E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e60 manual trans - resale challenge in US?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

Originally Posted by e60fl' date='Dec 19 2004, 04:27 PM
After reviewing this board for a short period of time, it is clear that there is relevant content.

I am considering purchasing a 2005 545i.? I was initially leaning towards the the 530i (with the new R6 engine), but with the performance of the 545i and additional standard options, it seems to make more sense.

I have had several cars with a manual trans and it seems to be a challenge when selling the car.? I was surprised that even selling a 300Z (in perfect condition, with a manual trans) was difficult.? I would expect most buyers of a sports car to prefer a stick, but apparently this is not the case - at least in South FL.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the sportronic vs manual trans - from a driver's standpoint and from a resale standpoint.

Also, I've sent messages to nine BMW dealers in the area regarding European Delivery, but they have had generic responses and poor follow-up.? Please respond if you know a good contact for ED.? I'd like to pick up the car in April or May 2005.
[snapback]70564[/snapback]
I live in South Florida and I've always driven cars with manual tranny. At least for me it's been very easy to sell my cars.

I know of at least 4 friends that drive BMW cars and they are all manual tranny.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:58 AM
JDN
Contributors

I always sell my own cars and they have had manual transmissions for years. I never felt like I made a price reduction because of the manual. I remember a particular Volvo I sold with a stick. A mother bought it for a young daughter who was insisting on a manual. Problem was, she had never driven one. Nevertheless, she was undaunted. The last time I saw my Volvo, it was leap frogging down the street with an apparently happy little girl practicing the brief lesson I gave her in stick shifting.

There is a manual transmission cult out there that will not buy anything else.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Contributors

welcome e60fl

trannys are really a drivers choice, and if you are spending big on your car, get what you want, you will find someone who will love a 6-speed...

that being said, you should consider test driving an SMG, its fun and no clutch (to engage anyway)

good luck
Old 12-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 20 2004, 10:01 AM
that being said, you should consider test driving an SMG, its fun and no clutch (to engage anyway)
[snapback]70738[/snapback]
I agree but with one caution...read the SMG FAQ and all the links in the thread. You can't form an accurate opinion on an SMG with a short test drive...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Contributors

e60fl:
Welcome to the forum. I have a six speed and wouldn't trade it for anything, smooth as silk. I agree there is a smaller market for manuals, but it is a dedicated market. I wouldn't look at a car without a manual, just my .02.
Quick rant: Is it really necessary to "quote" the original thread twice more in 11 comments? It seems to clutter the forum for me. No big deal, just my personal observation.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by juan2mini' date='Dec 20 2004, 12:25 PM
Quick rant: Is it really necessary to "quote" the original thread twice more in 11 comments? It seems to clutter the forum for me. No big deal, just my personal observation.
[snapback]70768[/snapback]
I think many people are just using the "reply" button which automatically quotes the post. I think the way the software is set up with the "quote" and "reply" buttons right next to each other, it confuses people and they think that "reply" won't quote the message.

Either way, I don't think it's anything to get too excited about...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I think if you trade your car in, the dealer will hit you for having a manual, even BMW. If you sale your car, you will find someone who is looking for a manual specifically, especially with the various avenue's we have nowadays for selling cars (internet, paper, etc.). The dealer is always going to cheat you on a trade-in anyway, so I wouldn't go that route with a manual or automatic. The price of a manual BMW should be less than the price of an equivalent automatic because the automatic costs more (525 and 530). Just like leather seats versus cloth, if you look up used prices, cars with leather sale for more, but they also sold for more when they were new. I agree with the other members, buy what you want so that you will enjoy it while you have it, then when you sale it, be patient and everything will take care of itself.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Dec 20 2004, 10:16 AM
I think if you trade your car in, the dealer will hit you for having a manual, even BMW.
[snapback]70808[/snapback]
i went to test drive before i got my car. the sales advisor showed me a orient blue w/beige interior and told me that is the hottest and most popular color combo. he told me if i like the car, i can take it that day. however, i told him my e39 is the same color combo and it parked right in front of their door. after i finished test driving the car (only about 10 minutes), we walked back to his desk and passed right by my e39. you know what he said? he said, "is it your car? oh, nobody wants this color now. i can accept it as a trade in but you'll lose big money." man, wtf ! what i'm trying to say is the dealer will hit you no matter what type of trans you have. they'll easily make up some kind of stupid reasons .
Old 12-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Dec 20 2004, 01:55 PM
i went to test drive before i got my car.? the sales advisor showed me a orient blue w/beige interior and told me that is the hottest and most popular color combo.? he told me if i like the car, i can take it that day.? however, i told him my e39 is the same color combo and it parked right in front of their door.? after i finished test driving the car (only about 10 minutes), we walked back to his desk and passed right by my e39.? you know what he said?? he said, "is it your car?? oh, nobody wants this color now.? i can accept it as a trade in but you'll lose big money."? man, wtf !? what i'm trying to say is the dealer will hit you no matter what type of trans you have.? they'll easily make up some kind of stupid reasons .
[snapback]70822[/snapback]
But once again thats YOUR dealer. I feel so sorry for you, they sound like real d@#k heads from the sales staff, to service and especially your parts gept.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

hormazd, you are so right . i couldn't agree with you more .

Quick Reply: e60 manual trans - resale challenge in US?