E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER - Error message

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i Mtech front bumper, M172 rims, 2007 Audi Q7 4.2L

thanks so much for all your suggestions and help Glock i appreciate it.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by good anti' post='568202' date='Apr 25 2008, 02:48 PM
thanks so much for all your suggestions and help Glock i appreciate it.

Your welcome. I am kind of bummed we couldn't get to the bottom of it with yours (seems like just a waste of time since all this did not yield any results). Maybe you can find someone who has a known working one and give it a try or try yours on theirs.

I assumed you had your engine running to clear the lights. I noticed yesterday (when I removed mine), if you just turn the key on without starting the engine the lights will stay there until you re-start the engine then takes a few seconds to clear. When I do get the lights (upon initial install or removal) the pedal is dead too, like yours.

I took mine off and I think I am liking it better without it anyways. Granted I am driving an M5 so I don't really know why I need it to "feel" any faster anyways. Well I think I would like the option to turn it on or off and I might try to wire a switch or just sell it...

Good luck...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i Mtech front bumper, M172 rims, 2007 Audi Q7 4.2L

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='568313' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:25 PM
Your welcome. I am kind of bummed we couldn't get to the bottom of it with yours (seems like just a waste of time since all this did not yield any results). Maybe you can find someone who has a known working one and give it a try or try yours on theirs.

I assumed you had your engine running to clear the lights. I noticed yesterday (when I removed mine), if you just turn the key on without starting the engine the lights will stay there until you re-start the engine then takes a few seconds to clear. When I do get the lights (upon initial install or removal) the pedal is dead too, like yours.

I took mine off and I think I am liking it better without it anyways. Granted I am driving an M5 so I don't really know why I need it to "feel" any faster anyways. Well I think I would like the option to turn it on or off and I might try to wire a switch or just sell it...

Good luck...
the lights only come on when it is installed and the engine is running.
i don't get it any other time.
i have read over your posts several times but i feel I'm missing the meaning of clearing the lights.

have you heard of any BMWs that no SB will work in?
could this be a software problem or upgrade that needs to be done to fix this problem?

in any case i am sending back the SB to the user i bought it from to see if it still works in his car on Monday.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by good anti' post='568330' date='Apr 25 2008, 05:42 PM
the lights only come on when it is installed and the engine is running.
i don't get it any other time.
i have read over your posts several times but i feel I'm missing the meaning of clearing the lights.

have you heard of any BMWs that no SB will work in?
could this be a software problem or upgrade that needs to be done to fix this problem?

in any case i am sending back the SB to the user i bought it from to see if it still works in his car on Monday.
Cool, let us know. A few in this thread returned theirs with never discovering the problem. That is what I am beginning to suspect (problem with some cars software, whatever or just some cars are too sensative to it). I am sure that pedal is monitored closely for any failures by the car...

Alright, as far as clearing the lights (think you did this)...

On my car 3 out of 4 times (installing or removing). I got DSC malfunction, red cog of death, etc. and the pedal is dead...

I turn the car off, wait and then start again.
Lights did not seem to clear at first upon restarting the car, but a few second later they went away (maybe one warning remained until holding the check button).
I press the Check Controls button on the blinker arm and hold it, and it comes back "Check OK" and no more warning lights. Pedal now works...

Living without SB...

Anyways, I am liking it very much without it. Just a lot smoother and I really feel like I can take it easy or put it in sport mode and just have to push a little further on the pedal. This thing kind of trained me to push further on the pedal, now with it off when I want the same feeling I had with SB on. Also on long trips my leg actually gets soar as a result of the SB.

So far I am actually loving have the pedal travel back and to be able to cruise at ~1/4 travel instead of just 1/64 or coast throttle, coast throttle... I'll report back if I start to miss it, but I think I am done with the SB for now (it will sit in my trunk for when / if I am ever in the mood).
Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='556565' date='Apr 5 2008, 01:46 PM
Ok, thanks.

FYI: My Engine Malfunction.. warning never cleared itself (after 60+ miles) so I cleared it myself with a OBD-II Reset Tool and the car runs just fine. Also, I returned the SB for a refund... I'm still bummed that I wasn't able to use it--I'll get over it.
Bradley,

I'm having the same problem. Which reset tool do you have? I'm trying to find one that is appropriate (and ideally one that also resets the airbag light... I tripped that once during a mod and it cost me $100 to get it reset).