E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 - Power & Emission problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 520 D SE
Exclamation E60 - Power & Emission problem.

Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me identify a problem I have been experiencing on 520 D SE.

In December I experienced an emissions warning on my car and intermittently a lack of power when I drove off from 1st hear. When driving from a stopped position with my foot completely down on the accelerator, there would seem to be no acceleration or power for some time until it reached past 2 - 3000 on the rev counter.

I have also noticed that the car when driving in gears 3 or higher will not go past 3000 revs, its almost like the car hits a flat spot and will not go any higher.

I then put the car into a service. After a long drawn process with Halfords and then going to BMW to fix the problems they cause, I was told there were error warnings for the DPF and Glow Plugs.

This is the work I have had done
  1. Glow Plugs replaced
  2. MAP sensor replaced
  3. 2 x DPF Cleaner treatments within the fuel tank
  4. Water pump replaced
  5. Thermostat Housing replaced
  6. Thermostat replaced
  7. Service completed with oil and filters

I have just bought the XTOOLs BMW computer IOBD2 reader so am hoping to examine the error codes in detail.

I have also noticed a slight whistle when accelerating (possible turbo issues?).

The last thing I want to do is spend £1500 on a new DPF or £450 getting it professionally cleaned.

If anyone can help me identify this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Members

I got the same problem I've checked air flow mass sensor cleaned egr valve
Plus no smoke at all I've heard it can be turbo is stuck any update plz let me knw
Old 01-22-2014, 04:04 AM
Members

ok i heard its sticking turbo vanes which its not opening the turbo up but
i heard use forte diesel turbo cleaner which you can get it from ebay about £13 which is not bad but im going to try it tomorrow and let you know the update. fingers crossed hope it works.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 PM
New Members

**Update**

I've discovered upon the car being idle and beginning to stall, by keeping the clutch down regardless of gear selection the car rights itself to normal. I can only begin to think this is an air intake or fuel intake problem possibility?

Let me know how the diesel cleaner goes. Hope it works.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Members

Ok so far I put 2 bottle of forte turbo diesel cleaner it made a little differences but need 2 drive at least 100miles for the cleaner 2 work I've put 1/4 fuel then put the forte in there I give you more update later on
Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 AM
Members

No
Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Members

Nope it has not worked next step is put mr muscle form in the turbo pipe but does any1 which pipe it so I can do this
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Members

ok i have tried mr muscle inside the turbo pipe but still no luck but the whistle noise has gone but still no power so can any one help here where are you guys come and help us thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 AM
New Members

Well I managed to obtain all the error codes on my car and there is a lot of mention about voltage issues.

So I have a few options to try.

1. Check performance of battery and possibly replace.
2. Check performance MAF sensor and change if possible.
3. I have seen mentioned with performance issues the turbo is possibly to blame.
4. Also the voltage regulator on the alternator has been known to cause strange issues.
5. DPF is still questionable I need to see how blocked this unit is.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Architectcve
Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me identify a problem I have been experiencing on 520 D SE.

In December I experienced an emissions warning on my car and intermittently a lack of power when I drove off from 1st hear. When driving from a stopped position with my foot completely down on the accelerator, there would seem to be no acceleration or power for some time until it reached past 2 - 3000 on the rev counter.

I have also noticed that the car when driving in gears 3 or higher will not go past 3000 revs, its almost like the car hits a flat spot and will not go any higher.

I then put the car into a service. After a long drawn process with Halfords and then going to BMW to fix the problems they cause, I was told there were error warnings for the DPF and Glow Plugs.

This is the work I have had done
  1. Glow Plugs replaced
  2. MAP sensor replaced
  3. 2 x DPF Cleaner treatments within the fuel tank
  4. Water pump replaced
  5. Thermostat Housing replaced
  6. Thermostat replaced
  7. Service completed with oil and filters

I have just bought the XTOOLs BMW computer IOBD2 reader so am hoping to examine the error codes in detail.

I have also noticed a slight whistle when accelerating (possible turbo issues?).

The last thing I want to do is spend £1500 on a new DPF or £450 getting it professionally cleaned.

If anyone can help me identify this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

It is an idea, I had this with my car as well, it was pipe from the intercooler to the engine, which was still kind of attached, but it was not enough, I have bought new seals and cleaned.
It works like a charm.

The pipe is so tide and it is not visible, than it is not correctly connected, if you have any diagnostic program, try turbo pressure, you will see.

If you have false air intake, the airflow will still show correctly as the air is pushed by turbo, but the engine is without any boost.

Quick Reply: E60 - Power & Emission problem.