E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e60 My MPG Gauge Is Crazy

Old 03-07-2019, 04:12 PM
  #1  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
donpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2006 530i
Question e60 My MPG Gauge Is Crazy

Ok I'm going stop you right here when you're about to say, but that's how an MPG Gauge works.

I have owned my car for 11 years and know full well how it is supposed to work and it has been working that way consistently for all of those 11 years. But today though, it is swinging far to one end or the other a lot. Not smooth and gradual like it used to.

Why pray tell is it doing that for?

Last edited by donpb; 03-07-2019 at 04:15 PM.
donpb is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 05:03 PM
  #2  
Super Moderator
 
JayArras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 2,657
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Default

I never use that thing! I do it the old fashioned way. I always fill the tank when I get gas (why make more trips than I have to?). When I print my credit card receipt, I write down the miles stated on my trip odometer and then reset it for the next time. When get home, I do basic arithmetic and divide miles by gallons to get my mpg. I've been averaging about 23 since I've had the car (about 8 years).
JayArras is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 PM
  #3  
New Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 36
My Ride: 2009 528i xdrive
Default

Did you reset it recently? Mine is always off by 2 MPG
tstiglich is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 06:53 AM
  #4  
New Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chestermere AB
Posts: 561
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Default

So OP is saying the needle is swinging more to the extremes than normal. Possible this means something wrong somewhere, but is it driving the same as normal?
audiophool is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 AM
  #5  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
donpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2006 530i
Default

Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I never use that thing! I do it the old fashioned way. I always fill the tank when I get gas (why make more trips than I have to?). When I print my credit card receipt, I write down the miles stated on my trip odometer and then reset it for the next time. When get home, I do basic arithmetic and divide miles by gallons to get my mpg. I've been averaging about 23 since I've had the car (about 8 years).
Umm the point is I want it to work. Instantaneous MPG to adjust driving my habits. Not the overall MPG.
donpb is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 AM
  #6  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
donpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2006 530i
Default

Originally Posted by tstiglich View Post
Did you reset it recently? Mine is always off by 2 MPG
I reset it last night but to no avail.
donpb is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 10:53 AM
  #7  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
donpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2006 530i
Default

Originally Posted by audiophool View Post
So OP is saying the needle is swinging more to the extremes than normal. Possible this means something wrong somewhere, but is it driving the same as normal?
My driving is exactly the same. I swear I do not remember it swinging like it is doing now. Does anyone else's do that? I'd take a video but that's tough to do while driving.
donpb is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 AM
  #8  
New Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 15
My Ride: 2005 530i
Model Year: 05
Engine: m54
Default

Just a guess here. If it is a fidgety needle than it is probably a stepper motor for the gauge. However I believe the reading itself is based on vacuum.
tttomttt is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 AM
  #9  
New Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal Quebec Canada
Posts: 423
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62
Default

Originally Posted by tttomttt View Post
Just a guess here. If it is a fidgety needle than it is probably a stepper motor for the gauge. However I believe the reading itself is based on vacuum.
The gauge reading is based on a calculation using the actual fuel rate through the injectors. The fidgety needle is probably just a faulty electrical connection.
FormerE30Owner is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 03:36 PM
  #10  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
donpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2006 530i
Default

ATTENTION: The objective of my post is to fix it. Not discount its usefulness.
donpb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: e60 My MPG Gauge Is Crazy


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.