E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Palmo,

No, my belts are quiet.

What you can try is:
Get a water sprayer - the type you use indoors to spray plants.
Start the engine and whilst it is running at tick-over, spray the belt with water. If the belt is making the noise (rather than pulleys etc.), this should instantly quieten it down for a little while - sometimes only seconds, sometimes for days. You can use a watering can or even flicking water from your hand to do this, but the sprayer is a little more subtle, and there is less likelihood of getting sprayed back in the face!

Ford Cortina/Sierra engines were awful for belt noise, and this was a common "cure". Otherwise, change the belt.

One has to assume that the belt is not running too tight - I don't know if your engine has an automatic tensioner or not - as this would make the belt noisy too. Perhaps when you take your car in for its oil change the Dealer could check that. Oh, silly me, how on earth could a BMW technician check if a belt is too tight, when all they do is plug in a computer. Sorry, the cynic is coming out again

Mike
Old 10-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='481714' date='Oct 15 2007, 09:28 AM
.....I do also have what sounds like a 'noisy clutch release bearing' when the car is warm and idling without the clutch being depressed. Depressing the clutch makes it silent. Asked the dealer about this and told it's normal?.....
I have the same noise and went to 2 different dealers and my independant mechanic. They all told me that it was normal. I'm not too worried about it for now since I have the extended maint and the CPO warranty but I do keep my ears open for it just in case the noise changes or it gets louder.

Henry
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='482153' date='Oct 16 2007, 10:32 AM
Palmo,

No, my belts are quiet.

What you can try is:
Get a water sprayer - the type you use indoors to spray plants.
Start the engine and whilst it is running at tick-over, spray the belt with water. If the belt is making the noise (rather than pulleys etc.), this should instantly quieten it down for a little while - sometimes only seconds, sometimes for days. You can use a watering can or even flicking water from your hand to do this, but the sprayer is a little more subtle, and there is less likelihood of getting sprayed back in the face!

Ford Cortina/Sierra engines were awful for belt noise, and this was a common "cure". Otherwise, change the belt.

One has to assume that the belt is not running too tight - I don't know if your engine has an automatic tensioner or not - as this would make the belt noisy too. Perhaps when you take your car in for its oil change the Dealer could check that. Oh, silly me, how on earth could a BMW technician check if a belt is too tight, when all they do is plug in a computer. Sorry, the cynic is coming out again

Mike
Thanks again for the advice Mike - will try you suggestion. However, I think it is more likely to be one of the pulleys - the technician said "it's the way they are designed and the way the belt runs around them and nothing to be worried about"..... he may have a point?, but I intend to have this looked at again (and the clutch noise) on my next service (oil change) visit. I'm sure I saw a bulleting on here referring to the noisy pulley but can't find it now.

In the mean time, I will try to see if it is the belt itself.....
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='482170' date='Oct 16 2007, 01:08 PM
I have the same noise and went to 2 different dealers and my independant mechanic. They all told me that it was normal. I'm not too worried about it for now since I have the extended maint and the CPO warranty but I do keep my ears open for it just in case the noise changes or it gets louder.

Henry
Someone else with the same noise..... I'm not going mad after all!

I agree with you that I'm not too worried about it either, and your dealer's response seems consistent with mine.

Am going to mention this again at my next service.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kenjai' post='481467' date='Oct 14 2007, 02:58 PM
Hi all,

I drive a 2007 530xi MT. Sometimes, I have problems shifting from 1st to 2nd; the shifting is often jerky. However, sometimes the shifting is perfectly smooth. Any other drivers having this problem? Or is there something wrong with my clutch? Please help me out!

Ken
I had the same issue and the CDV fixed it. Easy and cheap to do.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

does the e60 have enough slack in the clutch line that the CDV can be removed without replacing it with a modified one? That would be an easy way for you to test the CDV without buying the zeck
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='482279' date='Oct 16 2007, 01:13 PM
does the e60 have enough slack in the clutch line that the CDV can be removed without replacing it with a modified one? That would be an easy way for you to test the CDV without buying the zeck
It's a metal line so you could just remove the CDV and bend the line. I didn't do that because I wasn't too keen on bending metal lines and maybe having to bend them back if I ever wanted to put the CDV back in for a visit to the dealer or some warranty work. Now with the modded CDV, I don't have to worry about that.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

thats what i was wondering, on my e90, the line can be connected wtihout having to stress the line anymore than usual. you just need to bleed the line like normal, but that took all of 1 minute.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Members

Would you guys recommend me bringing my car to the dealer to get the modded cdv installed or to a local mechanic?
How much would it cost approximately?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

if you have a close relationship with your SA, then MAYBE, but with most mods, I would never have the dealer do it...unless it was a factory part.

Quick Reply: e60 MT