E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Poor ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

There's no doubt that the ride on the E60 with run flats is not the most compliant, although its noticeably better with the latest model / fourth gen run flats.

Changing over to ordinary tyres makes a huge difference.

However, the ride with runflats shouldn't be as bad as you describe; its worth asking the dealer to check that the trasnport wdges have not been left in by mistake ; these are plastic blocks which are inserted into the springs to stop the car bouncing around during transport; my last E60 had a bonejarring ride when I picked it up - only to find the blocks were still in the rear suspension.

Others on the forum have had the same experience.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='478794' date='Oct 7 2007, 07:29 AM
There's no doubt that the ride on the E60 with run flats is not the most compliant, although its noticeably better with the latest model / fourth gen run flats.

However, the ride with runflats shouldn't be as bad as you describe; its worth asking the dealer to check that the trasnport wdges have not been left in by mistake ; these are plastic blocks which are inserted into the springs to stop the car bouncing around during transport; my last E60 had a bonejarring ride when I picked it up - only to find the blocks were still in the rear suspension.

cerbera - good info to have. Mine is ordered adn I'll check for those transport wedges!! Sounds like the tire pressure needs to be checked as well.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well heck.. the original poster never came back to confirm anything or what not. What use is that? Make a post... get all the responses and not come back to read the help.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='478864' date='Oct 7 2007, 01:10 PM
Well heck.. the original poster never came back to confirm anything or what not. What use is that? Make a post... get all the responses and not come back to read the help.

Info Poacher !!!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope he hasn't had any accident
Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='478868' date='Oct 7 2007, 11:18 AM
Info Poacher !!!

Hahhahaha that made me laugh!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='478864' date='Oct 7 2007, 11:10 AM

New to the forum....probably just shy
Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by mikek' post='478326' date='Oct 5 2007, 07:50 PM
I took delivery of a 525d saloon a few days ago.
I am extremely disappointed with the car and in particular the ride quality.
Every bump on the road is transmitted throughout the car with the result that I feel ill after driving.
I do not know whether to attribute this to the car suspension design or the run flat tyres.
Note, the type pressure is correct on all 4 tyres.
Can anyone comment on the impact on ride quality of replacing the run flat tyres with standard road tyres ?
You're so fake.

Get a C5 and repair.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='478794' date='Oct 7 2007, 04:29 PM

cerbera - which tire models are the last/4th generation? i have bridgestone originals still from 2005 - 25000 km - will change those to the new ones. initialy was planing to go 'non-rft', but now more and more thinking to stay with rft ... just would be choosing carefully - google did not help this time ....
Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mikek' post='478326' date='Oct 5 2007, 05:50 PM
I took delivery of a 525d saloon a few days ago.
I am extremely disappointed with the car and in particular the ride quality.
Every bump on the road is transmitted throughout the car with the result that I feel ill after driving.
I do not know whether to attribute this to the car suspension design or the run flat tyres.
Note, the type pressure is correct on all 4 tyres.
Can anyone comment on the impact on ride quality of replacing the run flat tyres with standard road tyres ?
From the drives I have had in E60s both with and without RFT (both sports) I would be really surprised for you to be as dissappointed as you clearly are.

Go back to the dealer and try a demo to see if it is as "bad" as your car.

Just my suggestion.

Let us know how this works out...

Regards,

Quick Reply: E60 Poor ride quality