E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 Restraint System Errors Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 08:25 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530D(ex armed response)
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M57
Default E60 Restraint System Errors Please Help

Hello everyone. I知 looking for some guidance in which software would be best to use on my 2005 pre LCI E60. She痴 a 530D and an ex copper which means help from usual dealers and so called pros has been challenging to say the least. I have the dreaded restraint system errors and wondered what versions of things like Standard Tools, ISTA-D/P, or older like the DIS/SS software. Also which version SP Daten would correctly work with these older modules. I have a load of things already acquired software wise and I have the K/D-Can cable and also an ICOM A(clone with most controller).

The faults displayed in the car show Restraint System Faulty; Front Passenger Airbags Faulty; Side Airbag Rear Left Faulty; Side Airbag Rear Right Faulty and Driver Restraint System Faulty. If INPA or similar codes need to be here I can get that done no problem for anyone who may be able to shed any light.

At a point there were more of these but for some messing with NCS Expert I managed to whittle it down somewhat and this is what I'm left with. I have already tried the 2.2ohm bypass on the individual wiring to the modules and also the 3.3ohm is present in the BST but these faults remain and the warning lights are on the Dash which is now becoming most annoying.

Unsure if this matters but someone may know, when I load NCS Expert and read my car, it's the only app that reads my VIN incorrectly by means of adding an H to the end which shouldn't be there it should end 90958 like every other app shows but 90958H is what NCS says. It also flags an issue with my VA saying that #0305 is incorrect for my Vehicle Order but when I try to amend it, I open VA, left click then press delete which removes it but it wont then re-write back to the car, stating a fault that I will re read today and post here.

On ISTA D regardless of which version, It seems to read all my modules and highlights similar, if not the same as DIS which is great but ISTA-P on the other hand( ISTA P SYS 3 55 0) it reads my VIN then scans the modules but then halts with the following error "The Connected Vehicle Has An Unknown Data Status ( E060-05-06-500, UNBENKANNTE I-STUFFE). This Cannot Be Handled with ISTA/P. Ensure that the current version of ISTA/P has been loaded or contact technical support."

The above error is only present in the ISTA/P version I have listed as all others have read the VIN and upon scanning the modules states " connection with the interface has been interrupted and the session must end " This error strangely enough also appears on SS (progman) that's on a different laptop with DIS and all VM's are set up and functioning as they should.

Just to be clear, I have separate laptops for specific software's as not all run on same OS etc etc and also would not wish to disrupt the EDIABAS folder that whichever software installs( cross contamination ) I am mindful that she is 18yrs old but if at all possible and MOT permitting I'd happily keep her another 18 lol but if this is a dead end I'll lick my wounds and cut my losses as she has served me impeccably well

Everything I have learned about my car I have done so by reading trying failing reading more and more and for the most part I have had good success, but this one has me over a barrel lol so any help would be greatly received from whoever is up for the challenge
Old 02-23-2023, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Ok first thing is first. You're working with too many programs. ISTA and BMW software tools on a WIN10/11 is all you need. You should be using SPDATEN v69 and using the latest ISTA+ version which is free. Your ISTA version should see E60-05-06-500 so check your programming data to ensure it's up to date with your ISTA version. There is no issue with your VIN. VO #0305 is your factory date I don't know why you would be getting an error with that unless someone messed with the VO trying to retrofit something or replaced a module requiring a later build date to get it working. How long have you had this car?

When it comes to airbag faults I don't ever recommend doing those hacks because it doesn't solve the issue so I can't help you there. Most of the time you see multiple airbag faults it's do to a few things: Battery, Alternator, BST, dirty connectors or accident. Other than that you would have a seat mat issue. All which are easy to fix through used part replacement or flashing/coding. Since you've added resistors or other bypass solutions I don't know how to assist. Hopefully some of what I said helped you in some way.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 02-23-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:58 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Ok first thing is first. You're working with too many programs. ISTA and BMW software tools on a WIN10/11 is all you need. You should be using SPDATEN v69 and using the latest ISTA+ version which is free. There is no issue with your VIN. VO #0305 is your factory date I don't know why you would be getting an error with that unless someone messed with the VO trying to retrofit something or replaced a module requiring a later build date to get it working. How long have you had this car?

When it comes to airbag faults I don't ever recommend doing those hacks because it doesn't solve the issue so I can't help you there. Most of the time you see multiple airbag faults it's do to a few things: Battery, Alternator, BST, dirty connectors or accident. Other than that you would have a seat mat issue. All which are easy to fix through used part replacement or flashing/coding. Since you've added resistors or other bypass solutions I don't know how to assist. Hopefully some of what I said helped you in some way.
Just knowing I can drop a laptop and use one with only ISTA痴 D/P and the info on SPDaten v69 is massive help. I definitely think I went to deep in the rabbit hole with this one so knowing to concentrate solely on those is a big plus. I致e had the car just 2/3 years bought in a private sale and I知 the sixth registered owner. Your help is greatly appreciated sir, I know what tomorrow will bring at least 😂😂😂 Thank you
Old 02-23-2023, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Personally I would get rid of ISTA D/P and install ISTA+. That will give you everything you need for an E60. Sadly since there has been so many owners you really don't know what's been done recently so you'll have to unpack it. Flashing and default coding the modules will probably help untangle a lot of stuff of course after backing up everything before going at it.

