E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 turning into a serious P.I.T.A!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ladies and Gents...I have an 04 525I. I bought this thing in Mar and thought it was apretty good deal for an E60 w/ less than 25K on it. Well, I been making up for the savings in maintenance costs. WTF!! First, I had the "phantom" trunk problem,,,I thought it was me hitting the key and had noticed that sometimes if the button is pushed for a second or two the trunk will open until I had placed my keys in the window of my bedroom and my neighbor woke me up in the wee hours of the morning to inform me that my trunk was wide open. Then came the oil and routine services that popped up...no biggie except when I let the German dealer supply the oil during an oil change...DAYUM!! You should have seen that bill, I felt like an idiot. Then all of a sudden the brakes began sqealing and I could clearly see that there was plenty of pad left...I attempted to purchase pads myself but the salesman at the local parts store tried to tell me that the rotors had to be changed also...WTF!! I left and headed for the dealer...they changed the pads and informed me that since the car was still under warranty and that there was still more than 50% of the pads left that they covered the cost (bad sensor). SWEET!! Now here's the killer...the disrespectful and unwarranted slap in the face!!...I dropped the 5 off to have a stereo installed and what did we find when we opened the panel to disconnect the battery...corrosion...tons of it...I've been without my car for a week and now the service dept wants to contact Munich to see if they'll pay for it...I'm thinking to myself...ARE YOU SERIOUS...HELL YEAH THEY"LL PAY FOR IT!!, DID YOU SEE THAT SCHEISSE!!...BE FOR REAL!! Sorry just had to vent a bit. If anyone knows what may have caused my battery to blow up like this..inform me. I assumed that it's either cracked, leaked or simply defective...but I haven't stirred up enough courage to see if there is a hole underneath it...lord help me if there is! Also, anyone that knows what may be causing the "pop-trunk" action please inform me also. Check these pics out...It's completely amazing that the car drove fine and that I never had any problems with it. Even after leaving it for weeks and months at a time. I've heard the horror stories on this site and I "was" relieved!.

E60 turning into a serious P.I.T.A!!-p1010887.jpg

E60 turning into a serious P.I.T.A!!-p1010895.jpg

E60 turning into a serious P.I.T.A!!-p1010916.jpg
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Man ohh man! It's like bmwna is not even part of bmw group. What the hell?!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributors

WOW!! That is some pretty serious damage!! That looks really bad. You must make them do something about it!! Oh and its ok to vent here, we all feel your pain when something bad happens to your baby!!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's BMW of Germany. Not BMW NA. He's in Germany. But anyway, battery needs to be replaced
Old 01-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Just out of curiosity, what kind of stereo where you planning on installing and where? Keeping OEM or aftermarket headunit?

BMW NA would definitely cover all that damage, I think, right? This is a three and a half year old car at the most with 15K+ miles, how can it have something like this?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Never seen that happen to a BMW battery
Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='377292' date='Jan 12 2007, 04:33 PM
It's BMW of Germany. Not BMW NA. He's in Germany. But anyway, battery needs to be replaced
Who knows who it is...Bought in Germany but it's US Specs...I'll assume it's BMWNA but BMW Germany honors all of their warranties and service on my car
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='377305' date='Jan 12 2007, 05:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of stereo where you planning on installing and where? Keeping OEM or aftermarket headunit?

BMW NA would definitely cover all that damage, I think, right? This is a three and a half year old car at the most with 15K+ miles, how can it have something like this?
I'm going with the usual stereo mods:

Component Sets
Replacing the 8" subs under the seat
12" Sub
3 Amps
5-Farad Cap.
Nav Screen Interface
DVD Player w/ USB capability

It's pretty low key but should increase the sound quality by far! I'm having it run through the OEM system...I really don't want the look of a show car inside. I want everything to look like it belongs...even if it doesn't. So I'm having them put the Sub Amp remote in the ash tray...and we're attempting to mount the DVD player in the center Armrest console underneath the air vents...if not I'll have to put it up front...hopefully it will fit. From the trunk you'll only be able to see the face of the amps and from the inside rear armrest you'll see the sub. I'll post pics when it's completed but I may have to wait to enjoy it due to this battery issue. I planned on having screens installed in the headrest but after seeing the way it looked on another E60, I opted to wait until I can find someone that can match the texture of the interior. Which brings me to another point...my car was at the dealer no more than a week ago...I had the brake pads and Aux Input installed...and they didn't see that...WTF!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='377305' date='Jan 12 2007, 09:19 PM

E60 550i facelift only towards end of 2007, it's going to be long wait
Old 01-13-2007, 03:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

hmmm.... seems to me like you bought a "flooded" car maybe??? meaning like the car was couple of feets under the water for some reason..... or something similar....
it was a used car right?......

Quick Reply: E60 turning into a serious P.I.T.A!!