E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5
Default Engine Light

Engine light came on while driving home.

I noticed slightly less power to the wheels

Also a shaky ride home while driving and on idle.

I also noticed the display brightness fading when I got into my driveway and reved the engine...it only happened once.

I know I dont have a lot to go on but I'm already worrying about the money.

I'm also looking for a good independent shop in Toronto, the closest one to me is called

Auto Trend AutoTrend - Toronto's best BMW service and repair* ::* Home

Anyone in Toronto have any suggestions? I've only lived in Toronto only 6 months so I got no clue...the dealers here charge way more than the U.S that I know.
Your advice, ideas, and guesses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

here is a video, doesn't show much and it probably wont help identify the problem but here's one anyway just is case some genius can figure it out by this alone.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

one more thing to add..

Then engine light only came on briefly and went away, which is odd.

but the problem is still there. car is still shaking. What does that mean?

Wondering if its okay to still drive it to work tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hmmm...ignition coil going out? Mine did something similar.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Take it for a short ride to an autoparts store that can check for codes for free.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+1 on checking the codes it should be free information and "might" give you an idea. I had a CE light that illuminated and went away and when I had the car checked for codes at the parts store they couldn't find any. It was just occasional light and finally the dealer checked it and the issue turned out to be a vacuum line or something. So it's possible that a parts store won't see anything unless the CE is actually on as in my case, but the code will still be stored and you would need special software to read that deep.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Members

Wow...thanks for the info guys!

I'll go somewhere to check those codes

My ignition coil did go out a while back and I had it changed, I'm thinking maybe one of the other ones are going as well.