E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 scheduled maintanace 50K-85K

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am trying to do some cost/benefit analysis to make a decision if we should extend the maintenance agreement on our 06 530xi CPO. We are approaching 50k miles, and the CPO will last until Oct, 2011. The price of extending the maintenance is about $1700 to match the CPO warranty till that factor. As I understand the BMW Ultimate maintanance extension will last until the time the CPO expires, which will be 2 years and 4 months for us.

In that period we are expected to drive about 35,000 miles, which would put the vehicles mileage reader at approximately 85,000 miles.

The real question is what maintenance is expected in the 50k-85k interval and how much - approximately - does this maintanance cost.

1) When is the timing belt change scheduled for the E60?
2) I presume that we will in this period have at least one set of brakes/rotors changed. How much does that cost?
3) If maintanance intervals for regular checks is about 15K then we expect one maintanace at 53k and one at 68k, and one at 83k miles, so I presume 3 scheduled maintanace checks.
4) Windshield wipers - in rainy Boston - I presume we will need to change at least twice in this interval.

I do understand other things might come up - such as other failures - or oil changes/top ups, however the failures should be covered by the warranty and the oil top ups - well they cannot cost that much.

If anyone who has owned this vehicle for the duration of 50k-85k can put some prices on the maintenance items above it would be great. I can also take these to my trusted mechanic and see how much he charges for them and that would calculate if the extended maintenance agreement is worth it.

Thanks in advace for the info
Old 06-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Ill help with the first question as ive not done the rest, the E60 does not have a belt as it is chain driven!!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I didn't bother with the extended maintenance either. 2 extra years and 50k miles didn't seem worth $1700 to me. Well, it is if you need to have the dealer do all your work. The dealer told me oil changes were $288, I just did my own for about $65 with top quality oil and filter. For the other wear items, you can find them on the net cheaper (or even contacting some fellow members) and easily get the work done.
Yes, you will probably need the pads and rotors changed - Dealer = about $1000 / DIY = about $500 (again using top quality parts or you can go cheaper - I wouldn't though)
As mentioned, there is no timing belt to worry about, eventually timing chains need adjustment (tightening) but that is usually well after the maint. plan you listed.
As for wipers? I use PIAA Silicone from Tirerack work well and last a good long while (not sure exactly how long I am still on my first set)

Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='906771' date='Jun 10 2009, 10:51 AM
I didn't bother with the extended maintenance either. 2 extra years and 50k miles didn't seem worth $1700 to me. Well, it is if you need to have the dealer do all your work. The dealer told me oil changes were $288, I just did my own for about $65 with top quality oil and filter. For the other wear items, you can find them on the net cheaper (or even contacting some fellow members) and easily get the work done.
Yes, you will probably need the pads and rotors changed - Dealer = about $1000 / DIY = about $500 (again using top quality parts or you can go cheaper - I wouldn't though)
As mentioned, there is no timing belt to worry about, eventually timing chains need adjustment (tightening) but that is usually well after the maint. plan you listed.
As for wipers? I use PIAA Silicone from Tirerack work well and last a good long while (not sure exactly how long I am still on my first set)

Hope this helps
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed response. I am inquring on behalf on my father who is not going to do any DIY. What he will do however is use our local mechanic whom we known for years and has serviced all of our cars in the past, including MB, Toyota, and VW. I am sure that his rates are going to be 20% or so cheaper then the dealership however I do need to take into account the labor and part costs as they are with these dealers. My father is not the type that is really into all of this, hence the more seamless it is for him the better.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Oil changes are 90 dollars annually, most of us do 1 every 6 months.

plugs and belts shouldnt be more than 300 installed

big ticket are the brakes but the labor of install and flush are most of the expense figure 350.00 plus install(flush)

non RFT tires should be 650.00-1300.00 for the set

The CPO is worthless, Find a independent shop for brakes, spark plugs, belts and misc.. Keep your 1700 and put them towards repairs if need be, If not ditch the car and lease another
Old 06-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Contributors

I have not received the value of the extended maintenance warranty. Depending on your driving style and whether highway or in town, you may not need new brakes. I drive mostly highway, and it appears I will get about 130,000 on the original pads and rotors.