E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I have a 2008 535 and the engine symbol light came on a few days ago. The manual says it may take a few days to go out if it was due to a loose gas cap. The cap was tight, but the light is still on three days later. Does anyone have experience with this light and how long it takes to go out? All of the I-drive diagnostics show OK. How long should I give it before I call the service department?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bucket' post='551316' date='Mar 26 2008, 08:34 PM
Hi All,
I have a 2008 535 and the engine symbol light came on a few days ago. The manual says it may take a few days to go out if it was due to a loose gas cap. The cap was tight, but the light is still on three days later. Does anyone have experience with this light and how long it takes to go out? All of the I-drive diagnostics show OK. How long should I give it before I call the service department?

Thanks!
Dealer trip ... codes need to be read.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Bucket' post='551316' date='Mar 26 2008, 05:34 PM
Hi All,

Thanks!
Usually such warnings are followed by a check engine light if the failure repeats itself within a predetermined period. If the light is out, idrive reports All Systems OK, and there is no Check Engine light illuminated a few days of driving from now, then all should be well. If it happens again, freeze-frame data may be reported and can be recalled by your dealer.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Sapphire Metallic Premium Sound Package, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Heated Front Seats, and Navigation System

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='551358' date='Mar 26 2008, 08:41 PM
Usually such warnings are followed by a check engine light if the failure repeats itself within a predetermined period. If the light is out, idrive reports All Systems OK, and there is no Check Engine light illuminated a few days of driving from now, then all should be well. If it happens again, freeze-frame data may be reported and can be recalled by your dealer.

Just had the light come on my 06 550 and had to take it too the dealer. Something happened to trip a code on the theromstat and they went ahead and replaced it.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Members

Thanks all,
It ended up being a faulty DMTL pump with an internal control unit short. My local dealer took it without an appointment and got it back the next day with a fresh wash. I was very happy with their service at Rick Hendrick BMW in Charleston.