E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 on icy roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

We have had really icy road conditions for a couple of weeks now
and it seems that the same conditions will stay the next week also.

In the night time the temp goes down to - 15 C and in the daytime it
keeps colder than -6 C.

On top of all we have got a few centimeters of snow raining everyday.

All this means that the roads are icy and no salt can be used.

The E60's driving characteristics are really showing its strengths in this conditions.

The car is in full balance in curves with no engine power nor braking force on,
weight 50/50.

Getting out of curves or braking in curves the DSC keeps the car in line.

The only thing one has to keep in mind is the Newton laws, otherwise the car handles excellent.

E60 is a heck of an car, the exteme conditions only brings it even more out!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Rr:

I always reply to those moving down the page with zero replies. I always fear that they will feel rejected or that their comments don't count (really).

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I was interested in hearing about it. No ice in Phoenix. I'm glad overall. But, I really do love icy/snowy winters. I just don't like to mix them with cars. Same with rain. I love very threatening thunderstorms.

And, another reason for replying in a chatty way is to give my harassers a chance to call me a post whore some more. Funny, they think I care what I am called. And, I kind of like the distinction even if I do post only because I enjoy the interaction with those having common interests. Maybe I could donate my posts to the less fortunate and take a charitable deduction.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Znod, this Forum needs the gentleman you are, thank you!
Just keep the computer on

No one likes the cold, thrust me on this.

But the pros and cons of an car can be measured only in extreme contitions,
and we have them now - the cons

All the respect for V8's but in these conditions power do not rule, the xDrive could!

And sorry to say, seems like our little DSG test will not be done, before spring at least.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Znod' post='249808' date='Mar 4 2006, 11:47 AM
Hi Rr:

I always reply to those moving down the page with zero replies. I always fear that they will feel rejected or that their comments don't count (really).

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I was interested in hearing about it. No ice in Phoenix. I'm glad overall. But, I really do love icy/snowy winters. I just don't like to mix them with cars. Same with rain. I love very threatening thunderstorms.

And, another reason for replying in a chatty way is to give my harassers a chance to call me a post whore some more. Funny, they think I care what I am called. And, I kind of like the distinction even if I do post only because I enjoy the interaction with those having common interests. Maybe I could donate my posts to the less fortunate and take a charitable deduction.
Keep up the good work Znod. You've shown considerably better grace and class than your detractors.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I am envious of you Euro's that put snow tires on every year.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='249830' date='Mar 4 2006, 10:28 PM
Don't!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='249830' date='Mar 4 2006, 03:28 PM
Why? When it snows in NY I just keep my summer tires on and go drifting
Old 03-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='249821
Keep up the good work Znod. You've shown considerably better grace and class than your detractors.
Many thanks to both of you. Have you guys seen the latest on the g-meter testing thread (page 18)?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

I'm really surprised (pleasantly) to hear that your car did so well in the ice.

I live in Southern Arkansas where we have ice a full 2 days of the year!!!

Anyway with my 525iA e60, I was too scared to drive around in the snow, especially taking into consideration all the horror stories you hear of BMWs in ice. Also, I only have 215 horses as compared to your 300+.

So I went around, successfully, in my wife's innocent Corrolla (front wheel drive)
Old 03-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='249830' date='Mar 4 2006, 10:28 PM
Don't indeed. I like my summer 18"... I just cannot wait to wear them again.

Quick Reply: E60 on icy roads