E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 seat choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 01:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Can someone give me some thoughts on the difference between electric sport seats and comfort seats?

My problem is that comfort seats can be ordered with Nasca leather, thus allow ordering of ventilated seats, whereas sport seats can be only ordered with Dakota leater and no ventilation. I am thinking at black leather and titanium silver exterior.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 05:36 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the comfort seats in my E39...they're the most comfortable automobile seats I have ever experienced.

I thought the sport seats in the E60 were quite comfortable and very supportive, but do not have the adjustments found on the comfort seats. The two-piece articulated backrest really gives a lot of support to the upper back. My wife will like the way the headrest can be adjusted to support side-to-side head movement on a long trip.

The only thing you'll miss by getting the comfort seats is the adjustable thigh support. It's someting I have never had and, in driving with the sport seats it didn't seem to add anything.

With respect the the titanium silver...have you seen one in person? I have owned an E36 and E39...both with light silver like the titanium silver. I saw one this past weekend and must say I was quite unimpressed. It seems the lines of the car are lost somehow in the lighter shade of silver. This is just my personal opinion; I'm sure there are many people who will just love it. In any case, you owe it to yourself to see one 'up close and personal' before you place an order.

Good luck with your decisions...
Old 10-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Members

Well, my 5 series hasn't arrived yet and I havent managed to sit in either the sports seats or the comfort seats, but I opted for the comfort seats. My 3 series coupe has sports seats, and I think they are great, but on very long journeys they haven't been perfect, they can be very hard. I sat in a car with the lumbar support and thought that was brilliant, and so the sports seats with lumbar become about the same price as the comfort seats which have lumbar support. The added adjustments on the comfort seat seem to be an advantage, and the only negative on the comfort seat may be the lateral support on the seat base. As you can adjust the bolsters on the comfort seat, I am hoping this will be as good if not better.

Most of the cars BMW dealers have in my area of the country are just standard (but with leather) so it can be difficult to try them out.

Other peoples opinions have been that the comfort seats accommodate a wider range of backsides, and you can judge that for yourself. Either way I don't think you can make a major mistake.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ZeZe' date='Oct 28 2003, 08:36 AM
With respect the the titanium silver...have you seen one in person?? I have owned an E36 and E39...both with light silver
Actually yes I've seen only this color, even I may name it wrong. Names are a bit confusing for me...

Silver Grey - lighest one
Titanium Silver - medium one
Titanium Grey - darkest one a bit greenish

Well, I've only seen a medium grey one and I liked it, but not very decided. Many color seems attractive for me and even I would take a black time anytime, I think its it too ... I don't know. I've seen the darkest one in some picture and looks very promising. The lightest one is out of the question for me.

I am toying with the darkest grey one for moment but I am afraid the contrast with interior black is too low.

Thanks again,
Zbim
Old 10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by zbim' date='Oct 28 2003, 10:01 AM
Actually yes I've seen only this color, even I may name it wrong. Names are a bit confusing for me...

Silver Grey - lighest one
Titanium Silver - medium one
Titanium Grey - darkest one a bit greenish
Actually, the Titanium Silver is the lightest, Silver Gray is darker, then Titanium Gray is the darkest. It is a bit confusing with Titanium being both the lightest and darkest

I ordered the Silver Gray with Gray interior.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

The electric sport seats in the E60 seem to provide a way better lumbar support than the sport seats of the E39.

In addition, making fair use of the thigh support in the E60 is much easier than in the E39. Seemingly it is possible to place the thigh support 1-3cm longer away from the base of the seat, than on the previous sport seats.

And; the seat heating seems way more powerful on the E60 than on the previous model.

All over, the new sport seats seem greatly improved.

-paasan
Old 10-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Members

So tigh support is available only for sport seats?

What can you configure in a electric sport seat compared with electric comfort seat?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:53 PM

@ ZeZe and zbim

Both sport and comfort seats have thigh support.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 28 2003, 04:53 PM
Configurable? What other difference there are?

I guess I am heading straight to choosing comfort seats but I just want to be sure I won't miss anything I would like...
Old 10-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 28 2003, 04:53 PM
Perhaps someone who has comfort seats can jump in and answer the thigh support question. Until then, here's a quote from the BMW web site:

"20-way power multi-function Comfort front seats (includes articulated upper backrest, 4-way lumbar support, passenger?s-seat memory, and active head restraints with adjustable side support)"

The E60 brochure states:

"12-way power front sport seats...adjustment for seat height, backrest angle, seat bottom angle, forward/backward position, and thigh support."

Quick Reply: E60 seat choice