E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 service reset not working now....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I changed the microfilters myself and managed to reset the mileage countdown without any problems by following the instructions I found here and elsewhere.

Interim oil and filter change done today and I figured I'd follow the same procedure to reset the oil service indicator. For some reason it doesn't seem to work now Appears I can't actually enter into the part where I have the option of resetting the various items listed. Maybe I should have changed it while doing the microfilter reset and while the oil indicator was still yellow instead of red (wonder if this bit matters)

The procedure I followed for the microfilter reset was to put the ignition key into the ON position without starting the car (car is pre-lci 5/2004 530d E60). I pressed the trip meter button on left till the triangle appeared. Released it after the triangle appeared and pressed it again quickly (while the triangle was still there) and as far as I remember the different items then appear (with their distinctive icons) allowing you to scroll through and choose which you wish to reset.

Problem this time is that the triangle disappears when I release the button and pressing it again doesn't allow entry to service items ! Could this be anything to do with the fact that oil service counter had gone into negative miles / red ? Also I noticed today sometimes when I enter the service menu on the i-drive screen, nothing is showing under 'status' and other times the normal list shows. And oddly if I leave it on the screen showing all the items (when they do show), after sometime the list disappears and only the word 'status' remains near the top. I can exit to the main menu and returning to 'service' may sometimes show the normal list again. While trying again unsuccessfully to enter service reset, I long pressed trip meter button and saw what I think was initial screen of 'hidden menu' where it shows part of the chassis number. I came out of this as I didn't need to check or change anything here. Could I have messed something up while unsuccessfully trying to reset my oil service today !?

Apologies for a long post....I'd really appreciate if someone familiar with resetting this could point me in the right direction. I've searched around but it mostly points to the standard procedure which worked for me till today. I'm hoping I don't end up needing to plug in a laptop or go down the indy/dealer route, especially as I just recently did this without any issues. Many thanks for any ideas or with this.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Trip meter has to be reset to zero before one can enter the service reset menu.
The following users liked this post:
jasondomina (09-02-2023)