E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60s are Problematic???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008 | 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='672512' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:33 AM
This forum takes up all the problems of some 25,000 E60's for a 5 year period.

Usually people writes about problems, not about success.

You can't compare a German built luxury car to a Italian made mid-priced car.
Alfa's are very nice to drive, but are not reliable in any means.

The E60 don't brake down nor leave you in the street, some details could be better, though.
Thanks for chiming in Ric! I'm just having some anxiety or paranoia due to the prolonged wait for the delivery of my car~
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='672515' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:34 AM
I completely understand your apprehension concerning the E60's reliability because I also experienced it for my last car, an E39, as well as our X5. I always do a ton of research before any car purchase and did the same for my last three purchases, including my most recent car, an 06 530i with manual. I always buy my cars 'slightly used' as I prefer to let the first owner have the greatest amount of depreciation, lol.

I also know that every car out there, regardless of make, has certain problem areas that seem to stand out for a number of years or body style. I learned what they were for the E39 and then made the best purchase I could regarding previous care, maintenance records, etc. There are ALWAYS hidden gems out there and I have a pretty good record of finding them!

When I purchased my current E60 I gave my 02 530i Sport/Prem to my mother and it currently has 115K miles. I have all of its records since the day it was purchased and it has never experienced a single major problem except a back door window regulator that went bad - a known E39 issue. I changed the automatic transmission fluid at 75K, and that's been it except for the normally scheduled BMW stuff. When I drive it from time to time to run an errand I am STILL struck by how solid everything is and its condition. It was garage kept by its first owner, as both my mom and I have done as well, and no one would ever guess its age unless they knew about BMW model year changes. It not only looks new, it feels that way as well which is even more impressive.

We have had the same experience with our 02 3.0 X5. It now has 85K miles and still looks and drives like brand new. No loose parts, no rattles, and no problems beyond the replacement of the bar 'thing' underneath that connects to the wheel -- darn it, can't recall its name but it's a common problem area that I believe should have just been made more durable -- at 70K. Also replaced its transmission fluid at 75K and that's been it except for normal maintenance.

My current silver grey 06 530i is the most beautiful car I have ever owned, modified with the full M-Tech kit & trunk finisher, M5-style glossy black window trim, Eibach Pro-Kit, and OEM 19" 128's. Its first owner used it as more of a toy than anything else, having 3 other cars, kept it in an air-conditioned garage, and even kept every gas receipt since the day he drove it off the lot. I purchased it when it had 23K miles and have put on 2K since then. Other than a battery issue recall it has never had a single problem at all. I'm paranoid about the interior peeling paint issue, but so far it still looks like a brand new car both inside and out.

Of all my past cars, including four Audi Quattro's and four various BMW's, this is also the most complimented car I have ever had as well. I have been stopped several times in my grocery or gym lot and asked about the car, as well as by numerous valet drivers who just 'had' to say something it seems. Just two nights ago the toll taker at a parking garage I used said, "You have the most beautiful car I have seen all day -- which BMW is this?" And trust me, this was in an 'upscale area' garage with many other luxury cars a lot newer and more expensive than mine!

In addition to these outstanding cars I am also blessed with Fields BMW here in Orlando and the best SA anyone could possible ask for. He recognizes me by name regardless of how many months its been, is always extremely professional, and has exceeded my expectations with every service regarding the replacement of something I didn't even think to ask about, having the car washed and cleaned before I picked it up, etc.

You are in for a treat so don't sweat it! You will have a beautiful car that will make you smile every time you walk up to it.

I realize this post is a bit longer than some folks like, but I wanted to share how positive my BMW ownerships have been.
'06530-6M', thank you very much for taking the time to write about your tremendous experiences with BMWs. I too have owned several also, and as so far, all my experiences have been excellent, except once... a 1990 E30 M3, but that's another story. My anxiety comes from a couple of things. First is because I've been waiting forever for the delivery of my car. The more I have to wait, the more I absorb information that plays mind games with me about my decision. Like... I should have gotten this car... or that car... Secondly, the more I read about the problems that other E60 owners are having on this forum, it fuels my anxiety about the experience I will have with my E60. In all honesty, I know I made the right decision in ordering my 528i M Sport, but sometimes, I need some confirmation that my decision was the right one! As for the dealer, I'm not too worried. I have several friends at BMW Korea, and I can leverage on them if any problems arise with the service center at the dealer. Thanks again for sharing your story with me.
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='672459' date='Sep 18 2008, 02:29 PM
Mike nailed it... everything you read on this forum is exactly what it is for: Problems and/or Mods. Don't see too many people, if any, coming on here to brag about how reliable and bad-ass their car is... it's understood! I've had a 735il in the past and now own a 2002 330i as well of course as a 545i-e60!! None have ever given me any problems... of course, I take care of my cars and drive them like they should be driven, normally and agressively at times but never like a 15yr old out joy riding while drunk (no donuts, burn outs, etc). You should be just fine man!

PS... make sure you get the warranty!
My car is reliable and bad-ass , but keep a warranty for as long as you possibly can.
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672513' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:33 AM
This from the man that wants to switch sides! To..... AUDI!!!

Ahh! The Dark Side is talking to me but I haven't decided.... yet!!!
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672518' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for chiming in Ric! I'm just having some anxiety or paranoia due to the prolonged wait for the delivery of my car~
You'll get the best car you ever had. Must be a big winner in your fine country.

When is your new E60 expected...?
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='672570' date='Sep 19 2008, 05:34 AM
You'll get the best car you ever had. Must be a big winner in your fine country.

When is your new E60 expected...?
I hope that it's the best car I ever had~ I catching so much flak from my friends over at Audi Korea!

BMW Korea is telling me that the car will arrive late December. I got BMW Korea to delay the production because I wanted the new i-Drive (CIC) and the new controller. The wait is driving me nuts!
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672579' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:38 PM
I hope that it's the best car I ever had~ I catching so much flak from my friends over at Audi Korea!

BMW Korea is telling me that the car will arrive late December. I got BMW Korea to delay the production because I wanted the new i-Drive (CIC) and the new controller. The wait is driving me nuts!
You'll get a nice Christmas present.

Forget the Audi, they are just deluxe VW's.

The small Porsche company did just buy the whole VW company...
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='672588' date='Sep 19 2008, 05:43 AM
You'll get a nice Christmas present.

Forget the Audi, they are just deluxe VW's.

The small Porsche company did just buy the whole VW company...
Yes... many BMW fans tell me the same thing about the Audi - VW correlation.

And yes... Porsche did buy VW. I read somewhere that Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world.
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672598' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:48 PM
I read somewhere that Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world.
BMW/Rolls-Royce/Mini aren't doing that bad either.
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Yeah..... My car guy keeps talking me out of the Audi S5 saying it's stocked full of VW parts and overpriced for what it is. Reliability is way lower than BMW and WTF am I thinking...

That's the lecture I got today.

Quick Reply: E60s are Problematic???