I have an E60 with a production date of Dec 2004. The best thing was keeping everything stock so I can figure out issues easier and not second guess something I did prior. Luckily I'm only the second owner and purchased my car basically when it was new. Let us know how it goes for you and hopefully I can provide some meaningful help in the future.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:21 AM
New Members

Personally I would get rid of ISTA D/P and install ISTA+. That will give you everything you need for an E60. Sadly since there has been so many owners you really don't know what's been done recently so you'll have to unpack it. Flashing and default coding the modules will probably help untangle a lot of stuff of course after backing up everything before going at it.

I have an E60 with a production date of Dec 2004. The best thing was keeping everything stock so I can figure out issues easier and not second guess something I did prior. Luckily I'm only the second owner and purchased my car basically when it was new. Let us know how it goes for you and hopefully I can provide some meaningful help in the future.
I do hear what your saying about the new ista + but although the diagnostic side is second to none, a pre 2008( if I remember ) cannot be programmed using ista + so there in lies an issue off the bat. Also the message from ista p about the data unknown error I mentioned above, have you ever cone across it? And I値l get the v69 Datens loaded through Bmw coding tool into NCS Expert and write the modules back to stock(hopefully) 🙏
Old 02-23-2023, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Oh I don't do any programming in ISTA on my E series if that is what you use it for then continue using D/P. I use BMW software tools for most of the things even on my F series because it allows you to do things that ISTA will not do.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:33 AM
New Members

Talking

Oh I don't do any programming in ISTA on my E series if that is what you use it for then continue using D/P. I use BMW software tools for most of the things even on my F series because it allows you to do things that ISTA will not do.

So ISTA+ to diagnose only and Standard Tools for coding/flashing. That's no problem I'll strip back a Win10 laptop specifically for the job and get the software's installed. By your comments my plan will be to re-code the car as best I can to stock then using NCS I'll dump the individual modules and save each PSW file as a named file so I know which is which and from there I'll adjust settings and flash back to the car to see what progress is made. It'll be time consuming but I feel confident knowing what I should be using as opposed to the gung ho approach I've had so far. Can't thank you enough for your input
Old 02-23-2023, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I've been there many times helping other fix what previous owners have done and it does take time. It's worth it in the end. Heck I've been helping someone for almost a month with bad fixes and it's almost complete. His just had a lot of wrong replacement parts and wasn't programmed correctly or the replacement part was bad also. The big things are fixed and now just working out a couple minor issues.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:48 PM
New Members

Talking

I've been there many times helping other fix what previous owners have done and it does take time. It's worth it in the end. Heck I've been helping someone for almost a month with bad fixes and it's almost complete. His just had a lot of wrong replacement parts and wasn't programmed correctly or the replacement part was bad also. The big things are fixed and now just working out a couple minor issues.

I think the biggest issue my car has is the Ex forces issue as they are known to tamper with the vehicles upon issue. This leads me to think they possibly added a module or 4, BEHO being one of them lol and disconnected some others, namely the airbags and restraint systems as they couldn't risk the Airbag detonation in a vehicle full of firearms. I've also gone back on pics I've saved from the car's own display and it would appear that whatever German I'm learning, It's working as my Rear errors have changed from Restraint System Rear Right/Left Faulty and now they're gone it reads Side Airbags Rear Right/Left Faulty. I'm on the right track . I'll sign off for now and get some things done tomorrow and post back with an update and good shout with the help with the other chap, sounds like you have your hands full already. Many thanks again bud
Old 03-01-2023, 02:30 AM
New Members

Hi Sean just a quick update. I did as you suggested with ista + and standard tools only with v69 sp daten loaded to NCS and WinKFP. Using only NCS expert I selected F1 then F3 then back and selected to code the car. Upon completion I restarted the car and laptop then using INPA I cleared all IM HM and dtc codes then restarted the car and had a load of similar errors appear. Again using NCS Expert and dummy I opened SBSL and SBSR along with TMBT and the other door module, the SFZ the SGM and the SZL and coded out( I thought) and used ISTA to delete the rest of the fault codes. Unfortunately I知 still left with both warning lights on the dash and the car now displays Restraint System Faulty, Driver Restraint System Faulty and Passenger Restraint System Faulty. I知 so close but have no idea where I知 going wrong.

Quick Reply: E60 Restraint System Errors Please Help