E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Email sent to BMW of North America

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: OLD RIDE- 2004 Titanium Silver Metallic 545I, Sports Package, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats. NEW RIDE- 2005 Silver Gray Metallic 545I, Sports package, 6 Speed manual Transmission, Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats and Park Distance Control.

Why after spending more than $60,000.00, I feel like a beta tester for a software company.
1-Two software updates both of which crashed the vehicle computer. The first update was a 4 day ordeal and the second one took 3 days.
2- A radio that will lose RDS capability with the software upgrade or will have the capability with one car key but not the other.
3- A sunroof that will not operate with the ignition off (before removing the key or opening the door). This completely contradicts the information supplied in the owner's manual on page 34. This is true for all E60s since I have tried the same in 3 separate E60s.
4- A navigation retrofit kit that will only work with E60's that are equipped with option "6UA" (navigation pre-wiring) something that I inquired about prior to purchasing my car and was reassured that when the kit becomes available will be able to have it installed in my car. Three days ago and after making certain that it can be done (by talking to my service rep) and dropping off the car, I am told that NAV retrofit is not possible. However, in Europe any E60 can be retrofitted with navigation with or without prewiring using retrofit kit NO. 65-90-0-397-300.
5- Trunk-release button on the key that needs to be pressed 3-4 times for the trunk lid to open. But one has to be very carefull to not to hold the button for more than 3 seconds for the fear of activating the vehicle alarm system.
6- Mats that are so poorly made that the driver-side heal pad is threadbare after only 4 months of use.
I firmly believe that BMW owes me and others in my predicament an explanation and a satisfactory solution. This is my eighth car and the third BMW, but only after 4 month and less than 6000 miles it is by far the most problematic and unreliable car I've ever owned. When one spends this kind of money on a car, the car should live up to one's expectations, be trouble free, perform and function as advertised.
Your prompt response which I am certain will include solutions for the aforementioned problems, is expected.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

^^^^What he said!
Mine sounds like a model T due to the electronic thermostat. I was told that was "normal". I haven't heard another car like mine.

Shouldn't we get a nice beta tester rebate?

Since NAV can't be installed....the resale value will be much less because the newer models will have it available.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

looking forward to their response.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Very interesting how their response will be..

I bet it will be something like:

Who is your dealer? Please visit your dealer to get the things fixed..
Old 12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

YOU Tell'EM
Old 12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I send a similar message to BMW last week. They responded with a statement, which is unbelievable and basically says that with the increasing complexity of todays cars, the customer should expect more problems!!! I'll post the exact words tomrrow!

Software manufacturers showed them how its done, and BMW follows suit...

Jochen
Old 12-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

I can see the response now:

Dear BMW Owner-
Thank you for your recent correspondence?.we?re glad you?re enjoying your car. If you have any questions or concerns please make sure you visit your local dealer for help and assistance

Again, thank you for contacting BMW of North America?and happy Holidays!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Or "Could not reproduce"
Old 12-03-2004, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Here is the e-mail conversation I had with BMW NA:

ContactBy: Email

Comments:

I simply must express my utmost disappointment with my recently purchased
2004 545i with SMG.

After only 1100 miles, the car suffered a severe transmission failure,
leaving me and my family (wif and 3 year old daughter) stranded on
Thanksgiving afternoon on the way to a dinner with friends. The car needed
to be towed and has been at the dealer for 4 days now.

I have driven (and purchased) BMWs for almost 20 years now and I have
never beed this disappointed. Frankly, I have at this point lost all faith
in this $65,000 vehicle! What an embarrasing performance by BMW.

AND THEY REPLIED:

Dear X:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the problems you are having with your BMW. I am sorry to read of the transmission failure on Thanksgiving day. Please be assured that the quality of our vehicles receives our constant attention. Even in its most basic form, the motor vehicle of today is a very complex unit. When the various comfort, convenience and safety options are considered, the complexity increases. Despite our best efforts, a problem may occur with a particular vehicle or component.

We work on a continual basis to improve our services. BMW is committed to automotive excellence and superior service. We are here to work with you and your BMW center. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Tricia Young
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

So, basically she says that the car is complex, so I can expect to have problems .
Nice.........
Old 12-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

lol. thats pathetic .. but at least she is being honest. truth does hurt sometimes.

Quick Reply: Email sent to BMW of North America