E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light on after shaking & drained battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Unhappy Engine light on after shaking & drained battery

Hello all,
I am hoping maybe someone can help me if they have experienced the same issue.

I have a 2008 528i 146k miles and yesterday the engine started shaking roughly/vibrating and then the engine light turned on. I pull over shut off and turn on the engine and the shaking started again. I checked it today and now the battery is low/dying. Having AAA come charge it up but has anyone had this issue? I always use premium gas so I'm not sure what it could be. I had also felt something different/ a little shakey when I would be driving on a highway doing 50mph - 75mph once I hit 80mph it went away.

If anyone has any thoughts please do let me know.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Hi
welcome to the forum
Great people and great advice from everyone!

I suspect you have a bad coil pack
The battery maybe a totally different problem.

You will need to have your alternator and battery checked first and also check if you have a drain from your battery when your car is switched off.

But if your battery is getting low and the power/volts are not correct it could be causing all types of electrical problems so that should be your first action and elimination

Have you the ability to check if you have any fault codes?

keep the post updated so others will see what the prolem was
good luck
Old 03-16-2017, 06:51 AM
New Members

Hi E60Japanese- thank you for responding. I had someone come look at the battery and it turns out it's not an agm battery. I was basically told the one they put in there is the wrong one for my car and may be the root of the problem. That said I had a diagnostic done and P0301 cylinder 1 misfire was the error code and message I received.

I'm going to do what you said... start with the battery and go from there. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Allie G
Hi E60Japanese- thank you for responding. I had someone come look at the battery and it turns out it's not an agm battery. I was basically told the one they put in there is the wrong one for my car and may be the root of the problem. That said I had a diagnostic done and P0301 cylinder 1 misfire was the error code and message I received.

I'm going to do what you said... start with the battery and go from there. Thank you!
Your car does not require an AGM battery so don't worry about that.

The misfire is why your car was shaking and got the engine light.
There can be several reasons why you got the misfire and a few ways to diagnose it, but I agree with E60Japanese. Replace the coil pack on Cyl nbr 1 which is the one closest to the front of the car.

Jim
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM
New Members

Thank you NoQuarter, will do.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

A simple way to check your could pack is too change it to another cylinder.

So first with your car running just disconnected the first cylinder coil pack clip and see if the engine miss fire continues unchanged or becomes worse
I would suggest you will have no real change

Then switch the car off and change the 1st cylinder coil pack with another cylinder and see if the first cylinder is working fine now with the miss fire moving to the other cylinder

If yes just simply buy an new coil pack
Old 03-17-2017, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by E60Japanese
A simple way to check your could pack is too change it to another cylinder.

So first with your car running just disconnected the first cylinder coil pack clip and see if the engine miss fire continues unchanged or becomes worse
I would suggest you will have no real change

Then switch the car off and change the 1st cylinder coil pack with another cylinder and see if the first cylinder is working fine now with the miss fire moving to the other cylinder

If yes just simply buy an new coil pack
The dilemma here is that Allie does not seem to have the ability to read the error codes and see if the misfire moved to a different cylinder.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Hell I would just change the coil, plug and run some SL1 in the tank and call it a day if it were me. Especially if i had nothing to trouble shoot with.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:44 PM
New Members

Okay, I've changed the coil pack and spark plug. The shaking is gone... Now the battery just keeps dying. Have it on a trickle charger... Thanks for all the feedback. Anyone know what kind of battery I should replace the one I have with? I had it tested by a friend and I was told it needs to be replaced. He said it's not working right.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Since you don't have the software to code it should be the same rated battery you have in the car already if you are going to replace it yourself. Everyone has there preference just search and see which one is best for you. If you can find some one to at least do the battery reset it will help out in the long run but if not then no worries.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 03-19-2017 at 07:10 PM.