E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1091820' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:02 AM
I also have mine under a cover in the garage. Its been there since the beginning of December and hasn't been driven or taken outside since. I plan on keeping it there till spring. In the mean time I am driving my 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport which we bought new in Dec 2001 - it has over 153,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. Nothing drives better in the snow. Wife has an XI and it does amazingly well for her in the snow.

Regarding all the "life is too short" yada yada stuff - yes I agree, but my 550i is also the nicest damn car I've ever owned, or probably will ever own, and I want to keep it nice, clean and with low mileage for no other reason then I want to. Could really give a shit about depreciation, what others think about my philosophy, etc. Its what I want to do just like some of you drive your's all year long. Awesome, I think that's great and I'm glad you enjoy the year round experience.

For me, although I've only had the 550 since September (had a 330XI prior - and I drove that one everywhere, all the time), its like getting a new car every time I drive it after its been "stored" for awhile. Anticipation is much better for me than actual doing. I'm the type of guy who feels the vacation is over the minute I leave for work the day before the vacation starts. It's all about looking forward to something rather than that something happening.

Anyway, that's my perspective on it. Props to those who drive all year and to those who store them. It's an individual decision and neither is right or wrong.
Well said, bro. I meant no disrespect to those who store their cars. I used to do that with my 911 and now that she's gone I'm kicking myself for not having enjoyed her year round instead of 7 months out of the year. It's all perspective. Like you, I anticipate driving my E60 the minute I park in the garage at night and in the morning it feels like I'm driving a brand new car after a long 12 hours of not driving it. To each his own.