E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 roof bars fitting help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I know this might sound stupid but I cant figure out how to fit my genuine E60 roof bars? (bough 2nd hand, no instructions doh!)

The feet that sit on the roof look like they fit inside the gutter where the long plastic trim is fixed into that runs from front to back.

Is this correct that this trim has to be removed to fit the bars, if so that socks ass!

It looks really naff with the painted plastic trim removed thats all.

Could someone please confirm the fitting of these bars please?

Thanks, Pete...
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i MT Giant TCR C0

You do not have to remove any trim. The support bars are front and back specific. There should be a sticker on the bottom to show you that it is the front or back bar. The rubber foot sits on the one inch wide strip that runs on each side of the roof. I hope that helps
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

The front one, I believe, is the one with the bumps underneath. Not sure what their purpose is, or what bad things happen if you get them on reversed.

If you want to reposition the bike carrier (or whatever) that goes on top, you'll need to pull out the rubber strip and cut it. So long as you get the cuts straight, they'll be barely visible.

These racks are great. I've put mine on and off literally once a week since May 2004, and nothing has broken yet. Not even the straps for the bike rear wheels, or the rubber lock protectors.

I've waxed the spot on the trim where they sit a few times, and I believe that's kept the paint in good shape. Make sure everything is pristine clean when you mount them.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Members

The feet do not touch the roof of the cart, just the trim and clamp around corner above door. There is a couple of mm gap between roof bar rubber and roof is that right? With the trim removed they touch the roof.
Can anyone post a close up please and i will do the same.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Members

It sounds like your bars are adjusted a few mm too long, or you need to move them back or forward until the feet touch the roof. There are two lenght-adjustment bolts where the aluminum bars are fastened to the plastic feet. These allow for very minor (a few mm) adjustments. The only other thing I can think of is that you are missing the rubber pieces on the part that actually touches the roof. I found this link:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...22-09t-032.jpg
Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Make sure you're positioning the bars next to the indents under the roof edge. If they're too far back or forwards, they won't fit, because the roof side rails are not parallel.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Stumpel
It sounds like your bars are adjusted a few mm too long, or you need to move them back or forward until the feet touch the roof. There are two lenght-adjustment bolts where the aluminum bars are fastened to the plastic feet. These allow for very minor (a few mm) adjustments. The only other thing I can think of is that you are missing the rubber pieces on the part that actually touches the roof. I found this link:

thanks for that link. i see that the gap i refer top must be normal them and the roof bar doesn't touch the roof at all except at the very ends.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Members

thanks for that link. i see that the gap i refer top must be normal them and the roof bar doesn't touch the roof at all except at the very ends.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bengaz

Correct - that's the beauty of this system. The feet only touch an area of maybe 1 inch by 5 inches. The plastic part then follows the roof contour, but does not touch (except for the metal clamp at the edge by the door).
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Members

Correct - that's the beauty of this system. The feet only touch an area of maybe 1 inch by 5 inches. The plastic part then follows the roof contour, but does not touch (except for the metal clamp at the edge by the door).
thanks for your help.. .

Quick Reply: E60 roof bars fitting help