to sound like a 1,500 dollar piece of !@$#@.
anyways again i have told them about the ticking and the engine malfunction the comfort access not working along with other problems! if they tell me this is normal or cant fix it im going to contact bmw na and have them get involved,i would advise you to do the same. good luck and let me know if you find anything out.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Members

Thanks for all the feedback. This has been a pretty frustrating experience... but hopefully it will get resolved. The car is going back in to the shop today. When I called them yesterday about the check engine light coming back on they finally admitted that it sounds like something is wrong. I'll let you know what I hear back and how things progress. I'm also going to ask for the fault codes so I can post them here.

Thanks for the hep - great forum!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Just a prime time bump for a member in trouble......and here is one more. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53068&hl=

Quick Reply: Engine Malfuntion & Other issues