E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER - Error message

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered the Sprint Booster this week and got it yesterday.

It took on only 5 minutes to install. But right after I start the engine, the RPM was jumping high and low. The engine was like getting crazy. Step on the gas paddle and no response.

I turn off the engine and remove the Sprint Booster right away. Restart engine and RPM became normal. Drove the car for 25 miles and it was fine. I have restart the engine about 5 times and drove 25 miles back from my friend's place this evening. But the error sign and message " ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER." is still on all the time. I am wondering whether the error message will go away soon. So I can try to install the SB again.

The following were the steps I did:
(1) remove the small cap
(2) unscrew the screw
(3) Pull the gas paddle up
(4) disconnect the cable on the back of the paddle(located on the right side which close to the center console of the car).
(5) Connecting the SP. I make sure I heard the "click" sound on both end.
(6) reinstalled the gas paddle
(7) put the SB next to the gas paddle.
(8) inset the key and start the engine.

Then, the engine just went crazy, RPM went up and down destabilized.......

My major concern is did I cause any harm to my engine?
How long does it take for the error message goes away?
Kind of hesitate to try and install it again......

Kevin
2005 545i Auto, Sport, Navi, Cold weather, Premium sound, V1 hardwire
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Try it again. Make sure you're connecting the right ends and make sure none of the pins are bent. It should work no problem. That's a first I've heard of this issue.

Email Andy Wong. He's the guy you got it from, if it came from Hong Kong.

sale@PartsExporter.com
Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

You need to take the car to the dealer and have them re-set it. Do not tell them about the sprint booster. It will only take a few minutes. As for the sprint booster, you must have not conected it properly. You need to make sure that there are no pins bent and you need to push the two cables together hard until they click...
Old 03-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='549442' date='Mar 23 2008, 10:12 AM
You need to take the car to the dealer and have them re-set it. Do not tell them about the sprint booster. It will only take a few minutes. As for the sprint booster, you must have not conected it properly. You need to make sure that there are no pins bent and you need to push the two cables together hard until they click...
I will wait until the error message went away then retry the installation. If the message is still there, I will need to have the dealer reset it first.

But thank you all for the help. I will keep you all posting.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Oh...I think I misunderstood. If your check engine light is coming on, then you need to get that reset first. Of course, don't mention anything about the SB. Just play dumb and say it came on.

If you can make it to this event next Saturday, I can help you install it.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=113521
Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='549505' date='Mar 23 2008, 12:51 PM
I will wait until the error message went away then retry the installation. If the message is still there, I will need to have the dealer reset it first.

But thank you all for the help. I will keep you all posting.

Kevin
Even if the message goes away, you still need to get it re-set by the dealer.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

K Wang,

Well, what happened, did you get it working? You're leaving us hangin' here..
Old 03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

yea whats up? keep us posted
Old 03-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

I just got my SB from the post office and I installed it. I immediately got the "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" indicator. The engine runs rough and the throttle has no response. I verified no bent pins etc.. and it is an 'A' model for my tranny... and it is a very easy install So, I immedately put it back to the way it was... now I have an appt on Monday to get the engine indicator fixed.... I'm bummed out....
Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

duuuuuude....whats going on....did new SW update of progman messed up something and we CANT use SB anymore???

Quick Reply: ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER - Error message