E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Eight more months to go

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006 | 09:51 AM
Members

First off I should say that I know that I am extremely blessed (a lot of 80 hour work weeks )and I give thanks for that every day. Anyway, my lease on the car is up in about 8 months and I am trying to get an early start on committing myself to get one of the afore mentioned models. I have driven the 550 and liked it. A mate of mine has the 650ci and its absolutely brilliant. I havent test driven the M5 as yet, and of course the M6 doesnt hit the U.S. shores until spring. I am quite conflicted as to what I should get. On the one hand I just bought an X5 4.4 so I dont really need the seating capacity of the 550 or the M5, but the M5 is such a monster. I am already inlove with the M6 though I am having a hard time justifying the premium over the M5. I also cannot figure out why the 650ci cost almost as much as the M5. I know this is not the worst of problems to have but would appreciate any general thoughts you guys and gals may have as to which way you would lean and your reasoning behind your choice.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2006 | 09:59 AM
Contributors

Is 4-door or 2-door important to you?
Is power important to you?
Is gas mileage important to you?
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:06 AM
Contributors

Since you already have the X5 for snow and 4+ passengers ... go for the M6.
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:07 AM
Senior Members

If money were no object, I would get the M6.

However, the premium over the M5 cannot be justified unless you drive it on a racetrack (M6 has lower center of gravity) so I would lean toward the M5 on a value basis.
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='240158' date='Feb 14 2006, 01:59 PM
Is 4-door or 2-door important to you?
Is power important to you?
Is gas mileage important to you?
Gas mileage - at this point I am getting about 16.2 on the X5 so gas mileage isnt that important. I am doing my part to support the oil cartels

Power- I think I am more seduced by the sounds emanating from the m5 and m6 and the technical wizardry more so than the power, though my boy racer instincts do surface once in a blue moon.

4 or 2 doors - Since the coups are pretty big cars, getting in and out of them isnt much of an issue. I dont have kids so no need for kiddy chairs, plus I do have the SAV for when I have a group of people. Though I am kind of partial to a four door for other selfish reasons.
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i, Auburn Int., AS, CA, SMG, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats, HUD, Navi, SIRIUS, M Body Kit

If money isnt an issue... and from what Im reading... GO FOR THE M6. Its just a flat out monster!!!
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

I have been in a similar boat as you the past 6 months or so. I went around and around on the 550, 650, and M5. (M6 too distant for me). I love the idea of a convertible (last car was a Z4) but the 650 is so impractical for rear seating you might as well have a two-seater, plus luggage space seemed even smaller than my Z4 (Plus... ONE janky cupholder for the entire car? Yeesh). On the other hand, I really like the interior styling of the 650, esp. the anthracite trim, much moreso than the comparable trim on the 550, esp. when paired with the light beige leather as in the brochure. Lease rates continue to be pretty abysmal for the 650 (as bad as the M5) as well, though this may change given another few months. And convertible aside, you're paying a $12k+ premium over the 550 for... what exactly?

The 550 is a really compelling choice versus the M5, but at some point the two get so close in terms of cost that you might as well do the M5. I had a fully, fully loaded 550 on order (all priority 1 options, all other options) and it came to within about $10k of a full-loaded M5. In the end, I opted for the M5, and am very happy with the decision. I'm the type of person that really appreciates the interior/exterior refinements only available on the M5... better and more leather surfaces, alcantra headliner, push-button fold-up mirrors, M bumpers/apron, M version of HUD, etc. And of course, the knowledge that you're basically driving the fastest car on the road. I did not want to find myself thinking "woulda shoulda coulda" a year after making such a large purchase. One test drive confirmed it was the car for me.
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

It sounds like you want the M6. Awesome, stunning car, and you don't need 4 doors. Now it's just about the colors.
Old 02-14-2006 | 10:58 AM
Contributors

...what type of driving do you plan to do in the new car??? knowing ny pretty well, id say go for the 650i since you will absolutely never use more than half of the power of the M6, at least not on NY roads...in the 6er you will get to 130mph very fast, faster than you realize so I cant imagine a need for the M6 here....of course if $$$$ is absolutely no object, do as you will, the M6 will be a great car to have...just for me, i feel its a waste knowing the driving conditions we have around ny and never being able to actually open it up...my 6er temps me too much, and i've been a bad boy too many times already, luckly the car helps in dangerous situations ...as for the premium, the 6er is much more scarce the 5ers, less than 10,000 were sold in the US last year (about 3,600 coupe's), which is why the price is higher, and the design, IMHO, is well worth it...sit in the 6er and you feel the cockpit design wrap around you..the exhaust is tuned so nicely, then there is the glass roof that the M does not have, this is one of the best features of the car, it gives you such a feeling of space while driving...the 6er feels really tight inside when the roof shade is not open so im guessing the M6 will feel really small inside, hard to describe but do go and see for yourself...

its not that bad to have to choose, i was in between the e60 and e63 for a long time, but the 6er is such a beautiful car that it had to be mine

heres my latest gallery, you can see the great shades of Stratus Grey, which is only available on the 6er (Non-M)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=662

good luck with the tough decision