E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

e60 had a meltdown...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='872207' date='May 8 2009, 07:26 AM
You need a new alternator and new battery. I had something similar like that. Dealer replaced it for me. =)
+1, exact same thing happened to me, new battery and new alternator. Appx $1500 later......
Old 05-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Contributors

Arrow

Originally Posted by UTVol545i' post='873854' date='May 9 2009, 08:08 PM
My thoughts as well. You would think there would be some warnings.. slow starts, dynamic drive issues, slow i-drive screen... something that would clue you in to battery/alternator issues...

I asked one of the SA's about this and he basically just shrugged his shoulders and said, "yeah, on about half of these cars they just go, no warning, nothing"...

For the record, I mean an actual warning in the iDrive or dash. If it can tell me I have low pressure in my tires, or that my washer fluid is low, why can't it tell me that my alternator is not working as efficiently as it should? Over time it would begin to send less and less energy to the battery if I understand how these work. Maybe they truly do 'just go bad all of a sudden,' but I have a hard time believing that.

When it sends less energy than what is within specs, or generates less, whatever, there should be an icon that pops up for that part and a written warning to that effect, or at least the general 'take to service center' etc.

My point is that we shouldn't have to 'look' for these signs -- the BMW should tell us, especially when one considers how important this one part is to the rest of the car and its ability to even operate. The battery's performance should likewise be monitored by the car, not by the driver. Shame on them as far as I'm concerned. It's not in keeping with the rest of the engineering nor the concept behind why these have an iDrive type device.

Just my $.03 ...
Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by juris335' post='873677' date='May 9 2009, 03:57 PM
Souldn't your dealer have seen the fault log in the car computer displaying each and every warning that you just got? If he sees those then how can he say nothing was wrong?
SA led me to understand at the time was that whatever had happened had been reset once I turned the car off and restarted. My initial thought was "BS," but when I realized I couldn't really argue the point with something the SA likely couldn't replicate, I figured I'd just trust the gal.

I've had it in at the dealer (different one) once more since then and mentioned the "event" and they basically told me the same thing.

I would think if it was a problem with the alternator like the OP, I'd have experienced problems since then. I'll get the alternator checked during my next service appt though. That's why we're here reading, right?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i Silver Grey (A08)

I'm getting a kick out of all your descriptions from the SA, like "idrive, radio, and exterior trim things" and telling you that they are not sure which caused what, which directly contrasts exactly WHAT YOU WERE JUST TOLD! Plus they are not sure why it happens, it just does. Wow lol.

Rule number 1: Be smarter than the equipment.

I'm not saying that all SA need to earn doctoral degrees in electrical engineering, but there has to be some happy median there. I really hate when people say things not because they think they are correct, but because they think they can get away with it. If this happens to half of all the cars with this problem, then maybe it's worth someone's time to find the answer as to why it's not covered under the CPO warranty.

Rant over, we now return you o your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I need to change my battery, dealer claims that it has a low charge. Recommendations please: should I buy a BMW OEM battery and install it myself or buy it elsewhere cheaper? Also once I replace it, do I need to reset anything in the iDrive? Thanks

Originally Posted by einstein57' post='872860' date='May 8 2009, 07:02 PM
centennial makes a great battery for our cars. I have the 75 month premium battery with 850 cca.