E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Malfunction Reduced Power Message!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same error of reduced power multiple times over the last two years. I also had it bog to the point it was a struggle to keep the car at 40mph, if I slowed to <2000rpm it would stall. The problem is that the car would do it for a few weeks and then nothing for months. I'm currently on a 6 month streak without an issue and I have not repaired anything yet.

I say ignore it and keep driving the car until it becomes a persistent issue and then try to have it fixed.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by lincvert
I've had the same error of reduced power multiple times over the last two years. I also had it bog to the point it was a struggle to keep the car at 40mph, if I slowed to <2000rpm it would stall. The problem is that the car would do it for a few weeks and then nothing for months. I'm currently on a 6 month streak without an issue and I have not repaired anything yet.

I say ignore it and keep driving the car until it becomes a persistent issue and then try to have it fixed.
I dont mean to be a PITA but is ignoring it really a good thing to do? These things "usually" happen for a reason... Limp Home Mode or reduced power is there to save you from killing your car... I would say get it scanned and see what error messages are being stored. Just because the dash light go away or no other error messages show up doesnt mean your car isnt throwing errors... If OP Primetime ignored his he very well could have seized his engine after his t-stat stopped working since our cars dont have a temp gauge if he just ignored the warning.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by laro1965
After church yesterday, started the car and as I began pulling out of my spot I got the "Engine Malfction - Reduced Power" message. I continued driving out of the lot and onto a main street. I didn't notice anything different (I never went past 30 mph though). I pulled in the first available parking lot. I turned it off. Then turned it back on and everything was cleared. No messages in the control panel or anything. Drove home and the car since then has been behaving like normal. Any ideas as to what happened? I tried to do a search and someone suggested dirty gas. I had put in a few gallons of sub 91 octane gas (which I never do!) and the night before I had filled up with the 91 octane fuel. I don't know if that would be it.

Any help is appreciated...

BTW - my CPO/Maint agreement just ran out last week!!!
This just happened to me today! It has cleared up for now but i plan on taking it in to the stealership to have it checked out. I have read many threads on this issue and it seems as though there could be several reasons. HFPF (although mine was already replaced), fuel injectors (although mine have already been inspected), AC issues, turbos. Did you ever figure out what caused this issue for you?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by laro1965
After church yesterday, started the car and as I began pulling out of my spot I got the "Engine Malfction - Reduced Power" message. I continued driving out of the lot and onto a main street. I didn't notice anything different (I never went past 30 mph though). I pulled in the first available parking lot. I turned it off. Then turned it back on and everything was cleared. No messages in the control panel or anything. Drove home and the car since then has been behaving like normal. Any ideas as to what happened? I tried to do a search and someone suggested dirty gas. I had put in a few gallons of sub 91 octane gas (which I never do!) and the night before I had filled up with the 91 octane fuel. I don't know if that would be it.

Any help is appreciated...

BTW - my CPO/Maint agreement just ran out last week!!!
I see that your car is a 2004 model. I own an '06, and before my software was updated I used to get all manners of warnings that would come on once and never came back. The dealer could never find a stored code, so if it is a one-time occurrence I wouldn't bother wasting time. Since you never experienced a real power loss, I would blame the old software gremlins and keep on driving. If it happens again, I would take a picture of the warning and make an appointment with the dealer.

Good luck
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Members

Hi Laro,

I had this message once (I have 520D E60). It wasn't intermittent though. Turned out to be the turbo, which was showing overpressure, so the car disables it to protect itself. It needed a turbo "repair kit" which was done under warranty. Seems to be a regular problem (hence why BMW have the "repair kit" as a stock item).

I'd get it looked at. You could save yourself a lot more expense later on if something does go seriously wrong! As someone has already said, the fault code should be stored so your dealer can tell you exactly what the car thinks is wrong.

Good Luck

James.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

I'm going to put my money on the battery - I had weird messages showing up when my original battery was getting weak and old. The battery never fully failed, and once I replaced the battery all my gremlin messages went away.