E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Electrical System Malfunction - Continued Driving not Possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2006 530Xit just freaked out while driving and is now presenting the screen in the photo below.
Really nice to see messages like:

- "Electrical System Malfunction Continued Driving not Possible",
- "Electronic Fault! Stop Vehicle Carefully"

Obviously, it's extremely upsetting and has destroyed my confidence in the car.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Members

I had this exact same error pop-up today while sitting at a red light,
I hit the "Back" button, and it went away.
SA said it was probably just a hiccup in the battery,

Anyone else have this message come up? I can't find anything on this topic.

Thanks in advance,
Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Members

It turned out the problem was caused by water getting into the computers in the back of the car. This was caused by the sunroof drains being clogged. BMW redesigned the drainage system on the E61 beginning in Oct. 05 to correct the problem. My car was produced in July 05.

The good news is they stepped up, did the right thing and fixed the car.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Members

I have had this popup twice recently, for no apparent reason. I was just sitting at a stop light and then bam. The screen went away and nothing else occurred. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Bluesky4x4' post='752586' date='Dec 25 2008, 09:09 AM
I have had this popup twice recently, for no apparent reason. I was just sitting at a stop light and then bam. The screen went away and nothing else occurred. Any ideas?
What dqdoc said !
Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by dgdoc' post='577399' date='May 9 2008, 12:00 PM
My 2006 530Xit just freaked out while driving and is now presenting the screen in the photo below.
Really nice to see messages like:

- "Electrical System Malfunction Continued Driving not Possible",
- "Electronic Fault! Stop Vehicle Carefully"

Obviously, it's extremely upsetting and has destroyed my confidence in the car.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Moisture would wreck havoc on these E60 systems. If the problem persists, I'd definately check the charging system for faults. With the colder weather, any weaknesses in the system - decreased battery performance, alternator faults, etc - will be at risk for arising as battery amps decrease.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I suspect the problem was caused by water getting into the computers in the back of the car. I think this was caused by the sunroof drains being clogged. BMW redesigned the drainage system on the E61 beginning in Oct. 05 to correct the problem.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Members

mine was because the ice system i installed was draining too much power from the battery and the battery itself was getting a tad bit old? hence the computer was throwing up warnings of all sorts.

this and others as well like battery faulty, airbag failure, dsc failure etc etc.

a new battery plus a capacitor i think? solved the whole problem. 1 year down and all good.

i hope you got yours sorted out though!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='753519' date='Dec 27 2008, 09:43 AM
I suspect the problem was caused by water getting into the computers in the back of the car. I think this was caused by the sunroof drains being clogged. BMW redesigned the drainage system on the E61 beginning in Oct. 05 to correct the problem.
Seems like I read this reply, nearly word for word, sometine back in June, from some other member.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Members

Same exact problem today. Reset after 4 hours. 2007 530xit
windshield replaced last week and sunroof adjusted for wind noise and stickiness when opening in tilt position.
I checked the side compartments and the wheel well, dry
Rained 3 days this week. only time it has ever been parked outside for any period of time is dealer trips.

Quick Reply: Electrical System Malfunction - Continued Driving not Possible