E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I drive a 2007 530xi MT. Sometimes, I have problems shifting from 1st to 2nd; the shifting is often jerky. However, sometimes the shifting is perfectly smooth. Any other drivers having this problem? Or is there something wrong with my clutch? Please help me out!

Ken
Old 10-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Originally Posted by kenjai' post='481467' date='Oct 14 2007, 03:58 PM
Hi all,

I drive a 2007 530xi MT. Sometimes, I have problems shifting from 1st to 2nd; the shifting is often jerky. However, sometimes the shifting is perfectly smooth. Any other drivers having this problem? Or is there something wrong with my clutch? Please help me out!

Ken
I had the same problem with my car until I installed a modified CDV. After that, shifting, especially the 1-2 shift was much smoother.

Here is the site that I ordered it from: http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Henry
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='481470' date='Oct 14 2007, 03:04 PM
I had the same problem with my car until I installed a modified CDV. After that, shifting, especially the 1-2 shift was much smoother.

Here is the site that I ordered it from: http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Henry
Ah thanks so much. Why are the transmissions in our cars made like this?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Ken,

Think Positive! The Manual 'box fitted to the E46 is even worse!!!

I agree that it could be better, but the 'box has to handle a lot of power and (in the diesels) a HUGE amount of torque, and we don't want to explode our gearboxes do we?

Fortunately, when you are driving in a spirited manner, the 'box seems to smooth out nicely, and change sweetly. Of course we don't want to be driving like that all the time (think tyres, think licence etc), but it's nice to know that the box won't let you down when you need it most!

Mike
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Originally Posted by kenjai' post='481641' date='Oct 15 2007, 01:39 AM
Ah thanks so much. Why are the transmissions in our cars made like this?
How long have you had the car? I thought the same thing with my 6mt 330, and at first removed the CDV...it wasnt a huge improvement, so I put it back in. After about 3k miles of driving, you will rewire your brain and legs, and all will be smooth again. I just didnt want my dealer to ever blame a clutch problem on the CDV. of course the zeck is harder to detect so that gives some assurance.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by kenjai' post='481467' date='Oct 14 2007, 08:58 PM
Hi all,

Ken
I have a 2008 525d LCI (3.0d) with MT (UK). I must admit this simply isn't a problem on mine. I've not heard of the CDV before, but on mine I can clearly feel the difference between slowly engaging the clutch and more aggressively engaging the clutch. In fact the clutch feels incredibly strong on my car, particularly when changing gear quickly. When driving more relaxed, smooth gear changes are also easily acheived.

I have however experienced a 'stiff' gear change when the car was new, but as expected this has freed up nicely as a few k miles were covered and is no longer an issue. I do also have what sounds like a 'noisy clutch release bearing' when the car is warm and idling without the clutch being depressed. Depressing the clutch makes it silent. Asked the dealer about this and told it's normal?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Members

My car has around 3500 miles. I just ordered the modified CDV from the site posted above (thanks). I guess I will install it and try it out.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Palmo,

Ahh, the old chestnut about "It's normal, mate, they all do that!"

May I suggest that you ask them to demonstrate the same noise on another 525d (or 520d or 530d).
If the other car(s) make the same noise, then I would believe them, otherwise . . . . well, I am a card carrying cynic when it comes to Car Dealers (and a lot of other things as well).

Perhaps ask the question on this forum - does anyone else's car sound like the clutch thrust is noisy . . . . ? ? Mine doesn't, but its a pre-LCi 530d, so it won't count.

Mike
Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='481910' date='Oct 15 2007, 10:14 PM
Palmo,

Ahh, the old chestnut about "It's normal, mate, they all do that!"

May I suggest that you ask them to demonstrate the same noise on another 525d (or 520d or 530d).
If the other car(s) make the same noise, then I would believe them, otherwise . . . . well, I am a card carrying cynic when it comes to Car Dealers (and a lot of other things as well).

Perhaps ask the question on this forum - does anyone else's car sound like the clutch thrust is noisy . . . . ? ? Mine doesn't, but its a pre-LCi 530d, so it won't count.
Mike
Thanks for your response Mike. I have asked about this on this forum and didnt get much of a response to be honest. It certainly sounds like a noisy release bearing to me. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrendously noisy, but clearly noticeable - to me at least. Trouble is most other cars are auto making a comparison difficult. The car has made this noise from new (6 months ago) and has not go worse in the 12k miles I have now done.

On the subject of noises, I also have a noise that is coming from the front of the engine (again I mentioned this in the separate thread that received little response). Mentioned this also to the dealer and.........guess what......"it's normal, they all do that"! The guy went on to say it's just the auxiliary belt / pulley arrangement / set-up and tends to make a sort of whiney type noise. Again, not horrendous, but noticeable. Does yours make any such noise. At first I thought it maybe the noise omitted when the A/C was enagaged, but switching this off makes no difference.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Premium and Sports Packages
Model Year: 2004

I have the same problem with my 2004 530i. To get a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd, I have to double-clutch or press on the gas pedal slightly while clutch is fully depressed. I brought this up with my dealer, and it replaced my clutch at 35,000 miles. However, I still have the same problem. When I mentioned it to the dealer after the clutch was replaced, I got the standard "problem could not be replicated" response. I plan to have the transmission fluid changed soon, even if I have to pay for the service. Will let you know if it improves the shifting.

Originally Posted by kenjai' post='481467' date='Oct 14 2007, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

Ken

Quick Reply: e60 MT