E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

is it easy to get a copy of a master key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 04 530i is pre-owned and since i'm from new york city paranoia has set in so is it possible the previous owner could've made a copy of the master key? is it easy to obtain a copy of the master key from the dealer?

When I picked up my car I was given only one master key and was told the previous owner had the other master and spare key, these two keys were eventually mailed to the dealer and picked up by me. I'm wondering if the previous owner could've made a copy during the time he was in possession of the other two keys.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Members

also is the dealer suppose to change the locks on the pre-owned vehicles? i can imagine any previous owner may have an extra key to any sold vehicle beyond the three keys given to the new owner. there' no way of knowing if any extra spares were made perviousley from the three keys you received.

maybe i'm jus too paranoid and thinking too much
Old 10-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

i don't think the dealer will change the locks for all of their pre-owned vehicles. even most of the landlords won't change locks for their rental units. but i think you can ask them to do it but will be quite pricey :'(.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 03 Honda RC51 03 Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:19 PM
i don't think the dealer will change the locks for all of their pre-owned vehicles.? even most of the landlords won't change locks for their rental units.? but i think you can ask them to do it but will be quite pricey :'(.
[snapback]50940[/snapback]
Believe me, NO dealer is going to change the locks on every CPO car. To get a key, you have to provide Registration AND drivers license. Go to your dealer's parts department and tell them you are concerned about the previous owner still having keys to your car. They can contact BMW's key department and find out how many keys have been made for your car. They will only cut 10 before they require the entire lock system to be changed. If nothing else, your dealer should be able to cancel out any other keys floating around that you dont have possesion of. We did that at our dealership not too long ago for a lady who was mugged and had her keys stolen. Hope this helps ya.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='Oct 29 2004, 02:43 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:19 PM']i don't think the dealer will change the locks for all of their pre-owned vehicles.? even most of the landlords won't change locks for their rental units.? but i think you can ask them to do it but will be quite pricey :'(.
Believe me, NO dealer is going to change the locks on every CPO car. To get a key, you have to provide Registration AND drivers license. Go to your dealer's parts department and tell them you are concerned about the previous owner still having keys to your car. They can contact BMW's key department and find out how many keys have been made for your car. They will only cut 10 before they require the entire lock system to be changed. If nothing else, your dealer should be able to cancel out any other keys floating around that you dont have possesion of. We did that at our dealership not too long ago for a lady who was mugged and had her keys stolen. Hope this helps ya.
[snapback]50948[/snapback]
[/quote]
tyronebankz, i think the pro has answered your question .
Old 10-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bmwpartsguy' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:43 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:19 PM']i don't think the dealer will change the locks for all of their pre-owned vehicles.? even most of the landlords won't change locks for their rental units.? but i think you can ask them to do it but will be quite pricey :'(.
[snapback]50948[/snapback]
[/quote]

thanks!, that's exactly what i'm going to do. i just hope they don't give me a hassle about doing this.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Members

only a registration and drivers license? that's way to easy to obtain copies. i would at least think minimum proof would be the title. smart savvy thieves can steal your $100,000 car in a blink of an eye!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 03 Honda RC51 03 Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by tyronebankz' date='Oct 29 2004, 09:17 PM
only a registration and drivers license? that's way to easy to obtain copies. i would at least think minimum proof would be the title. smart savvy thieves can steal your $100,000 car in a blink of an eye!
[snapback]50956[/snapback]
Believe me, it can seem like a huge pain for the owner to order a key. But it is BMW's way of cutting down on vehicle theft. We ask for the title and license, but most people dont have the title in the car, only registration. BMW keeps VERY close tabs on all dealers ordering keys. We must keep the copy that we make (of title and D/L) on file for 5 years, in case the car ever comes up stolen. No dealer wants the headache of losing their key ordering status. BMW can and will take that away from us which would cause that dealer to have to order their keys from another dealer which would really be a pain.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tyronebankz' date='Oct 29 2004, 07:17 PM
[snapback]50956[/snapback]
Most people don't have a title, because they lease or finance. Registration & driver's license is a pretty hard burden to bear! Plus, I know with Land Rover, they also call the phone number on record for the owner and ask if they are making a key.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

A thief can steal an E60 just like any other car in a matter of seconds and doesn't need a key.
In Germany you can get up to four master remote keys and one spare/valet key. You get the valet and two remote keys when taking delivery and if you need one or two more you'd have to purchase them through the dealer.

Quick Reply: is it easy to get a copy of a master key?