E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Emergency SOS Call Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this error message up on the dash and it stayed up. I think it also flashed up very briefly about 3 weeks ago, but I didn't really get time to see it properly.

Popped in to the dealer on the 2nd day as it was still there. They are saying at the moment they'd guess at either a programming issue or a faulty TCU. Apparently it could be 2 days in the shop just for this! Still the service was second to none and it's going in middle of next week and I'll have a loaner.

As an aside, while it's in, they are going to program my folding mirrors to fold when I lock with the keyfob and also program the seat memory to each key

Anyone else had this, didn't come up in the search?

Car's only 4 months old by the way.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by bardel' post='515874' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:23 AM
Got this error message up on the dash and it stayed up. I think it also flashed up very briefly about 3 weeks ago, but I didn't really get time to see it properly.

Popped in to the dealer on the 2nd day as it was still there. They are saying at the moment they'd guess at either a programming issue or a faulty TCU. Apparently it could be 2 days in the shop just for this! Still the service was second to none and it's going in middle of next week and I'll have a loaner.

As an aside, while it's in, they are going to program my folding mirrors to fold when I lock with the keyfob and also program the seat memory to each key

Anyone else had this, didn't come up in the search?

Car's only 4 months old by the way.
Frequently reported issue in BMW TIS

SI B 84 16 07
Communication Systems September 2007
Technical Service

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Erroneous SOS Inactive Warning Message

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA609 (Navigation) up to 8/07 production

E63, E64 (6 Series) up to 8/07 production

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP ( Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) and Navigation

(SA609) up to 9/07 production

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) up to 8/07 production

SITUATION
An erroneous check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed. The BMW Assist? system functions normally.

KOMBI Fault Code: A554 (Alive Phone) stored in fault memory when using DIS V51 or higher.

CAUSE
Software error in the RAD2 or CCC.

or

SI B 84 17 07
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 17 07 dated August 2007.

SUBJECT
SOS Inactive Warning Message, No Communication with TCU

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

SITUATION
A check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed.

The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is NOT identified when performing a short test using the DISplus or GT1.

If the SOS button is pressed the call connects but the radio is not muted. The BMW Assist? phone calls audio comes from the emergency speaker.

Bluetooth: An approved Bluetooth? enable handset which previously worked no longer connects to the vehicle. The Bluetooth menus for pairing a device to the vehicle are unavailable.

RAD2 vehicles: The BMW Assist icon and phone icon are missing from the Radio display.

CCC vehicles: Enable Services is grayed out.

CAUSE

TCU Hardware failure.

MOST-bus communication issue.

Incompatible handset paired to the vehicle.

and probably more. TCUs can be "deactivated" accidently during a "reactivation" process after a software upgrade. This probably is not true in your case, however.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Members

This forum and in particular it's contributors is/are such a wealth of information.

Nice to know that if the dealer doesn't come up trumps with finding the fault themselves that I can psas on the details of these SIB's.

My car was manufactured in August 2007, so dates tie up with the SIB too.

Thanks a lot Cobradav.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Members

Just had a call from the dealer to say the cars ready to collect. They are suggesting that I need to pay for some kind of subscription to get the SOS error to go away, presumably for BMW Assist? That can't be right surely?

Anyway, they said the sales manager would talk to me about this when I arrive, so I will go armed with my SIB printouts...

Anyone else been told this? Surely you won't get a check control message everytime you get in the car because you don't subscribe to their Assist service????
Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Members

I've just called the BMW Telematics team. It seems that the dealer is in fact correct and because I hadn't returned the forms for the Telematics for the intial period (after which I'd have to pay a subscription) is the reason why my car is showing the message. I then said surely I don't have to put up with a chime and check control each time I get in the car and they said I should complete the registration form and I will get 3 years subscription included with the car! Silly me, I figured that it would be something like a 1 month free trial followed by a subscription to be paid, so I didn't complete it!

Hopefully this will clear it all up!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Members

Oh well, seems it was too good to be true.

