E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 v8

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay new to the forum. I am going to buy a used 545i or 550i. I'm looking at cars in the 40k-50k mile range. How many miles do you think these engines are good for? It will be my play toy/3rd vehicle so it wont get too many miles, that is until my wife gets ahold of it and drives it all the time. If the engine will last 150k-200k miles (with regular maintenance) then i may get one with a few more miles and save the money. Well not really save the money, I'll just buy more stuff for the car. This is a car that i'd like to hang on to for many years if it will last. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Well...with proper care and maintenance, the engine will outlast every other major component on the car. The automatic transmission is a weak point...cooling system will need somewhat of an over-haul at around 100k miles...sensors also like die every now and then...along will thermostats...small stuff like that. Just make sure the car has been maintained well and change fluids regularly... try to get a manual car if you know how to drive one.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
Well...with proper care and maintenance, the engine will outlast every other major component on the car. The automatic transmission is a weak point...cooling system will need somewhat of an over-haul at around 100k miles...sensors also like die every now and then...along will thermostats...small stuff like that. Just make sure the car has been maintained well and change fluids regularly... try to get a manual car if you know how to drive one.
Thanks for the reply. The small stuff I can handle. My dad and I own a auto accessories store, so I can get most things at cost. I would love a manual but the wife ........ not so much
Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

had the same debate several months back when I was looking for an E60. Never own a 5 before, especially a used one, did own a 3 back in 2000 but that was a new car so there was no need to be concern about owing a used German car. Anyway, I decided to go with the 550 since it does have a little bit more horse powers and it seems like there were some problems with the radiator in the 545 even though the 545 was approximately $ 2k cheaper.

BOL

RCT
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Members

Please make sure you tell the seller to not start it prior to your test drive it so that you can tell whether it has the dreaded morning "tick" or not.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by sholaesq
Please make sure you tell the seller to not start it prior to your test drive it so that you can tell whether it has the dreaded morning "tick" or not.
What is the dreaded morning tick? I'm assuming you mean on a cold start it makes some sort of unpleasant sound. Any video clip of this sound?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
What is the dreaded morning tick? I'm assuming you mean on a cold start it makes some sort of unpleasant sound. Any video clip of this sound?

+1 Didn't read about it much here or at the other forum while I was researching for the E60's reliability prior to my purchase
Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I think it has the potential for 300K+ miles if you keep up with the maintenance. I've got an e39 I6 with 116k miles and an e60 V8 with 66k miles that both run like new and and I have only had minor issues with them. I plan on keeping them for a lot longer. In Germany I think people hold their cars for a very long time and expect them to last.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

thanks for the info
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Engine = solid.
Transmission = pretty solid but cases of problems, mostly with the auto.
Electrical Components & Sensors = "fun" rollercoaster ride.
Coolant Problems = very probably chance you'll have at least one during your ownership.

Overall though . I would highly recommend getting one with warranty or purchasing a 3rd party warranty. I really want to keep this car forever, but I will most likely move on once the warranty is close to expiring. These cars can be really finnicky but they are definitely superbly engineered vehicles.

Oh and the ticking noise coming from the engine means the car needs the lifters to be replaced, not a cheap job by any means. There have been a few instances but it's still a rare case.

Quick Reply: E60 v8