E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

Just becasue you bought them in 2010 does not mean they were made in 2010. They could be from 2008 or older.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Originally Posted by best1
Just becasue you bought them in 2010 does not mean they were made in 2010. They could be from 2008 or older.
They were manufactured in 2009 according to the DOT tag on the tire. But I'm with you...
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Members

Do these tires sit next to a ozone generating device? It could be why they dry rot so fast
Old 05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Originally Posted by best1
Do these tires sit next to a ozone generating device? It could be why they dry rot so fast
Not at all, mostly the car is parked in a huge parking lot by day and in the garage on weekends and night.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Members

Are the inside shoulders showing the same cracking? This would tell you if it is from the sun or something else.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Wife took the car to NTB this evening and what she told me really didn't surprise me at all. Of course my luck isn't good and I can usually predict how these things will go. NTB's answers the following.

1) NTB, "I see this all the time with 530i's."
Me: "That's Ironic, my car is a 530i, huh.</sarcasm>"
2) NTB, "Wheels are cracking because they are dry rotten and old, you need to replace them soon"
Me: "When asked, for only 3 years or less, answer was yes. huh?"
3) NTB, "You didn't have an align every 6K miles."
Me: "What does wear have anything to do with the tires cracking and the slicing as if they are coming apart at the seam?"
NTB: "...."
Me: "I think they are confused with rotating..."
NTB:" Then offered by NTB to buy into their $250 alignment program"
Me: "Hmmm... Nooooo thank you"
4) Me: "Are these tires are safe for a little while longer..."
NTB: "Yes" Good now I can drive my ass somewhere else to buy them from another place...

Am I over reacting? In all I'm pretty calm about it I think. Less the sarcasm... I deal with enough stupidity at work and really don't have the energy to give NTB any more business. That said I'll probably have BMW slap a new pair of tread on car.

Just wanted to share, and thanks for listening...
Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

You are not over reacting. You paid a lot ( I'm sure) - at least you know where not to go.

Let us know how it works out .
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BimmerJay
No, I purchased these tires back in 2010 new from NTB. I'm trying to run the car up to them today to see what they can do for me - if anything. I may just end up getting new treads for the 5 later in the month if need be. I'm not exactly happy about it, but whatever.
I recommend you contact Michelin Customer Service by phone and obtain a Customer Service email address. Send them a photo of your tires that shows serial number and tread dry rot. I can't tell how much tread is left but Michelin should definitely "adjust" these based on tread wear and months of service. Simultaneously you should report a tire defect to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Aside from the dry rot look, it's been 2 years and the threads do look pretty worn. I don't think you'll get too far with some recompense.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Contributors

It's all good gents, really. I'm just going to get them replaced. I'm not sure what I was expecting from NTB... Possibly acknowledge this isn't normal. As I stated before I don't have the energy to fight for any compensation, not that I think I'm deserving of any because they are after used tire. More then anything I needed a place to vent, and thank you for the ear and concerns. I think I have run this subject to ground and concede to the fact new tires are coming in the next week or two.

Quick Reply: E60 Tire issue