E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

engine error?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I have not written in some time now butI?m going to try to do so more often though?

Anyway, here is my problem after keeping my 545i in the garage for 3 days it jerked very badly and gave me an engine error message when i turned it on.
I took the car to the dealership and they said that two pistons misfired. When I asked why it happened I was told that it has been happening lately down here in Texas b/c we are getting bad gas.
I don?t know whether to believe this or not. What do you guys think about the diagnosis?

JOE
Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by jorode60' post='504069' date='Dec 7 2007, 09:37 PM
Hey guys I have not written in some time now butI?m going to try to do so more often though?

Anyway, here is my problem after keeping my 545i in the garage for 3 days it jerked very badly and gave me an engine error message when i turned it on.
I took the car to the dealership and they said that two pistons misfired. When I asked why it happened I was told that it has been happening lately down here in Texas b/c we are getting bad gas.
I don?t know whether to believe this or not. What do you guys think about the diagnosis?

JOE

most importantly.... do they mean this is under warranty??
Old 12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wees75' post='504073' date='Dec 7 2007, 02:41 PM
most importantly.... do they mean this is under warranty??

What do you mean? Yes, the car is under warranty.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by jorode60' post='504075' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:48 PM
What do you mean? Yes, the car is under warranty.
He's wondering if they will fix it under warranty if needed. A friend had a similar issue with his GMC truck, got bad gas and GM refused to repair it under warranty. The oil company paid for the repairs but he had to pay out of pocket then jump thru a bunch of hoops to get reimbursed.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='504077' date='Dec 7 2007, 09:55 PM
He's wondering if they will fix it under warranty if needed. A friend had a similar issue with his GMC truck, got bad gas and GM refused to repair it under warranty. The oil company paid for the repairs but he had to pay out of pocket then jump thru a bunch of hoops to get reimbursed.
+1.... Thank you

We should always read between the lines and understand if the diagnosis means they will run away from their obligations.... would not expect that from a BMW dealership but just be careful!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by wees75' post='504111' date='Dec 7 2007, 02:51 PM
+1.... Thank you

We should always read between the lines and understand if the diagnosis means they will run away from their obligations.... would not expect that from a BMW dealership but just be careful!!!
No, I wouldn't expect a dealership to avoid their obligations, but in my mind this is not a BMW warranty issue. If they can prove that the gas was bad and caused damage, it is the gas station/oil company's fault. Not really any different than if you hit a big pothole at speed and damage the rim, or put on some after market part that causes damage. The failure is not caused due to BMW quality, workmanship or parts. It is externally caused damage.

Based on the post it doesn't sound like any damage occured, just the one-time misfire so it is likely a non-issue.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='504117' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:03 AM
No, I wouldn't expect a dealership to avoid their obligations, but in my mind this is not a BMW warranty issue. If they can prove that the gas was bad and caused damage, it is the gas station/oil company's fault. Not really any different than if you hit a big pothole at speed and damage the rim, or put on some after market part that causes damage. The failure is not caused due to BMW quality, workmanship or parts. It is externally caused damage.

Based on the post it doesn't sound like any damage occured, just the one-time misfire so it is likely a non-issue.
It seems in the states it would be easy to prove what caused the damage.... in our part of the world if this gets to court you would wish to pay the money yourself to fix your car rather than wait for years before they can get to a judgement!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Members

Well the reason it worries me is because at times even after driving and most often at stops i feel a rumble and jerky sensation caused by the engine. I think it may be an issue but I dont know if it warrants further investigation.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

I think that they would have a hard time proving it's bad gas unless they tested that gas or had some real detailed diagnistics to prove it. If there are longer term issues, my bet is that BMW would have to stand behind the warranty unless they absolutely proved that it was the gas when you went in origninally. A tech saying that they've "seen a lot of bad gas issues lately", is not a formal diagnosis for your issue.

I'd recommend to bring the car back in if it continues to run rough (hopefully you can demonstrate it to them).
Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ceenit' post='504147' date='Dec 7 2007, 05:46 PM
I think that they would have a hard time proving it's bad gas unless they tested that gas or had some real detailed diagnistics to prove it. If there are longer term issues, my bet is that BMW would have to stand behind the warranty unless they absolutely proved that it was the gas when you went in origninally. A tech saying that they've "seen a lot of bad gas issues lately", is not a formal diagnosis for your issue.

I'd recommend to bring the car back in if it continues to run rough (hopefully you can demonstrate it to them).

I think you are right, at the time I didn?t want to be a real Ahole and point it out like bad gas huh? So did you run a test on the gas or what? I think if it continues to run rough I will take it back in. And this time I won?t accept bad gad as an explanation.

Quick Reply: engine error?