E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Echo 60 Software

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

The forum has so many threads dealing with E60 software, CIPs, Progmans and so on.

Where can I read up on all that stuff?

What progman does my ride have and how can I verify that?

Where does information about an upgrade originate and who is privy to it?

How is upgrade info affecting my ride brought to my attention and how is it accomplished?

I am not asking for answers here, just some source where I can read and learn.

Thanks, SixCard

P.S. Does the Forum have a spell-checker for posts? Where?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='484033' date='Oct 20 2007, 11:20 PM
The forum has so many threads dealing with E60 software, CIPs, Progmans and so on.

Where can I read up on all that stuff?

What progman does my ride have and how can I verify that?

Where does information about an upgrade originate and who is privy to it?

How is upgrade info affecting my ride brought to my attention and how is it accomplished?

I am not asking for answers here, just some source where I can read and learn.

Thanks, SixCard

P.S. Does the Forum have a spell-checker for posts? Where?
Hi! I've been on here since 2004, and I can tell you that those are good questions!

To find the progman version, you'll have to ask your dealer. I would caution you that you may not get a straight answer. I've got a decent reputation with my advisor, so he knows I'll just keep asking questions until I get the answer to my satisfaction.

I see updates about what's contained in various upgrades right here on the forums. I believe there is a database you can subscribe to, but I never had. Someone posted it once, but it was in German, and since I barely speak English (I'm from GA), that didn't work out... Just ask or do a search. It's here somewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean by affecting my ride brought to my attention...I just had my second e60 upgraded to 27.1 today. I just looked at the pdf of what it contained, and complained about some of the stuff I had been experiencing....For example, I did have the SOS failure occur (just once), but once I read about it I told my advisor and referenced the update bulletin. MAN what a difference on the iDrive interface. It freaked me out a bit, but it's VERY cool.

I hope that helps,

james
Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jksanford' post='485254' date='Oct 23 2007, 08:37 PM
Hi! I've been on here since 2004, and I can tell you that those are good questions!

To find the progman version, you'll have to ask your dealer. I would caution you that you may not get a straight answer. I've got a decent reputation with my advisor, so he knows I'll just keep asking questions until I get the answer to my satisfaction.

I see updates about what's contained in various upgrades right here on the forums. I believe there is a database you can subscribe to, but I never had. Someone posted it once, but it was in German, and since I barely speak English (I'm from GA), that didn't work out... Just ask or do a search. It's here somewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean by affecting my ride brought to my attention...I just had my second e60 upgraded to 27.1 today. I just looked at the pdf of what it contained, and complained about some of the stuff I had been experiencing....For example, I did have the SOS failure occur (just once), but once I read about it I told my advisor and referenced the update bulletin. MAN what a difference on the iDrive interface. It freaked me out a bit, but it's VERY cool.

I hope that helps,

james
I am much obliged James. Yes very helpful.

Your early answer answered my later question ... how do I know if there is an update that applies to my particular car. I will go back to my dealer and inquire. Who is the advisor? Not a name, but who in the dealer organizations are the advisors?

Anyone else know about how to get to those pdfs?

Jon from May-rhetta
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Since you have an 08 model your software should be up to date. Are you having any problems with the car that you would need a software upgrade?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 5er Sport' post='485289' date='Oct 23 2007, 09:22 PM
Since you have an 08 model your software should be up to date. Are you having any problems with the car that you would need a software upgrade?
No problems that I can identify. But then I have little to compare it with. I read carefully all the hiccups discussed here in the forum and as yet have not really seen any concerns that jibe with my ride. Current mileage is less than 3500.

But, question, are upgrades only to solve problems or just fixes? Shouldn't we want the latest even if we have not had problems? I would be annoyed if knew I had v26 and found out via the forum, that every other swinging driver has v27.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Members

After a few years and several software updates, you will inevitably learn only to request an update if something needs to be fixed. If everything works great, having your software updated will definitly break something.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stoley' post='485306' date='Oct 23 2007, 10:23 PM
After a few years and several software updates, you will inevitably learn only to request an update if something needs to be fixed. If everything works great, having your software update will definitly break something.

I agree i have heard that some forum members did the upgrade and then started to have minor issues that didn't have before so that's why i decided not to mess with my software ( If it's not broken don't try to fix it ) but for other forums it worked out great so i guess it's your choice if you want to risk it.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

And on the spell check question, yes there is one available but it's not visible from the "fast reply" box at the bottom of each thread. You have to either use "add reply" or the "more options" button to get the full reply editor screen.

Once there, there's a little icon that will start the spell check. The first time you run it, you may be prompted to install the ieSpell plugin (assuming you're using Internet Explorer). If you're using another browser, I'm not sure if there's an equivalent plugin or not...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

in my oppinion, don't fix something that is not faulty...

fyi, i have on my car v24.2 which is actually considered 'out-of-date' due to all the appearance and function changes that i found out from this forum (i should actually be the one to upgrade)...but, i also found out that there are also certain hick-ups that accompanied together with the new updates starting v25.2 onwards...i don't know why, but i don't bother upgrading for the time being because my car is actually responding well with no errors and is not responding slow (like i've readin a couple of threads here) for the time being.

i'm just worried that once i update to the latest version, problems will occur and i'll start going back and forth to the dealer...so, like i said before, if you don't have any problems with the car, why bother fixing it? jm2c