After less than a week, the SOS error message has returned. Good news is that in the meantime I have discovered BMW Assist or Connected Drive as it's called now and the google maps transmit to car feature is cool.

Shame that after the first attempt at using it the SOS error returned. Strangely enough everything seems to be functioning still, my messages still get through to the car and I've phoned BMW Assist who have confirmed that my subscription is still active.

So it's booked back in the dealers again, this time I'll suggest the above SIB's rather than leaving them to deduce the problem for themselves. I guess they had to elimate the possibilities first though.

Last time I got the car back, some of my settings (like triple turn indicator) were all reset, so I'm thinking maybe they just reset the iDrive or something last time to get rid of the check control message?

Barry
Old 03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Members

Well, the car came back from the dealers saying that there was a timing issue with resetting the computer and the subscription activating and that there was no problem and it shouldn't come up again... That was on the 6th Feb.

Guess what happened yesterday....
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Members

Well last time they did a complete reprogram of the car as a final elimination of any possibilities. All seemed ok until.....

Yep, SOS system failure warning again yesterday afternoon. So the dealer has taken the car back in today. This time they are saying they will quite likely have to change the TCU as per CobraDev's SIB details...

I've provided the SIB details to them on the last two visits now to try and help things along. I guess they have to work through all the possibilities first, but it is a bit frustrating to have to keep taking the car back to the dealers and paying for insurance etc (although last time they waived the charges).

Anyway, here's hoping they'll get it fixed once and for all as otherwise the car is faultless and we love it!

Anyone know where the TCU is located? I'm just interested to know in case there is any loose trim etc afterwards. Hopefully it's not buried anywhere too difficult to access so they don't have to dis-assemble the car too much.

Barry
Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Members

Dealer confirmed today that they are going to replace the TCU. However, apparently theres a "major" back order (whatever "major" means). So I have my car back complete with fault message, but they've taken the part number from my TCU and have placed the order for the new one from BMW. So just a case of waiting for it to arrive and then taking yet another trip back to the dealers for 1 or 2 days.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Cobradav, I was wondering if you have a pdf of the SIB that I can provide my Service Advisor? I believe I'm having a similar problem, since my software CIP/PROGMAN was upgraded I started to experience the yellow SOS sign with a slash through it and the I-drive system is frozen, after about 10 min it resets. -Noah

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='515957' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:33 PM
Frequently reported issue in BMW TIS

SI B 84 16 07
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Erroneous SOS Inactive Warning Message

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA609 (Navigation) up to 8/07 production

E63, E64 (6 Series) up to 8/07 production

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP ( Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) and Navigation

(SA609) up to 9/07 production

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist) up to 8/07 production

SITUATION
An erroneous check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed. The BMW Assist? system functions normally.

KOMBI Fault Code: A554 (Alive Phone) stored in fault memory when using DIS V51 or higher.

CAUSE
Software error in the RAD2 or CCC.

or

SI B 84 17 07
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 17 07 dated August 2007.

SUBJECT
SOS Inactive Warning Message, No Communication with TCU

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E70 (X5) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) vehicles equipped with ZPP (Premium Package) or SA639 (BMW Assist)

SITUATION
A check control message stating the 'SOS inactive' is displayed.

The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) is NOT identified when performing a short test using the DISplus or GT1.

If the SOS button is pressed the call connects but the radio is not muted. The BMW Assist? phone calls audio comes from the emergency speaker.

Bluetooth: An approved Bluetooth? enable handset which previously worked no longer connects to the vehicle. The Bluetooth menus for pairing a device to the vehicle are unavailable.

RAD2 vehicles: The BMW Assist icon and phone icon are missing from the Radio display.

CCC vehicles: Enable Services is grayed out.

CAUSE

TCU Hardware failure.

MOST-bus communication issue.

Incompatible handset paired to the vehicle.

and probably more. TCUs can be "deactivated" accidently during a "reactivation" process after a software upgrade. This probably is not true in your case, however.

Quick Reply: Emergency SOS Call Failure