E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Post Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

All,

First off, I would like to say Happy New Year, it’s good to be back!

I had a couple year hiatus after trading my '07 550i for something a little more family friendly. I just recently purchased an '08 535xi with a 6 speed and sport package.
I purchased my E60 from a small dealership in Oklahoma and prior to purchase, brought it into BMW of Tulsa for a Pre Purchase Inspection and the car checked out fine with a few things that needed to be done. The oil filter housing seal was the main thing that I know needs to be addressed sooner than later.

I drove the car from Tulsa, OK to Colorado Springs, CO and the car ran great without a hitch. The next day, I drove the car to work and the "Engine Malfunction Reduced Power" light came on in third gear at about 3,500 rpm while accelerating a little more than gradually. I brought the car to the dealer yesterday and they told me that there was no low boost pressure code, no code for the fuel pump or anything that I have seen is common with the N54.

The mechanic that performed the diagnostics said:
"Vehicle had 2 DME faults stored. 2E8D intelligent battery sensor signal transmission and 2EE6 coolant temperature sensor both not present vehicle also had "a bunch" of voltage related faults stored andbattery voltage was low. Faults cleared to see if any come back after properly charging battery"

The service rep for Winslow BMW in Colorado Springs said that they put the battery on the charger for the afternoon and to just drive it for a few days and bring it back if the engine warning light comes back on.

I drove the car home from the dealership and yet again, the same warning message came on at about 4,000 rpm without me going WOT.

After reviewing the invoice and seeing that engine coolant temperature sensors could be malfunctioning , I am thinking that this would be the main reason why the engine is going into limp mode? It has been in the 30's and below since I brought the car to Colorado Springs and I am thinking that is a fail safe for temperatures of 37 degrees and below, based on the warning messages you get when the outside temperature is cold

Also, Does anyone know of a good Indie shop in the Colorado Springs area that I can start bringing the bimmer to?

Best,

Nick

Last edited by Razz; 01-02-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

First of all, buy a code reader and tell us what is the fault code its throwing.

I think it could be a Vanos solenoid $120

Congrats on the car!!! A rare 6 speed manual and all wheel drive! I bet u can launch that thing pretty good.

I saw people getting 3.6 to 60mph with simple mods. That puts an m5 to shame!

Last edited by seven11; 01-07-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:05 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 535i

Sounds like an intermitant alternator. Just did an 08 x5 for the same types of issues. And if you have the filter housing leak, the alternator is underneath the bracket. Coated in oil? On the x5 the alternator tested fine via voltage and all the usual tests. Replaced the alternator, havent seen the customer in 3 weeks.