E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 VS F10

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i 2009 M-Style Black w/ biege interior Fully loaded

can someone start a topic or new permenat thread where guys from both cars can share input on pros and cons.

specially those who had both. its good to know specially for F10 seekers

just a thought
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Members

and look what i found

https://5series.net/forums/topic/102...on-f10-vs-e60/

first contributor to the new thread (without knowing )
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about this. Just got an 08 535xi, prior to that had an 06 530xi.

Before anyone gets upset rememebr these are just opinions and everyone had their own.

I rememebr many similar discussions to this when the e60 came out. Everyone hated it. I still read really neabtive things about the e60 styling. When it came out it was really controversial. Seven years later almost every new car on the road has some e60 characteristics and I would go as far as to say the styling set the tone for the mid 2000's automotive styling. It was the best selling 5 series for BMW. So say what you want by every measure it was a success.

That being said, though I am not sure "dated" is the term, it does not have the same impact it once did.

I looked at the f10 while at the dealership. Styling is not controversial. Now here is my problem. I can't tell a 7 from a 5 without a close look. In time it may come, but to the average person it won't.

Now for the inside. Let's start with the idrive. Boy did it generate a lot of bad reviews, but again - many cars now come with some form of idrive. It really is not a big deal. It does a lot of unnecessary stuff, but so did my grand prix. Most people never use half of the abilities their car has. In the BMW e60 the biggest comlaint was changing the radio station and climate controls. Really? My wife - who has no technical ability left it set on the radio - turn the idrive knob and the station changes. Want to change the temp, turn the thermostat. The rest who cares. What car does anything wasier than that?

the F10 has the updated idrive with a lot of preset buttons. I guess these may be helpful, but not really to me.

But the interior of the f10 does make the e60 feel dated. Sorry to say that but it does. I love the e60 inside, but just the new idrive screen alone with higher definition makes the e60 feel old.

Drving I am in limbo. No f10 x drive to compare yet. The new 535 is not a slug and you can't push a car to the limits during a test drive. In regular driving I was not "blown away" like I was the first time I drove a BMW. There was not a giant leap forward as far as performance. I did not get back in my e60 and go - wow I need one of these.

Remember - just my opinion.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I stared and sat in one yesterday (Black on black 528i) while I was at the dealership yesterday and I liked it. The insides were very nice. The Front end was cool to me too besides the eyebrow on the headlights.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Unfortunately in about 2 years the E60 will look so dated. Look at the E39, everyone though it was so hot, and hated the E60 when it came out. Most people today would never consider a E39 over a E60 same thing will happen in a couple years.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by healthservices
Most people today would never consider a E39 over a E60 ...
Actually, when I lost my '97 528i to a tree last month, I considered buying a 2000 M5. It was a little cheaper than the '07 530xi I ended up buying, and I came very close. It wasn't the E60 styling that swayed my decision, but rather the economics of having a newer vehicle. I loved the E39 styling and agree with most that the F10 was BMW's response to getting rid of the "Bangle Butt" and returning to the cleaner lines of the E39.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Members

Dated or classic? It will be interesting to see what the E60 legacy is. A 2002 certainly looks dated but most propellerheads consider it classic. I also think the E38 7s have aged well though I am probably biased as a former owner. I think the E60 is more cohesive than the first redesigned 7s so it may age rather gracefully. Its interesting to see what time does to perception. I will admit that I had a Saturn SL2 in college with the rear spoiler. Now my thought is dude, thats so 90's!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Members

is it just me or the F10 looks more of a banker wife car?

as for the E60 is more sporty and rugged "musculane" and yet elegant & classy at the same time

the F10 is too squishy for me.... anyways ill wait and c how it looks with a nice kit on it
Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I'm wondering if the F10 is more user friendly than the E60.

Being that I never had a BMW things are not natural for me on the E60.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Interesting opionions. Ive had the 545 and now the M which i recently purchased. I was hesitant, thinking how the F10 came out and if I should wait for the right F10 to hit the streets to consider for purchase.

Exterior:
At first glance, the F10's styling doesnt grab my attention. It looks too similar to the 7, and does not have a distinguished look. In the past, you could easily tell a 3 from a 5 from a 7. as mentioned above, i gotta give a closer look to figure it out. that really annoys me. the front end is mean looking, but too similar to the 7. the rear end and tail lights look very hyundai'ish to me. I dont appreciate that. of course thats my opinion so dont blast me on it, but the rear lights and appearance just suck. I also think it doesnt look "tough", but more like a regular ol' family sedan. when teh e60 came out, the angel/eagle eyes were just a great touch and very distinct on the 5 series. also, sure its nice that its spacious and roomier now, but its just a tad too big IMHO.

Interior:
A mini 7. not a cockpit feel to me anymore. for sure the refinement is sweet and makes the e60 look outdated all day, but its all luxury and not sporty. i actually dont like the shortcut buttons for the idrive. i liked one or two buttons max and navigate the rest through the screen. the new version of the idrive though, is sick. i see that and then mine and i hate mine haha. the menus and displays are great.

the drive:
i think the drive is weak. i know that i didnt drive a sport version, but the steering wheel was so thin like a honda, and the handling is not the super aggressive, sporty BMW handling i expected from my experiences in 3's and 5's of past generations. the sales associate said it changed to focus more on an older demographic. the get up and go in it is sweet though. I just didnt like how it drove overall.

Final thoughts: Its already growing on me,but i cant see myself in one - yet. i'm very eager to see an F10 with the sporty cosmetic and suspension packages.

Thats my .02 cents.