E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 LED Plate lights that dont strobe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 M5
Default E60 LED Plate lights that dont strobe?

Hey guys, i bought some LED plate lights for my car. They dont throw errors, but upon startup they strobe and flicker.

Are there any brands or LED plate lights that dont flicker/strobe and dont throw error codes?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Got mine from Burgermotor Sport, no problems at all - LED License Plate Light Upgrade for BMW - BurgerTuning.com
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Members

Smile

I bought these for my 2008 528i about 8 months ago from Amazon.

2pcs 36mm 2-SMD 1.5" Canbus Error Free Dome Light LED Bulbs 6411 6418 C5W - White : Amazon.com : Automotive 2pcs 36mm 2-SMD 1.5" Canbus Error Free Dome Light LED Bulbs 6411 6418 C5W - White : Amazon.com : Automotive

They work perfectly. No strobing, No errors. The light color perfectly matches the LED exterior ground lights in the outside door mirrors.

The amount of light output is slightly brighter than the old-fashioned normal license plate bulbs that came from the factory.

Highly recommended.

No need to spend a lot of money on bulbs or replacement fixtures and bulb housings. These are $48 cheaper (when shipping is included) than the post above.

Last edited by acefuture; 01-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
Got mine from Burgermotor Sport, no problems at all - LED License Plate Light Upgrade for BMW - BurgerTuning.com
The one i bought look exactly like that and they strobe when i start my car.
No errors but they flicker for 5 seconds whenn car starts.

Originally Posted by acefuture

2pcs 36mm 2-SMD 1.5" Canbus Error Free Dome Light LED Bulbs 6411 6418 C5W - White : Amazon.com : Automotive

They work perfectly. No strobing, No errors. The light color perfectly matches the LED exterior ground lights in the outside door mirrors.

The amount of light output is slightly brighter than the old-fashioned normal license plate bulbs that came from the factory.

Highly recommended.

No need to spend a lot of money on bulbs or replacement fixtures and bulb housings. These are $48 cheaper (when shipping is included) than the post above.
Ahh those r really cheap! Lol but if they dont strobe thay what i want!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

What year is your car? And where did you get your lights from? I love the ones i have and they are bright, those cheap ones with 2 led bulbs are not bright enough.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Members

. . . those cheap ones with 2 led bulbs are not bright enough.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Those "cheap" bulbs are perfect in my opinion. Pure white light, brighter than stock tungsten bulbs. I deliberately searched a lot, trying to find LED lights that were not too bright. These look identical in brightness and color to 2013 BMW's that come with LED license lights as standard.

Now, if you're the kind of owner who likes bluish/purplish tinted 6000k or 8000k xenon bulbs in your headlights/ or use blue colored halogen bulbs trying to fake a xenon look, and are trying to show off or draw attention to your car for being "different", then these 2 LED bulbs probably aren't for you. Go ahead and get LEDs with 6 or 8 bulbs in them and make the rear of your car look like a spotlight, if that's what you want. To me that type of look is very ghetto. I prefer an understated more stock type look.

As in example, to give you an idea of the kind of driver I am and what I think looks good, the only time I turn on the fog lights on my car is when the weather is foggy!

To each his own.

Last edited by acefuture; 01-28-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Those "cheap" bulbs are perfect in my opinion. Pure white light, brighter than stock tungsten bulbs. I deliberately searched a lot, trying to find LED lights that were not too bright. These look identical in brightness and color to 2013 BMW's that come with LED license lights as standard.

Now, if you're the kind of owner who likes bluish/purplish tinted 6000k or 8000k xenon bulbs in your headlights/ or use blue colored halogen bulbs trying to fake a xenon look, and are trying to show off or draw attention to your car for being "different", then these 2 LED bulbs probably aren't for you. Go ahead and get LEDs with 6 or 8 bulbs in them and make the rear of your car look like a spotlight, if that's what you want. To me that type of look is very ghetto. I prefer an understated more stock type look.

As in example, to give you an idea of the kind of driver I am and what I think looks good, the only time I turn on the fog lights on my car is when the weather is foggy!

To each his own.
You have a point. But i like the bright look it matches my LED taillights. I like to drive with my fog lights on for style. I have yellow bulbs and they match my eyebrows on my car :-)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
New Members

What year is your car? And where did you get your lights from? I love the ones i have and they are bright, those cheap ones with 2 led bulbs are not bright enough.
I have a late build 2009 M5. I got the bulbs from Highperformancebulbs.com. They are super bright! and throw no error codes, but everytime i start the car it strobes, they company told me its the car during a bulb check and the LED flicker. But im trying to find ones that dont flicker, bright or not honestly.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

The flicker is not the bulb but your car doing a system check. Since you are switching to led bulbs that take significantly less power to run, the small amount of current sent to the bulb to verify they work is what makes them flicker. The only way I've seen it fixed is to get some coding done stopping the cold check. The downside would be when you do have a bulb out you won't know till you see it. To me it's not a big deal since it only happens on startup. I got my side markers and license plate lights from Nerweezy at Trinity Autosport and they are super bright white LEDs. The guys from Trinity are on the forum and they are good guys.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:23 PM
New Members

2pcs 36mm 2-SMD 1.5" Canbus Error Free Dome Light LED Bulbs 6411 6418 C5W - White : Amazon.com : Automotive

Highly recommended.

Ace, how are these lights holding up?

I'm like you and want something that's not overly bright...I like the look of the stock BMW led lights and it seems like that's what these bulbs provide.

Quick Reply: E60 LED Plate lights that dont strobe?