E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 Virgin: About to purchase 545i (feedback sought)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to buy a 2005 545i loaded for 18,800. Downer is it has 75,000 miles but does have a CPO to 100,000. What are your thoughts on price. I love the car I am just a little nervous given the mileage. I put about 12k on a year and need to get at least 4 years out of it. Your feedback on price and maintenance costs would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to have an independent mechanic check it out tomorrow. Have to pull the trigger by Friday.

Take it easy as I am a newbie but congrats on a kick (you know what) forum.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

thats a lot of car for the price..! depending on the condition, sounds like a good deal to me...
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Contributors

BUY IT before someone else does
Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Great price, could probably get him down to high 16's. You will LOVE the car.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Members

Thanks guys. It is a buddy of mine who is car wholesaler. It is in cherry condition except for the mileage. Sport package and appears to have every option imaginable. He is firm at the 18,800 as that it was he got it for at auction. Will wrap up 2k of negative equity I have on a yukon xl that I would like to blowup. So all in all 20k and unload the other car seems like a good deal. Not to mention it is the sweetest driving car I have ever driven.

Do you guys think it wil go 150k pretty easily with proper maintenance? Thanks for all the feedback I am afraid I just picked up another addiction! great site.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Don't be rushed into it. Do your due diligence first. Get the service history of the car and read the CPO warranty so you will know exactly what is and what is not covered. Some CPOs come to the dealership from the wholesaler.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

Originally Posted by Gator Angler' post='884718' date='May 20 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys. It is a buddy of mine who is car wholesaler. It is in cherry condition except for the mileage. Sport package and appears to have every option imaginable. He is firm at the 18,800 as that it was he got it for at auction. Will wrap up 2k of negative equity I have on a yukon xl that I would like to blowup. So all in all 20k and unload the other car seems like a good deal. Not to mention it is the sweetest driving car I have ever driven.

Do you guys think it wil go 150k pretty easily with proper maintenance? Thanks for all the feedback I am afraid I just picked up another addiction! great site.
hey i love my car but it has required lots of tender loving care... you will love driving fast and driving through the twisting canyons... warranty cover just about every major repair the small things like a burnt xenon bulb was not covered

One very important advice do not cut corners always goto dealer for major or small issues... make your self a friend at the dealer. lots of people had good and bad luck at the dealer i think the customers with bad attitude that walk into the dealer thinking they have a gold crown on their head demanding do not get nothing in return. I had good luck making a friend at the dealer it was not till my 3 visit when they really took care of me like replacing a little things for free of charge, here is an example one time my glove compartment handle broke and my registration and insurance was locked so i called a independent BMW shop they wanted to charge me $130 for part and labor and the part was not available for after the weekend, i could not wait because i was going to do lots of driving that weekend and it would look suspicious to get pulled over with a broken handle hanging off the glove compartment with all my registration locked... so i drove to my dealer they had the part available and they replaced it for the cost of the $20 dollar part in under 10 minutes
Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

You need to forget that car and buy this one! This car is MINT. Def a little more then what you were looking to pay, but this is probably twice the car (overall)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=77346&hl=
Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

if the mechanic checks out.... BUY IT!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NoName545i' post='884774' date='May 20 2009, 06:20 PM
hey i love my car but it has required lots of tender loving care... you will love driving fast and driving through the twisting canyons... warranty cover just about every major repair the small things like a burnt xenon bulb was not covered

One very important advice do not cut corners always goto dealer for major or small issues... make your self a friend at the dealer. lots of people had good and bad luck at the dealer i think the customers with bad attitude that walk into the dealer thinking they have a gold crown on their head demanding do not get nothing in return. I had good luck making a friend at the dealer it was not till my 3 visit when they really took care of me like replacing a little things for free of charge, here is an example one time my glove compartment handle broke and my registration and insurance was locked so i called a independent BMW shop they wanted to charge me $130 for part and labor and the part was not available for after the weekend, i could not wait because i was going to do lots of driving that weekend and it would look suspicious to get pulled over with a broken handle hanging off the glove compartment with all my registration locked... so i drove to my dealer they had the part available and they replaced it for the cost of the $20 dollar part in under 10 minutes

Have a look at your keyboard and two keys over from the "M" key is one that has a ">" at the top of it with a small dot at the bottom. When typing, press down on this key at the end of each complete thought. This is commonly referred to as the "period."

Sorry, but I had to ...

I 100% agree with your feedback about making friends at the dealership, as well as your thoughts about folks who enter with a possible bad attitude. Unfortunately, from what I can gather by reading too many 'scary' threads in these forums, sometimes it's the SA or dealership's poor attitude as well. The key is to find the right people to work on your car and treat them well. "Treat others as you would have them treat you" really does work.

I use my [completely outstanding] dealership for technical matters, but have an independent shop nearby as well for regular maintenance stuff like oil changes, new brakes, etc. Not everyone is blessed with the combo, however, and honestly if I didn't either I probably wouldn't own a BMW.

Here's another good example for you: My car is at the dealership right now, and my SA provided me with a new 3series loaner even though I didn't buy it from them. (We do have 4 BMW's in my immediate family though.) I had mentioned to him that I had parts in the trunk that I was going to have installed myself once they were finished with it. Without asking, he told the mechanics to use anything I had back there if they needed to access the parts on the car while reviewing it. I needed new front pads, so they installed the dustless pads I had waiting in the trunk on all four wheels. And since they were putting on the back pads they also decided to install my new spacers for me as well (so they could see what they looked like according to them). They're not charging me anything for the extra work either.

I also barely mentioned my concern about the ticking noise that some people have talked about here in the forums for the 06 530i and he's having it looked at via 'the test' that everyone is nervous about, and promised he will try to get the new head put on it for me because he knows I want to keep the car for a while. He has an 08 and has already had it installed on his. He also mentioned the higher torque / better performance that some of you have observed.

Side note: There IS a new/revised sunroof gasket that BMW recently made available for the dealerships. It's made of a thicker, softer rubber and apparently works much better than what came with the car. They installed it for me yesterday and he said it's now 100% better.

Quick Reply: E60 Virgin: About to purchase 545i (feedback sought)