E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine check light again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today is the second time my engine check light has come on in two weeks. My car was at the dealer two weeks ago for same problem, they cleared it and said it was due to my gas cap not being tight enough and air getting in. Since then I made sure to close the cap tightly every time I fill up. I always make sure it clicks.

My warranty expires in September of this year, and I was thinking of winging it out of warranty, but could these little tell tale signs be a foreshadowing of what's to come?? I love the power and handling, but I having to go to the dealer so many times in only three months of ownerships has me very annoyed with BMW.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Contributors

I actually lost my gas cap last week and drove a day without it before realizing it was gone. The next morning I was going to go to the dealer and buy a new one but before that happened my "Service engine soon" light came on saying "Increased Emissions" on the iDrive. Long story short I went to the dealer and told them. They said the light coming on with no gas cap is normal and it should go away after I replaced the cap. Unfortunately its been 3 days and the light still hasn't gone away even with a new gas cap! argggggh =\
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Argggggh indeed...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

So the engine check engine went off today. Should I still keep my service appointment, or cross my fingers that it does not come back?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

yes you should, the moment you get a check engine light means something is wrong. Do you want to risk it?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

^I agree, so I will keep my appointment.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

Did you check what codes came up for the Check Engine light to pop up? just out of curiosity.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

^No, I did not get the chance to. The light came on Monday and went off yesterday. Can I still check for a code even though the engine check light is no longer illuminated?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
^No, I did not get the chance to. The light came on Monday and went off yesterday. Can I still check for a code even though the engine check light is no longer illuminated?
Yes sometimes the car stores codes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

When my gas cap was loose the "Check Gas Cap" icon and message came on... does your model have this warning? If so, I would say your problem is something else.

Quick Reply: Engine check light again?