E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 on icy roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Delivery 11/30/05: 2006 - 550i 6-speed, Monaco Blue, Auburn, Antracite headliner, M aero, sport, nav, HUD, cold weather, sun shades, folding seat, rearseat heat and air bags, Logic 7, Serius, SR-7 Detector, M wheels Previous Ride - 2002 540 6-speed, sport, turning in with 114,000 wonderful miles

Some of us here in the States put winter tires on as well. Don't wish it on yourself. It is interesting that with Winter Sports, my 550 outperforms my wife's all wheel drive FX35 in most winter driving. (Her's has all season 20" tires.)

Like those of you in norther European climates, I can hardly wait to put summer shoes on my baby!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Contributors

Using winter tires is not a great joy, it is merely mandated by weather conditions, and by law as well in Northern Europe. If you get caught driving with anything else than proper snow tires (all seasons will not do) in Dec/Jan/Feb you can get a couple of hundred euros fine. And not using proper snow tires is a legal excuse for the insurance companies not to pay anything in case of an accident..

The day when I can change to summer rubber is always one of the best days of the year.
Usually happens late March.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Znod' post='249846' date='Mar 4 2006, 09:04 PM
Many thanks to both of you. Have you guys seen the latest on the g-meter testing thread (page 18)?
Znod, I think you a dreadful person, who should be made to stand in the High street whilst people throw rotten fruit at you.

You are without doubt responible for at least three world wars and the Black Plague in 1373.

..............................Sorry but it just didn't seem right you posting and nobody flaming you.

There, that's the balance of the universe restored, now back to the forum.........................
Old 03-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

We had some bad snow on Friday & i was in the E90 320ES Loaner, but did struggle to get any grip from the rear. Roads were very bad for a couple of hours, but i could see how the RWD & over active traction control can make for difficult driving. Inclines were a real problem, only managing about 5-10mph & convinced i was going to stop & end up rolling backwards, however the car did make it. I guess my E60 would be pretty much the same.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

below +7 C degrees (you will count to F) we need winter tires, I never saved money on tires. (Now I did as I bought the best winning/ econom. tires: Hankook Icebear W300 nn-RFT and they are superb, I wanted Contis Ts 108 but noway worthing that $$.) As we spent a lot of $$$ on our cars I want to be safe so my baby. I like to test my tires, even if there cud be something wrong so I did 230km/h in Germany, and then came a big snow storm so slowed down to max 110km/h, it was night bi-xenons on...really like Milleneum Falcon jumping to light speed...I was driving all nite.
We went home (CE) and there was big snow on the Autobahn in Germay, Austria etc.) the car handling is perfect-and although I like the innovations, I wud never buy X-drive 5er, no offence though- on ice and big snow DSC is always on. In Germany where we have 4 lanes I cud practice that when I take over to an outer lane I just do NOT press on the gas just steer to that lane, once I am there I can even normally "floor" it. The a$$ of the car is only sliding if you turn and give more gas than needed.
In the evening I looked for a wide-open empty place (like a parking place) and all DSC, DTC off... that is where the fun begins. ( once in big snow 30cm+ I was stucked then switched off DSC and it launched out without probs.

BMW and RWD are one, and no probs on ice, if you do not forget physics and your capabilities.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Contributors

I have an appropriate question for this thread. Is it recommended to press your DSC button once to have DTC show up on the screen when driving on ice and snow? I always get confused what that is for. As you can tell from my sig, I too have winter shoes and look forward to the day I can put the summer shoes on as well but i must say, the Dunlop Winter Sports are truly fantastic.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Contributors

On normal icy or snowy roads you should definitely not press the button, but keep the full traction and stability control activated.

If you get stuck in deep snow or have troubles progressing in deep snow, then you should press the button once to de-activate the traction control. That allows you to rock the car with throttle to get it moving.

Pressing twice will de-activate all electronic helpers. Try on your own risk...
Old 03-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='250057' date='Mar 5 2006, 01:49 PM
I have an appropriate question for this thread. Is it recommended to press your DSC button once to have DTC show up on the screen when driving on ice and snow? I always get confused what that is for. As you can tell from my sig, I too have winter shoes and look forward to the day I can put the summer shoes on as well but i must say, the Dunlop Winter Sports are truly fantastic.
see here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19854

AGREE with Heikki do not touch that in traffic or Autobahn.
I did 110km/ h and all was on but gave a nice gas and the rear I saw in the mirror so ok steered and did not even brake, but was more fun like no fear, but still do not touch it in the winter.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

One shouldn't do things like that while driving 110 km/h Someone might get hurt.

Citating Heikki: The day when I can change to summer rubber is definitely one of the best days of the year. Definitely. It's bloody euphoric to put the pedal to the medal and actually get all 272 horses on the tarmac
Old 03-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Fin535dA' post='250200' date='Mar 5 2006, 09:05 PM
One shouldn't do things like that while driving 110 km/h Someone might get hurt.

Citating Heikki: The day when I can change to summer rubber is definitely one of the best days of the year. Definitely. It's bloody euphoric to put the pedal to the medal and actually get all 272 horses on the tarmac
I second previous comments! But I have to say that there is certain up sides in winter! One is of course to drive BMW!!! I just love it. It's just so logical in it's behaviour and power slides are so easy!

But to follow my fellow compatriots I have to say that it's more relaxed driving in summer.

Skaffa

Quick Reply: E60 on icy roads