E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine fault drive moderately !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
SLB
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello,

Gents I need ur help ..
My car is E60 520i 2004 74K km ..

the issue:

the car start shaking while driving and the Idrive gave me msg "Engine fault drive moderately" after while the the car stopped shaking and the msg gone even from the service menu. After that some time when i start the car it start shaking again 10 to 30 sec. while driving its start shaking and when hit the acceleration its go back to normal

things i notice:

1-the lights in the dashboard/instrument clusters is not stable and fluctuating .. you have to focus on it to see it
2-the RPM gauge is not stable and moving up and down (very small movement) when the gear on D
3-during the shakes when I hit the acceleration the RPM goes down when I increase the acceleration its go up normally

one of my friend who have good knowledge about cars told me the issue is with the ignition coils need to be replaced but he told me check the fuel injection system...

Did any body face such as problem?? any idea will help allot

I know you will ask me why you don?t take it to BMW dealer ?? In fact I did but they ask me to pay 300$ only for check up !! the worst thing we have only one BMW dealer in kuwait !! :-(

waiting for ur posts..
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
New Members

hi, you are having engine misfire on one of your cylinder,the diagnosis would give you injector/coil error,trust me these are fine, the solution is to change your high pressure pump from the tank.
Originally Posted by SLB
Hello,

Gents I need ur help ..
My car is E60 520i 2004 74K km ..

the issue:

the car start shaking while driving and the Idrive gave me msg "Engine fault drive moderately" after while the the car stopped shaking and the msg gone even from the service menu. After that some time when i start the car it start shaking again 10 to 30 sec. while driving its start shaking and when hit the acceleration its go back to normal

things i notice:

1-the lights in the dashboard/instrument clusters is not stable and fluctuating .. you have to focus on it to see it
2-the RPM gauge is not stable and moving up and down (very small movement) when the gear on D
3-during the shakes when I hit the acceleration the RPM goes down when I increase the acceleration its go up normally

one of my friend who have good knowledge about cars told me the issue is with the ignition coils need to be replaced but he told me check the fuel injection system...

Did any body face such as problem?? any idea will help allot

I know you will ask me why you don?t take it to BMW dealer ?? In fact I did but they ask me to pay 300$ only for check up !! the worst thing we have only one BMW dealer in kuwait !! :-(

waiting for ur posts..
Old 08-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Also change the battery if it hasn't been changed yet. There is really no way a 2004 car will be having a good working battery after 8 years.

Also if you have a local guy who has access to a D-Can cable and BMW software, the car will have some error codes that can be read and used to figure out whats going on.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Check battery.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

Same thing happened to me. Got the Service Engine Soon light with the "Engine Malfunction" message. Ran rough and it turns out it was misfiring on several cylinders and the coil for cylinder one was "shot" and had to be replaced. They also replaced all the spark plugs in my 2005 545i. $500 later paid to my indy (don't trust dealers locally) and the car runs great!