E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Possessed AC

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

So a while back I posted a thread about an AC problem that I had. Thus far I went ahead and replaced the Blower Motor Resistor (some would call it a final stage or FSU) thinking that it would fix the problem. Unfortunately, last night I had the same problem once again. At this point I'm at the mercy of these forums hoping that I can figure this out and not have to pay top dollars to get this fixed. If anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are the symptoms:

The AC comes on RANDOMLY(It has even with the car off but with me still inside it). When it does, air is diverted to the defroster vents (top vents). There is absolutely nothing I can adjust or press inside the car to make the air stop from coming out of the defroster vents (Air also comes out of the rear passenger vents). Even when turning off the car the air continues to come out at full speed. When this happens the only thing that is adjustable is the temperature of the air(fan speed/air direction is not).

I do have one temporary fix that seems to consistently work for a matter of days before this happens to me again.

I turn the car off, then quickly on(this shuts all systems down for a split second), then shut the car off again quickly. I let the car sit for 30 minutes or more. The car's AC will then behave normally again for an unknown amount of time.

This is quite an annoying issue that i've been having...I'm not sure what to do...Hope someone out there has the answer...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

-Is this only regarding the A/C or does it turn on to whatever climate setting you had last?

For some reason, my unit occasionally turns on randomly only when my last setting involved the a/c. Furthermore, I noticed the drivers side temp knob is extremely sensitive to touch i.e. I would just place my finger on it and the unit would start working.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Since you replaced Blower Motor Resistor ? next thing I would suspect is the control unit itself.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...26&hg=64&fg=20

Please notice the comment (maybe there is a common problem with those units)
IMPORTANT!
Before ordering the control panel
for automatic climate control always
consult the repair instructions
REP-64 11 323 up to 03/2007 and the
repair instructions REP-64 11 324
for 03/2007 onward.
For vehicles with
Automatic air conditioning
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by aw3964
-Is this only regarding the A/C or does it turn on to whatever climate setting you had last?

For some reason, my unit occasionally turns on randomly only when my last setting involved the a/c. Furthermore, I noticed the drivers side temp knob is extremely sensitive to touch i.e. I would just place my finger on it and the unit would start working.
Not sure what you're asking me but my buttons are not sensitive to the touch or anything my AC would go from working normally to diverting air to the defroster vents and not allowing for any adjustments from there.

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Since you replaced Blower Motor Resistor ? next thing I would suspect is the control unit itself.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...26&hg=64&fg=20

Please notice the comment (maybe there is a common problem with those units)
IMPORTANT!
Before ordering the control panel
for automatic climate control always
consult the repair instructions
REP-64 11 323 up to 03/2007 and the
repair instructions REP-64 11 324
for 03/2007 onward.
For vehicles with
Automatic air conditioning
I had a gut feeling that this could be it as well...replacing this is a piece a cake compared to that BMR too...takes only 10 mins...but $733!!!!!!! WOW

Which repair instructions is this thing refering to? Does anyone know? Maybe this will help me get a little more info before I start pouring money into the AC system.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Upgrades: 550i M style body kit and rims, M-tech V2 angel eyes, RPI free flow exhaust RPI scoop & filter M-tech blue white fog lights. Stock: Sound package, 20 way lumbar seats, adaptive headlights, active sports steering stabilizer control, all the goodies.

Originally Posted by MORI3L
So a while back I posted a thread about an AC problem that I had. Thus far I went ahead and replaced the Blower Motor Resistor (some would call it a final stage or FSU) thinking that it would fix the problem. Unfortunately, last night I had the same problem once again. At this point I'm at the mercy of these forums hoping that I can figure this out and not have to pay top dollars to get this fixed. If anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are the symptoms:

The AC comes on RANDOMLY(It has even with the car off but with me still inside it). When it does, air is diverted to the defroster vents (top vents). There is absolutely nothing I can adjust or press inside the car to make the air stop from coming out of the defroster vents (Air also comes out of the rear passenger vents). Even when turning off the car the air continues to come out at full speed. When this happens the only thing that is adjustable is the temperature of the air(fan speed/air direction is not).

I do have one temporary fix that seems to consistently work for a matter of days before this happens to me again.

I turn the car off, then quickly on(this shuts all systems down for a split second), then shut the car off again quickly. I let the car sit for 30 minutes or more. The car's AC will then behave normally again for an unknown amount of time.

This is quite an annoying issue that i've been having...I'm not sure what to do...Hope someone out there has the answer...

Thanks in advance!
I had the same problem. Let me just ask, did you have to have a mechanic remove practically every part of your dashboard to get to the FSU? If so, you should have changed the blower since they are one and the same. Please tell me you changed that too! Otherwise, just changing the sensor was a complete waste of time because they both go at the same time.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fuchman
I had the same problem. Let me just ask, did you have to have a mechanic remove practically every part of your dashboard to get to the FSU? If so, you should have changed the blower since they are one and the same. Please tell me you changed that too! Otherwise, just changing the sensor was a complete waste of time because they both go at the same time.
Nope didnt change the blower....and I did this myself with the assistance of the internet. I took my ipad into my car and looked everything up as I was going along...I took apart my entire dash it seems and part of my center console to do this.

When you say they both go at the same time what do you mean? My blower seems to be working just fine...and seeing as how the problem came back it seems my FSU wasn't bad to begin with.

Also, what did you do to fix the problem?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I had a gut feeling that this could be it as well...replacing this is a piece a cake compared to that BMR too...takes only 10 mins...but $733!!!!!!! WOW
Found a place to pick this up for $586.27, shipping not included.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stoic1
Found a place to pick this up for $586.27, shipping not included.
Where?!?!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Where?!?!
http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/part...?siteid=215771

Free shipping for orders over $300 if ordered in December!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Where?!?!
Did you try looking for used one?

http://car-part.com/

Quick Reply: E60 Possessed AC